6 degrees of separation (1 Viewer)

Ssfuel

Nitro Member
How does any prospective fan or someone interested in “learning the ropes” or dream of becoming involved in a “sport” with such strong lineage before your eyes. Can anyone ever possibly think it’s still hard work and what you know, Vs who you know?
If I shot in the 60’s in gold I can go big time regardless is my last name was woods or Miller. Let’s be real, in NHRA you better have strong blood lines. I was once told the real “ability” or talent was in the sportsman ranks, I was gullible enough to say no, can’t be, they don’t have the word “pro” attached their vehicle. Let’s take a look at the family tree from a far, a distant layman’s view, I’m sure the ties run deeper by those further in the know. So anyone looking to get into a potential sport or career, unless you have super deep pockets or strong nepotism going on, why would anyone begin the dream.

Force
John, Ashley, Cortney, Britney (daughters, pretty strong connection) Dan hood, Robert Height (current and past son in laws, married to daughters, strong connection)

Austin prock, Eric medlen (rip) - sons of forces past or current crew chiefs, strong connection

Brandon Bernstein -father kenny

Bode (Bob then Bobby)

jim head-Chad head

Alexis dejoria (father billionaire John)

morgan lucas (father ceo of lucas oil)

kalitta (nephew of Connie)

Let’s face it, this is a movie, and there are those scripted to be in it, and most others not, and there’s nothing you can do apart from winning the lottery to get in. This has become on par with a yacht race, where those who can enter must buy a 15 million dollar yacht in order to even sign up.

to me, this is the biggest reason, among many, the sport has declined. When a kid is taken to a motocross event, and wants to one day be a pro, most will have access to a used dirt bike and line up to show there stuff (used bike can be had for ~$1500, yes a lot, but not even in the same hemisphere of a nitro car)
Same goes for a person interested in baseball, football etc. no giant barrier to get in, believability that you can work your way to success, which yields you more able participants, more interest in attending races, shows, training schools etc.

And yes I know the sport is expensive. Always was, but the idea you can obtain a ride of skill alone was once alive. By force handing rides to family only, along with other teams, the perception has gone from hey I want to do this, to hey this is a members only country club I was not picked to be a part of

sorry for the rant, just not a fan of the direction things have been going. I am a big baseball fan, and hate the Yankees. If like watching to see underdogs beat them. If tomorrow Steinbrenner was allowed to buy 6 other teams, reason being he can and has the funds, i along with countless others would stop watching and stop going. The competitive edge would be lost, and no longer believeable.

many things gotta change of things are to survive, let alone thrive. Some energy would help too, the broadcast seems weak too, and having special guest tahbler had made it feel like it’s gone from amateur hour to watching CSPAN with him there.

When I met John Force for the first time, he was a greasy, filthy, first round duck at our AHRA Grand American where he was NOT a booked-in car. He was driving the truck and eating baloney sandwiches. When I met Connie Kalitta for the first time, he wasn't the super wealthy guy he is today. But like Force, he had fantastic work ethic. (Yes, it was a very, very long time ago.)
Yesterday's Indy Funny Car winner didn't grow up with a silver spoon in his mouth and Daniel Wilkerson just happens to be his son who also knows how to work hard.
Bernstein started a restaurant business in Texas and grew it to where he could have fun racing. He was smart enough to get one of the early big name sponsors by parking his funny car in the Budweiser Corporate parking lot in St. Louis. It made an impression on AB that lasted for decades. Yeah, Brandon was able to use what his dad built to enjoy the top level of drag racing (I think) for a while.
Dejoria and Lucas parents both made it on their own. Yes, the kids have advantages. But would you rather everybody with a few bucks stay home and only the guys using worn out blower belts and other parts with way too many runs to be the show you bought tickets to?
If you end up being very successful, I hope you allow your son to participate in your success too.

