If you could..... (1 Viewer)

yoda

Nitro Member
Based on this comment from another thread:

DING-DING-DING We Have a winner folks. Yes bring on injected nitro, but NOT against alky or Blown cars. End the never ending parity problems.

It doesn't work in TAD, it did'nt work in Pro-Comp. Start with 8-car fields if need be till more are built.
Inj. nitro vs Inj. nitro
Blown nitro vs. Blown nitro

FC vs FC
Dragster vs. Dragster
it's simple.

..If you could start from the ground up and re-invent the whole line up, from the fastest Pro catagory to the most affordable Sportsman class, what would you have?

Me:

Unlimited Nitro Car (a TF/FC style vehicle)
Pro Mod Supercharged/ AA/FA
Injected F/C
Injected F/D
Handicapped Blown Alky Dragster and Flopper
F.I. 500ci Pro Stock
Unlimited Comp- no box- dial in cars with breakout rules- A "fast Race Car" class for engineers (also would pick up those P/M cars on squeeze)
Modern Super Stock
Pre-1976 Super Stock
(the above two would then race their class winners for the S/S title)
Nitro Bike
F.I. Gas Bike

Friday three-shot qualifying for all; Saturday Night eliminations for the flamethrowers; Sunday eliminations for everyone else

:cool:

Last edited:
TF
FC
PS 500 cu in variety
Nitro Harley
Pro Mod
Comp
Top Dragster-open fields
Top Sportsman-open fields
Super Stock/Stock combo

2 time trials Friday, 1 Sat morning, first round Sat at 4pm and race under the lights. That would be my dream scenerio.

Maximum truck+trailer+car value of $99k in sportsman classes. Opponent can claim your truck/trailer/car for $99k if they think it's worth more than that.

Hey, I'm trying to come up with creative solutions to the financial downturn/mess we're all in, lol.

Pro Categories:
Top Fuel Dragster
Top Fuel Funny Car
Top Fuel Bike (Not just harleys, any bike that can meet the rules!)
Pro Stock Car
Pro Modified

Sportsman Categories:
A-fuel Dragster (As its own class under 100 % nitro)
Top Alcohol Dragster (the blown alky guys)

Damn thats all I got, this is going to take some more thought lol

I'd like to see the night session on friday moved to the last session on Saturday...talk about some drama, your 17th and everyone in front of you just ran their best times and you come out and go all the way down the track to the #1 spot...now thats what i call some entertainment! Paul Page would probably wig out lol

Pro Categories:
T/F - blown nitro dragsters
AA/FC - blown nitro funny cars
PMN - Pro Mod Nitrous
PMS - Pro mod supercharged
TFB - Top fuel bike (all makes/same rules)
P/S - Pro stock with FI. (cu.in max 400 ??)

Sportsman:
A/FD - inj. nitro dragster
A/FC - inj. nitro funny

TAD - Top akly dragster (blown)
TA/FC - Alky funny (blown)
Top Dragster
Top Sportsman

the .90 classes WITHOUT THROTTLE STOPS
Stock
Super/Stock

TREE: Instant green (eliminate 98% of red lights) After the 4th bulb is lit, A variable computer controlled delay of say 1 to 4 seconds, then green. (no flash of yellow). RT's are just as important, and we still have hole shot wins.

Qual: the quickest 16 race, does'nt mater what day you run well.
And of course go back to a TRUE SEASON CHAMPION no c-down

Tracks: Canopy covered (no more rain outs/delays)
Hey we are just dreamin here right?? ;):D

Last edited:
National Events:
PRO
-blown nitro dragster
-blown nitro funnycar
-blown pro mod
-nitro bikes

semi-SPORTSMAN
-alcohol dragster
-alcohol funnycar
-pro stock

EXHIBITION
-nostalgia nitro dragster
-nostalgia nitro funnycar
-jet cars / trucks

DIVISONAL EVENTS:
(you'd think true sportsman racers couldn't afford to go around the country)
-all classes not listed above

common in this thread (to this point)- no one wants to see pro stock bikes

National Events:
Nitro:
Top Fuel Dragsters
Top Fuel Funny Cars
Top Fuel Bikes

Alcohol:
Pro Comp (Dragsters vs. Funny Cars)
Pro Mods

Gas:
Pro Stock Cars
Pro Stock Bikes

Divisional Events:
Comp Eliminator
Super Stock
Stock
.90 classes

Last edited:
I'll post my answers tonight...

but, I'll give a hint... if it ain't nitro, it's not a Pro Class.

d'kid

i think all ya' gotta' do is go to one of these nostalgia events :cool:

Last edited:
Let's see what brings people to a National Event. I would split National Events into two weekends except The Big Go... we do have 48 weeks a season...

