IHRA changing to 1/8th mile in 2008? (1 Viewer)

First time on but this topic deserves a response. i've been addicted to drag racing since 73 and there is no way i'm wasting my money to see a 1/8 mile race. I attended last year's abbreviated race in San Antonio and for those pure racing fanatics it was pathetic. Funny thing, those first timers in the stands loved it. maybe the IHRA can promote it but I'll be in Houston and Dallas(NHRA) instead, or at least until clearer heads prevail.

I think you'll find a LOT of agrrement there!;)

Hmmmmm....

I'm hearing that US 131's event will be run @ 1000 foot length as they already have the set up for 1000 ft mph calculations. Also, going on the shortest track logic from above, it would stand to reason as US 131 is the shortest total length track that is on the tour. Top fuel cars will run 300mph in 1000ft...it's been measured.

Chunking tires....breaking chassis....you do the math.

Brian

Last edited:
First time on but this topic deserves a response. i've been addicted to drag racing since 73 and there is no way i'm wasting my money to see a 1/8 mile race. I attended last year's abbreviated race in San Antonio and for those pure racing fanatics it was pathetic. Funny thing, those first timers in the stands loved it. maybe the IHRA can promote it but I'll be in Houston and Dallas(NHRA) instead, or at least until clearer heads prevail.
Welcome to the Mater, Tony (jalo) Pena..:cool:

Hey Brian just wanted to let you know we have finished the new program that takes the 1000 ft time and calculates it to 1320 et and mph. So all races will only be 1000 ft and the racers can shut off there and the scoreboards will show the calculated ET and MPH so the spectators will never know.

Hey Brian just wanted to let you know we have finished the new program that takes the 1000 ft time and calculates it to 1320 et and mph. So all races will only be 1000 ft and the racers can shut off there and the scoreboards will show the calculated ET and MPH so the spectators will never know.

Oh sure, not until you told us!:)

You people never cease to amaze me, first you want to slow the cars down in keep your favorite driver safe, then the IHRA has the balls to make a decision to run a national event 1/8th mile to make it safer (allthough I would rather see 1/4 mile racing), then you complain about the track length being shortened. Make up your minds will ya!

Last edited:
I'm not sure I like San Antonio being enshrined as an 1/8th mile event. It seemed like a good call this year when the track surface broke up, but something about it just seems wrong. However, it might make seeing the race a bit easier since I like to sit at the burnout box and my old eyes have trouble making things out 1/4 mile away - it'd be half as hard to see the races.

What I don't like about 1/8 mile (especially in nitro classes) is that if one car loses traction, the race is pretty much instantly over. Not much chance for a pedal-fest. I'd be happier with 1000 foot - that'd at least give a bit more time to recover from shake/smoke.

Hmmmmm....

I'm hearing that US 131's event will be run @ 1000 foot length as they already have the set up for 1000 ft mph calculations. Also, going on the shortest track logic from above, it would stand to reason as US 131 is the shortest total length track that is on the tour. Top fuel cars will run 300mph in 1000ft...it's been measured.

Chunking tires....breaking chassis....you do the math.

Brian

Well that would stink as I usually try to go to that one. I was at the funny car nationals they had this year. Due to the cold and moisture they ran 1/8 for the nitro pair. It was the first time I had seen 1/8 mile nitro. I wasn't impressed, its over before it starts.

thanks get me all fired up over nothing :)

I'm not sure I like San Antonio being enshrined as an 1/8th mile event. It seemed like a good call this year when the track surface broke up, but something about it just seems wrong. However, it might make seeing the race a bit easier since I like to sit at the burnout box and my old eyes have trouble making things out 1/4 mile away - it'd be half as hard to see the races.

What I don't like about 1/8 mile (especially in nitro classes) is that if one car loses traction, the race is pretty much instantly over. Not much chance for a pedal-fest. I'd be happier with 1000 foot - that'd at least give a bit more time to recover from shake/smoke.

To run the Fuel Cars at San Antonio they have to use the neighbors land at the top end and he is real hard to deal with. Might be they could not work a deal anymore. Last year it got done at the last minute.

To run the Fuel Cars at San Antonio they have to use the neighbors land at the top end and he is real hard to deal with. Might be they could not work a deal anymore. Last year it got done at the last minute.

We have winner, the guy is 87+ years old the last time a car went into his land he held a gun on the driver and wouldn't let him get out of his car, a sherrif deputy had to called out so he could get out and be checked out by the emt's (he was ok btw) but he kept arguing with the deputy so another one was called, then the sherrif was called out, the the guy took a shot with his gun at the ground near the sherrif, so he spent 90 days in jail.

Well IHRA did bring back the fast cars so now they have to deal with short shutdown at some tracks.
On a side note Tony Shoe ran at a 1/8 mile track here and when asked he said it's like a long burnout then pull the Laundry.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back