Last edited:
How does any prospective fan or someone interested in “learning the ropes” or dream of becoming involved in a “sport” with such strong lineage before your eyes. Can anyone ever possibly think it’s still hard work and what you know, Vs who you know?
If I shot in the 60’s in gold I can go big time regardless is my last name was woods or Miller. Let’s be real, in NHRA you better have strong blood lines. I was once told the real “ability” or talent was in the sportsman ranks, I was gullible enough to say no, can’t be, they don’t have the word “pro” attached their vehicle. Let’s take a look at the family tree from a far, a distant layman’s view, I’m sure the ties run deeper by those further in the know. So anyone looking to get into a potential sport or career, unless you have super deep pockets or strong nepotism going on, why would anyone begin the dream.

Force
John, Ashley, Cortney, Britney (daughters, pretty strong connection) Dan hood, Robert Height (current and past son in laws, married to daughters, strong connection)

Austin prock, Eric medlen (rip) - sons of forces past or current crew chiefs, strong connection

Bode (Bob then Bobby)

jim head-Chad head

Let’s face it, this is a movie, and there are those scripted to be in it, and most others not, and there’s nothing you can do apart from winning the lottery to get in. This has become on par with a yacht race, where those who can enter must buy a 15 million dollar yacht in order to even sign up.

to me, this is the biggest reason, among many, the sport has declined. When a kid is taken to a motocross event, and wants to one day be a pro, most will have access to a used dirt bike and line up to show there stuff (used bike can be had for ~$1500, yes a lot, but not even in the same hemisphere of a nitro car)
Same goes for a person interested in baseball, football etc. no giant barrier to get in, believability that you can work your way to success, which yields you more able participants, more interest in attending races, shows, training schools etc.

And yes I know the sport is expensive. Always was, but the idea you can obtain a ride of skill alone was once alive. By force handing rides to family only, along with other teams, the perception has gone from hey I want to do this, to hey this is a members only country club I was not picked to be a part of

sorry for the rant, just not a fan of the direction things have been going. I am a big baseball fan, and hate the Yankees. If like watching to see underdogs beat them. If tomorrow Steinbrenner was allowed to buy 6 other teams, reason being he can and has the funds, i along with countless others would stop watching and stop going. The competitive edge would be lost, and no longer believeable.

many things gotta change of things are to survive, let alone thrive. Some energy would help too, the broadcast seems weak too, and having special guest tahbler had made it feel like it’s gone from amateur hour to watching CSPAN with him there.
Couple things: Racing has always been expensive, maybe not to the degree it is today, but it's always taken, as Jim Dunn says, everything ya got. As far as the who you know aspect, is there any aspect of life that isn't benefitted by knowing the right people? Finally, we can't choose our parents, but you can just about meet anybody you want to if you're determined to network your way up in life. That applies, once again, to life in general, drag racing included. Just my thoughts.

Force

Bode (Bob then Bobby)

jim head-Chad head

Lots of good examples, but essentially the same point.

My opinion: YES, to get to the pro ranks, the expense is unquantifiable. Most drivers pay their way, with the exception of a few, very talented people. Others are so embedded with their sponsors, they are like ambassadors and the $ follows them. Everyone seems to think Matco is with DSR...wrong, Matco first had allegiance with Bazemore until 2006 when he was replaced by Beckman. They left DSR and followed Bazemore to David Powers for TF in '07...then went with Antron after Mike Ashley bought Powers TF team and subsequently sold to DSR. Now Antron is venturing on his own in 2022...guess what, Matco is following.
More recently, does anyone think Havoline just decided to run TF? Nope, they were a longtime sponsor of Laughlin and moved with him through classes, eventually ending up in TF.

So either you come into the sport with BIG$ to run the pro classes or you spend a years salary and get into sportsman...hey, maybe someone will notice you there, take a liking and give you an opportunity......it has happened ;-)

Lots of good examples, but essentially the same point.

