How Nostalgic are these Nostalgia cars? (1 Viewer)

Toejam

Nitro Member
I heard some of these guys are running Pro Mag's, 1471 Blowers, is that the case? I've never been to one of these races but these times sound awfully quick if they are running 1970's spec's.

The VRA/NFCA Funny Cars are restricted to 21 gallon fuel pump; 6-71 blower, and 18.99% blower overdrive; the quickest time in a VRA/NFCA legal funny car is 5.85 secs at 249.03mph.

The VRA/NFCA Funny Cars are restricted to 21 gallon fuel pump; 6-71 blower, and 18.99% blower overdrive; the quickest time in a VRA/NFCA legal funny car is 5.85 secs at 249.03mph.

I guess that means that today's 70's spec equipment is far superior to what those guys ran 30 years ago.

You could have made heat treated framerail fracturing horsepower in 1970, but there were no tires available that could lay down a .950 60' time with that power. Lots of the improvement is in the rubber.
But lest we forget that clutch technology is light years above 1970. Not to mention what we have learned from onboard computers. And we have ways to take timing out as some part of the run, put it back in at some part, etc.
All of this stuff adds together to make a quicker run. (And lest we not forget, that the tracks are smoother, better prepped, etc.)
But I like the limitations. Keeps things real.

You could have made heat treated framerail fracturing horsepower in 1970, but there were no tires available that could lay down a .950 60' time with that power. Lots of the improvement is in the rubber.
But lest we forget that clutch technology is light years above 1970. Not to mention what we have learned from onboard computers. And we have ways to take timing out as some part of the run, put it back in at some part, etc.
All of this stuff adds together to make a quicker run. (And lest we not forget, that the tracks are smoother, better prepped, etc.)

Goodyear did something GOOD with the tires? Shh don't tell all the people that are trying to throw them under the bus for the way they build tires now.

Holy Cow! A Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzz sighting!

As Steve Scott said above, these cars have that guttural, nasty, this SOB could come apart at any time and wipe the place out kind of sound that the cars simply don't make anymore.

I'm not an old salt that doesn't like the way the new cars sound, because they are beyond nasty, but the serious nostalgia cars like the Worsham's recreation of the Blue Max Mustang just ooze cool.

Quick story, 2005 NHRA race at the motorplex, Del made a run in that car. It was later on in the evening. I happened to be working in the press room at the time and most of the PR flak's and journalists were typing out their recap of the action from the day when they fired up the Blue Max. The local newspaper guy immediately and in a sort of knee-jerk amazement, blurted out, "What the hell is that?" One of the seasoned guys (and I use that term lovingly) shot back...."A real funny car." It was pretty funny.

Brian

Not to be a Buzzkill(sorry for the Pun!), but does the way the car sound at Idle get you to the track or how they sound going down the track? A Lot of the A-Fuel dragsters sound Nasty as hell when they High-side before staging, but once the tree comes down there's NO comparison between them and Top Fuel!

Goodyear has done lots for our sport. There is no question there. It is unfortunate that the 2300 is my least favorite tire for safety reasons since before the 1230's were even introduced. As far as I know, no one on this planet runs the 2300s unless mandated by the rules of their class. All of the AA/FA guys that I know, the 36" pro modified guys, all of the nostalgia guys that do not run Hoosiers or M/Ts, and all of the a-fuel guys prefer any of the 1400 series, preferably the 1430's, rather than run on the 2300. I am sure that there are those out there that run the 2300s, but no one that I know.
Also, there is something cool about the cackle of greater nitro percentages. If this sport is just a show for the fans, that is definitely a nice perk for the fans. It is part of the nitche of the nostalgia world. Yeah, they don't go as fast, but they sure do sound cool. Just part of something different. It is all for the fans, and I love it!

but does the way the car sound at Idle get you to the track or how they sound going down the track?

Joe, it's the burn-out ,backing up, and staging, not to mention the warm-ups in the pits. The classics are much sharper, or cleaner due to the small pump, idle volume & percentage.
The modern idle circuit gpm is more than double with the two big mags ,super blower at 45% over, and of course 85% vs 90%+. This makes the modern cars quieter (very rich),and sound like crap to us Geezers.
On the run the modern cars have 8000hp vs 2500hp for the classics so yes, they are much louder. The airflow through the engine today is huge compared to 1980. Thus eight foot flames today. Then they add 80 gpm vs 22 to the airflow!:eek:
You need to get to Bakersfield someday. :):cool:

With the exception of no flames pouring out of the windows, that looked like any bad fire from the 70's... They do a good job of sealing the cars up now, so even ugly weenie roasts like Randy's keep the driver from getting in a bad situation..

Randy does have some blisters and did inhale some smoke, but he's OK.

Randy does have some blisters and did inhale some smoke, but he's OK.

And as you remember Darr, a driver in 1974 would be looking at skin grafts, weeks in the hospital and possible career ending injuries, IF he/ she were lucky... Remember Shirley's fire?

Good to hear Randy's relatively "OK"- it was a pretty bad one from the pics

I'm a huge fan of Jr. Fuelers (then and now). Then they weighed 900 lb sans driver, were a 301 c.i. on straight nitro, had no electronics, and had relatively short wheelbases. Today they are nothing like that, but I still love them and am glad they are part of comp.

Currently, the front engine cars are using the M&H 12 inch tire. The new tire design is great, however, the tires are chunking when cars are running in the 5.70 (260) range. Crews are installing a set every run. Rumor has it that Goodyear may be designing a new tire to bring to the table. Has anyone heard about the proposed tire??

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back