History of the NHRA / Drag Racing book? (1 Viewer)

none

Nitro Member
My son and I will be attending the CHHR this week, then visiting the NHRA Museum and going to the Vegas race. Somewhere along the way I'd like to get him a book that covers the history of the NHRA -- from the early, formative days right through to the past few years. Seems like a suitable souvenir.

Does such a book exist, and if so, what's the name?

Thanks,
-Jeff

By far, the best book on the subject is High Performance: The Culture and Technology of Drag Racing, 1950-2000 by Dr. Robert C. Post ~ very accurate, very detailed.

A must-have for all drag racing fans, but caution it does chronicle drag racing prior to John Force.

Congratulations on bringing your son to the California Hot Rod Reunion, good choice! An don't believe everything you hear there... ;)

51jqAtfz38L.jpg

Last edited:
By far, the best book on the subject is High Performance: The Culture and Technology of Drag Racing, 1950-2000 by Dr. Robert C. Post ~ very accurate, very detailed.

A must-have for all drag racing fans, but caution it does chronicle drag racing prior to John Force.

Congratulations on bringing your son to the California Hot Rod Reunion, good choice! An don't believe everything you hear there... ;)

51jqAtfz38L.jpg

I totally agree, Dr. Post's book is by far the best thing ever written on Drag Racing.

The NHRA did however commission a book on NHRA Drag Racing titled "The Fast Lane" in 2001. It is more of a photo book and a 'sanitized' history of NHRA drag racing with only a small passing mention of a guy named Garlits.

51jqAtfz38L.jpg

Darr, Was a book ever done to continue the story forward? I have the original one and would like to bring it more current.
You are right in your statement that it is the best book ever done on drag racing. Thanx.

Darr, Was a book ever done to continue the story forward? I have the original one and would like to bring it more current.
You are right in your statement that it is the best book ever done on drag racing. Thanx.

Paul the book pictured is an updated paperback revised and published in 2001. I can tell because one of my photos taken at NED is the insert on the right of this cover. The original hardcover published in 1994 has a photo of Jim Head in that location.

Paul the book pictured is an updated paperback revised and published in 2001. I can tell because one of my photos taken at NED is the insert on the right of this cover. The original hardcover published in 1994 has a photo of Jim Head in that location.

Ed.
Your absolutely right, I went and dug out my copy of the original and the photo on the left side is also different, The original was a photo of Garlits. Also mine says 1950--1990. So it looks like it was updated from 1990 to 2000. Oh well I'll just wait another 20 or 30 years for the next update!;)

I totally agree, Dr. Post's book is by far the best thing ever written on Drag Racing.
One more "agree" from over Europe. That's gotta rate the top book on the sport. It's in the bookshelf behind me right now and I've gone through it a few times but TBH it's really not an easy read for people who are not very very much into drag racing.

As an aside, Dr. Post (professor?) had a tenure at my old university and has a 23 year career at the Smithsonian Institution among a whole load of other achievements. In 2013 he was inducted into the International Drag Racing Hall of Fame.

Regards
PiPPi

Only issue or problem with the NHRA Fast Lane book is there was a lot more drag racing from other sanctioning bodies that was ignored in that book. UDRA, PDA, AHRA, IHRA, NASCAR as well as many, many independent dragstrips that didn't need NHRA sanctioning to thrive.

Even Joe would have enjoyed that time, before John Force. :D

Another interesting visual is Don Gillespie's three disc DVD set on Lion's - the Greatest Drag Strip. It is an amazing collection of videos and interviews and original footage from a truly instrumental drag strip in our history, starting in the Post War 1950's. Caution: Don't try to watch all three discs in one evening!

Be sure to stop the Prolong / Mandella/ Shirley Muldowney Dragster / Winged Express pit, and say Hi, we will be cackling the Top Fuel car Saturday and Sunday, as well as running the Wing.

One more bit of advice is to bring some sort of fly repellant. I was there this past weekend and they were horrible. But at least the smell in the air wasn't bad.

Thanks, everyone, for the recommendations. The two books are inexpensive and readily-available so it we don't find 'em on the trip I'll order them. The DVD's look interesting as well. A visit to Autobooks looks dangerous but there's a chance we'll be nearby on the 29th and if so will stop by.

-Jeff

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back