My opinion: YES, to get to the pro ranks, the expense is unquantifiable. Most drivers pay their way, with the exception of a few, very talented people. Others are so embedded with their sponsors, they are like ambassadors and the $ follows them. Everyone seems to think Matco is with DSR...wrong, Matco first had allegiance with Bazemore until 2006 when he was replaced by Beckman. They left DSR and followed Bazemore to David Powers for TF in '07...then went with Antron after Mike Ashley bought Powers TF team and subsequently sold to DSR. Now Antron is venturing on his own in 2022...guess what, Matco is following.
More recently, does anyone think Havoline just decided to run TF? Nope, they were a longtime sponsor of Laughlin and moved with him through classes, eventually ending up in TF.

So either you come into the sport with BIG$ to run the pro classes or you spend a years salary and get into sportsman...hey, maybe someone will notice you there, take a liking and give you an opportunity......it has happened ;-)
Although I agree with most of your posts, what racers have started as sportsman and legitimately moved there way up without a paid plan ie force daughters, Morgan Lucas etc

countless of good sportsman like the biondos, fletcher, rampy, etc. And unless they hit the lottery, they will be bracket racing grrr sportsman racing on sundays with a crowd of 17

Although I agree with most of your posts, what racers have started as sportsman and legitimately moved there way up without a paid plan ie force daughters, Morgan Lucas etc

countless of good sportsman like the biondos, fletcher, rampy, etc. And unless they hit the lottery, they will be bracket racing grrr sportsman racing on sundays with a crowd of 17
Beckman, Langdon come to mind.

Beckman, Langdon come to mind.
JR Todd as well. I'm sure there are many more, maybe not all out there right now. But here's the deal, there's ALWAYS going to be way more talent than available seats out there. That's true in all forms of motorsports. Racing is expensive, always has been, always will be. So, not everyone will have a shot at a pro ride. Nothing wrong with that, it's just a fact. As far as nepotism, IMO there's nothing wrong with that either, that's why there are so many 2nd and 3rd generation racers out there.

Bobby, If you were running a TF or FC and your kid wanted to drive (and had the talent), would you give him the chance or hire a non-family member? I appreciate your post and understand where you're coming from but it would be hard to turn down a family member.

JR Todd as well. I'm sure there are many more, maybe not all out there right now. But here's the deal, there's ALWAYS going to be way more talent than available seats out there. That's true in all forms of motorsports. Racing is expensive, always has been, always will be. So, not everyone will have a shot at a pro ride. Nothing wrong with that, it's just a fact. As far as nepotism, IMO there's nothing wrong with that either, that's why there are so many 2nd and 3rd generation racers out there.
I remember many years ago when JR was a crew member on the (mainly) IHRA-campaigned Top Fueler of Bruce Litton. Read in the IHRA magazine where Bruce said JR had aspirations to drive, and he (Bruce) would probably give him a chance. That was probably over 30 years ago.

Racing, to me, is where nepotism makes the most sense. You've got a parent who is successful in racing and hopes their child(ren) will show an interest in the sport. What parent doesn't hope their child(ren) want to follow in their footsteps?
Who better to teach that young person about racing than their successful parent? That successful driver is also able to open doors that their child(ren) might not be able to open on their own. However, just having the door opened does not automatically make a person a good driver. They still need to work hard to prove themselves. Their parent can't drive the car for them.

Had a friend with a highly successful insurance agency. His son learned a lot of the ropes over dinner table and then took the proper courses to join dad's agency. Someday this well paid young guy will take over for his dad and pop can brag about it all the way to the bank.
Drag racings the same thing. But instead of the owner owning an insurance agency in a great neighborhood plus knowing insurance regulations and sales techniques, they own a race car team with all the equipment and have the technical and promotional skills to pass it successfully on to their kids. Sometimes...
My house of 16 years, has a septic system that needs pumping out every few years. The highly profitable company I use had my house serviced for many years by the owner's son.
That nepotism $hit happens.

Bobby, If you were running a TF or FC and your kid wanted to drive (and had the talent), would you give him the chance or hire a non-family member? I appreciate your post and understand where you're coming from but it would be hard to turn down a family member.
Ask Don Schumacher about Tony not having a car. Tony is a proven winner.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back