HMMMM-Another NON Traditional Sponsor Leaves (1 Viewer)

Drag racing is what it is. It's never been an attractive market to wallstreet or Madison Ave, so once agian here's what I believe:

A. We're probably lucky to have the sponsors we have.

B. Very few companies are willing to spend what is required these days to field a car. So that's our problem.

C. NHRA is likely doing the best they can. I ask for demographics I get them quick. I know they will go where ever they are asked to go to pitch for a pro team.

At Pomona I looked through all these press kits and I couldn't believe all the sponsors this sport has had over the years. LOTS! Remember nothing in any racing venue lasts forever and when you count up all the pro teams, the ratio probably isn't much different then CART or IRL. We just happen to be in the low rent district.

It can be done but you have to work at it. I spend more time in promoting my team and sponsors than racing. This has it's disadvantages but I rarely ever spend time looking for new sponsors.

Last edited:
Either way, it's going to be interesting to see if HD can present a better exposure package to the viewing public worthy of major sponsorship? (or just flip the whole thing to Bruton Smith once the purchase is complete and see what a business man could do?)[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

One of my NASCAR contacts told me that Bruton is involved with the HD group. NHRA did not want to sell out to Bruton . . . is he sneaking in the back door? He reportedly wrote a $350,000,000 check last week to purchase a NASCAR venue so he could get a second race at LVMS.
It appears that he is committed to being involved in drag racing if the whole Charlotte scenario is true. A few hundred miliion (which appears to be petty cash for Mr. Smith) would go a LONG way towards improving the NHRA.
We can only hope! - Jim

Bruton is not a liquid hard cash type of person...He is the Chair of many venture capitalist groups...and involved in many angel investor teams...very little of that is his $$$$..

I wonder about the predatory practice that NHRA demonstrates to get National Event sponsorship!

It looks like a lot of individual teams' sponsors are now event sponsors now.

What do you think?:confused::confused::confused:

I will say that a few years ago there was a sponsor being lobbied by a team only to find that NHRA convinced them to sponsor a couples of races instead! That in itself tells me that NHRA's in it for themselves and NOT the racers!:confused:

I will say that a few years ago there was a sponsor being lobbied by a team only to find that NHRA convinced them to sponsor a couples of races instead! That in itself tells me that NHRA's in it for themselves and NOT the racers!:confused:

I know of two separate cases like you describe.

In one, a racer had sponsorship by a very large regional distributor of a mainstream product. This distributor was respected enough by the parent company that when he recommended the brand become involved they were eager to start a discussion. However, the then-current marketing VPs at NHRA would only help if they could handle the company on a private basis, with the team's rep being told to butt out. He refused, the company decided NHRA was a very strange operation, and they never became involved.

Second, there was a team which by some very hard work brought a mainstream account in for a three race deal. The NHRA reps were overjoyed and offered to wine and dine the sponsor as thanks for getting involved. During some of the wining and dining the Glendora guys told the new sponsor that money was being wasted as the team would always be small time - there was much more benefit in spending all the promotional money with the NHRA. The sponsor was horrified and told the team why the company would not be expanding their relationship with an organization with ethics that low.

Again, as in Joe's message, both of these happened a few years back. Sadly, in the years since I've not heard anything to make me think anything has changed since then.

This has been, and I'm sure still is, a huge problem. Whatever happened to the supposed rule of a company having to sponsor a team before they become an event sponsor? It's no secret that NHRA has driven away many non-auto sponsors, I may be wrong but I believe Jolly Rancher and McDonald's both left because of being fed up with the NHRA.

I stated nearly 4 years ago that NHRA was no longer a sanctioning body but rather a motorsports entertainment promoter. And I've stood firm on that contention!

The actions and decisions NHRA has made over the last few years bears this out... especially where the Sportsman racers are concerned.

And if you look at the management of NHRA and the changes it has gone through the last few years you'd see a drastic departure from an organization run by racers for racer to one of corporate bean-counter & marketing types with no racing background who are more worried about the bottom line than the well-being of the sport.

I'm hopeful, but not confident, that the HD deal will alleviate NHRA from the burden of management the motorsports entertainment side and return the organization itself back into a sanctioning body.

It is important to remember that the HD groups management team consists of the same people that have put the NHRA in the sticky situation that they are currently in...

Paul, you are right. However, NHRA has still been missing the boat for some time. The floodgates for non-automotive sponsors has never really opened, it's always a onesey-twosey scenario. One would think by now there would be a Cheerios car, a Tide car, etc. Bob Vandergriff brought in UPS, why hasn't FedEx followed? DHL is here, but you know it's because of Connie's biz. The sky may not be falling, but things could be a lot better. Bill Nychay is in the trenches trying to put these deals together, ask him how hard it is. I'm sure Jay Rathman could give some input as well.

Hey Nunzio....hope all is well..I'm going to start an interesting new thread exactly on this, and many more topics...Its going to be long, but informative post...

I know of two separate cases like you describe.

In one, a racer had sponsorship by a very large regional distributor of a mainstream product. This distributor was respected enough by the parent company that when he recommended the brand become involved they were eager to start a discussion. However, the then-current marketing VPs at NHRA would only help if they could handle the company on a private basis, with the team's rep being told to butt out. He refused, the company decided NHRA was a very strange operation, and they never became involved.

Second, there was a team which by some very hard work brought a mainstream account in for a three race deal. The NHRA reps were overjoyed and offered to wine and dine the sponsor as thanks for getting involved. During some of the wining and dining the Glendora guys told the new sponsor that money was being wasted as the team would always be small time - there was much more benefit in spending all the promotional money with the NHRA. The sponsor was horrified and told the team why the company would not be expanding their relationship with an organization with ethics that low.

Again, as in Joe's message, both of these happened a few years back. Sadly, in the years since I've not heard anything to make me think anything has changed since then.

Something tells me that this stuff will only get worse under this HD deal! Since HD patners are in the business of increasing Marketshare, headhunting sponsors will become commonplace. I hope I'm wrong, but I not optimistic...:rolleyes:

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back