First weekend
Qualifying Thursday through Saturday
Headliners:
Pro Mod
Pro Stock (Using Engines available in Production Cars, at least 10,000 units of body type built with that engine, FWD must remain FWD. Stock Wheelbase only. 10.5" slicks only. Templates from factory vehicle must fit within 1/16th of an inch.) yepper, putting the stock back into Gas Floppers.
PSB
Alky/FC
AA/BAD

.90 classes
Super Stock
Stock

Weekend Two:
Friday: 1 Nitro Qualifying Run, starting at 4 PM
Saturday 3 Nitro Qualifying Runs 11, 2, 4:30
Sunday Eliminations 11 AM, 65 minutes between rounds ie T/F rd 2 should be 12:30 to 12:45... ect.
T/F (AA/FD)
AA/FC
A/FD
A/FC
Fuel Bikes

Top Dragster (Quick 64) Round 1 Saturday between round 3 and 4 of Nitro Qualifying
Top Sportsman (Quick 64) Round 1 Saturday between round 3 and 4 of Nitro Qualifying
Round Robin 16 car Hemi Shoot Out...

World Final:
Pros: Only Top 16 in Classes are invited. Pairings by draw. Note that we now have 10 Pro/Semi-Pro classes... Semi-Pros earn points at 12 N/E and 12 divisional level events...

Pro/Semi-Pro Points: Qualifying; 1=17pt, 2=16, 3=15, ect, 1 point for showing up and attempting to qualify. each round win 20 pts, event win 40 point bonus
National record for ET 50pts. National record for speed 50pts. Track ET record 20pts. Track speed record 20pts. All Points are Awarded To Entry, Not Driver.

Whatever Entry Earns the Most Points in a Class over 24 events Is the Class Champion.

Driver points are as follows; 1pt to qualify, 2 pts per round win, 4 pts bonus for event win, 3 pts ET record, 3 pts Speed record

The one Driver That Earns the Most Points Total Over the Season, regardless of Entry or Entries is the Season Champion.

d'kid

Two weekends? That's lots of hotel time and double threat of rainout but imagine all the PR stuff they could do locally.

I think adding extra classes would be too busy, simplify things. Maybe run blown alky dragsters and funnycars together with a .25 second handicap. Maybe allow injected nitro funnys and mix them with the dragsters. Give them back some of the rule changes and weight breaks. Imagine what these guys could do at 1988 weight breaks.

They axed PST and the import series and allow them to run in Comp so why not try that with S/C, S/G and S/ST. Might hear a bit of complaining when a racers 632" Vega has a 6.50 index instead of 10.90 but i'm sure they'll adapt. :)

Nick, nice catch on the lack of interest of PSB. I can't speak for the others, but to me a "PRO" class should have 1 set of rules. To have different min. weights and engine size makes them a handicap class. Sure they get the green at the same time, (making them look equal) but they are already handicaped in the pits.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy seeing them run, and have my favorites, I just don't feel they deserve "PRO" status.

Anyway, lots of interesting ideas here gang, keep 'em comming.

Karl, like yer thoughts on P/S. It's time to put "STOCK" back into Pro Stock. Now they are just un-blown gas F/C's. Except the 10.5" rule, let them have what ever tire they need. And FI, no carbs.

I'ld like to see the kings of the sport return to more of an unlimited class, not so restrictive. T/F & Nitro F/C should have :
1 a min. weight
2 a max. cu. in.
3 a max nitro %
and thats it. NO manditory tires, presure, wing angle, rev limiters, rear gears, ect. Give 'em back trans. also. 2-speed, 3-speeds, let them be inovative again.

Two weekends? That's lots of hotel time and double threat of rainout but imagine all the PR stuff they could do locally.

I think adding extra classes would be too busy, simplify things. Maybe run blown alky dragsters and funnycars together with a .25 second handicap. Maybe allow injected nitro funnys and mix them with the dragsters. Give them back some of the rule changes and weight breaks. Imagine what these guys could do at 1988 weight breaks.

They axed PST and the import series and allow them to run in Comp so why not try that with S/C, S/G and S/ST. Might hear a bit of complaining when a racers 632" Vega has a 6.50 index instead of 10.90 but i'm sure they'll adapt. :)

Tom.
Two Separate weekends, no overlap with the cars or classes. The only ones that NEED to be there both weekends is the ?HRA... I look at weekend one as a warm up for the Show cars the following weekend. Only Hardcore fans and racers. Weekend two is flat out the fastest of type. I would have called the first weekend Semi-Pro, but didn't want to piss off Motor City...

The Second point is to stop trying to mix apples and oranges... All ten PRO/Semi-Pro classes are heads up. No handicaps by make, no jacking around, run what you brung and hope you brung enuff.

As far as records and Handicaps... You Run it, and have another pass within 5%, that's the new National Record.

more later, off to work

d'kid

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back