...If anybody wants a race track..... (1 Viewer)

Ma Green

Nitro Member
The drag strip now called Champion Raceway in Medford, OR is going up for bid in January. Unless someone takes it over, it will most likely be closed, probably never to reopen again. It's a beautiful facility, with tons of potential for someone who has the creativity and funds to make it work. If you or someone you know are interested contact the Jackson County Parks Dept in Medford, OR.

Now I know why the Lucas Oil Divisional race scheduled for Sept. 24-26 which has traditionally been the date at Champion Raceway is now listed as TBA. Plus no dates listed for Spokane and Yellowstone either. Division Six is looking pretty slim these days.

Once we lose the Points Meet, we won't get it back either. That's one of the reasons we need to get someone in place very soon...even tho the County isn't putting it out to bid until January. They never have understood how everything works in the drag racing world.

Once we lose the Points Meet, we won't get it back either. That's one of the reasons we need to get someone in place very soon...even tho the County isn't putting it out to bid until January. They never have understood how everything works in the drag racing world.

Pat:

What's the story with the track? Didn't they recently put in concrete pads in the pits and other improvements in the last few years?

It's a great facility and it would be a shame to see it go away.

Randy

I've been buying Hot Rod magazine since the mid-fifties, and Hot Rod used to cover NHRA Points meets (NO KIDDING!!!)

I remember seeing race reports from Medford, with pictures, in the rotogravure section of Hot Rod in '56 and '57, and was curious as to whether this might be the same strip.

Is it?

If so, it must be one of the longest-tenured drag strips on the West Coast (along with the Dust Devils' Inyokern.)

Sure would be shame to ee something with that kind of history go away...

Maybe NHRA could buy it????

I think Jay is working with Spokane County - don't think he is interested in Champion, but it is too sad - hopefully someone will step up in January and purchase it.

I think Jay is working with Spokane County - don't think he is interested in Champion, but it is too sad - hopefully someone will step up in January and purchase it.

Maybe the track but the land is Jackson County property.
Jackson County built the track on county property to attempt to stop street racing.

Last I heard, Jay was not at Spokane. I've tried calling Spokane County officials to see what's up with the track for next year, but didn't get a call back.

All I can say about Medford is holy buckets what a shut down. The chicane at the top is so twisty that we can't take the nitro bikes back to the pits that way. When we run there, they make us pull off up hill to the left. We then have to sit there with our brakes on to keep us from rolling back onto the racing surface. When the last bike runs, we back onto the track, do a three point turn and roll back down the track towards the start line. I can usually make it down to about half track just coasting. Last year we ran a pass at night and there was so little light in the shut down that they had pickup trucks parked with their lights on so we could see the track. Not my favorite track to run on for sure. Still, it would be a shame to lose it, just as it would be a shame to lose Renegade in Yakima or any other track for that matter.

Is the county offering any incentives? This is on county property, so is the redevelopment agency for the county involved at all? Just curious if anyone knows this info.

Thanks

EDIT: Looks as though Jim is trying to remedy the situation or is this an "old" update?

Champion Raceway Home

Last edited:
Here's the deal: Jay was let go from Spokane last July by the Spokane lease owner. he told me that and directly. He told me he has irons in the fire. I hope he takes it over if Jim Taylor does not.

Jackson County owns the property, which also includes a dirt oval, dirt cart and paved carting tracks. Each is run by different people. Jim Taylor was not allowed to renew his lease. It was more than obvious that he had no money and expected everyone else to foot the bills, including the County. The deal is that the lease is very cheap, however, you pay for everything.

I doubt that Jay Livingston has the cash it will take to run the place. I would estimate that having $75,000 to $100,000 in the bank would give you the backing to make it work.....assuming you really know what you're doing, which, in my opinion, Taylor didn't, nor would he listen to anyone who wanted to help.

It is a beautiful facility, with a ton of potential. Most of the things needed are cosmetic, including paving the main portion of the pits and getting rid of all the rocks. There are concrete pads in part of the pits, but rocks all around them. A bit of creativity in promotion and I, & others here in town, feel like to could be a great place.

Having a guy with little money running the track would be better than seeing it close. Which i hope and pray won't happen.

The drag strip now called Champion Raceway in Medford, OR is going up for bid in January. Unless someone takes it over, it will most likely be closed, probably never to reopen again. It's a beautiful facility, with tons of potential for someone who has the creativity and funds to make it work. If you or someone you know are interested contact the Jackson County Parks Dept in Medford, OR.

That's too bad. Jim Taylor treated us well whenever we raced there. As much as he promoted, I never saw any kind of a crowd support the place although I never went to a Division race there. The Friday night high school drags had bigger crowds than the nostalgia races he put on. The snobs from the Portland area never went South of Woodburn. Color me sad.

I remember seeing race reports from Medford, with pictures, in the rotogravure section of Hot Rod in '56 and '57, and was curious as to whether this might be the same strip.

The 50's track is Camp White which was just a couple miles northwest of the current track. I hope somebody takes it over. There seems to be a bunch of tracks in limbo this off season. :(

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back