Hight got screwed in my opinion (1 Viewer)

Rat

Nitro Member
Cruz goes out there and runs a 4.077 and loses to Hight who left first and goes on to run a better e.t. that is not recorded, yet we all know it was quicker than a 4.077. Worsham wins his round and runs a 4.122 and gets lane choice over Hight. Why? There is 100% no doubt that he ran better than a 4.122 and so I ask why in the world does Worsham get the advantage. All because it's not officially recorded? Who knows what that semi final matchup would of been like if the lane choice was different.

Cruz goes out there and runs a 4.077 and loses to Hight who left first and goes on to run a better e.t. that is not recorded, yet we all know it was quicker than a 4.077.

maybe Hight holeshotted Cruz and ran a similar time to the 4.12 (or just over .05) and lost lane choice that way...

I would suspect that the tower had the incrementals for Hight's run or was the spider in the initial starting line light sensor? The report I saw did not say.

"Word comes there was a spider web in the left lane sensors, which resulted in the timing malfunction. Video clearly shows Hight is the winner."

I would think not if a 2 sec time was recorded. If it was the finish line light, then they know Hight's reaction time and his incrementals up to the 330 ft point on the track at least.

I agree, something like this should have a new rule applied if possible. And I'm NOT for more rules!

Was there even a difference in the lanes? Just curious. Video can be used to verify who won a race, but to try and guess an e.t. is pretty tough.

Bet there is a memo going around to all the tracks to check sensors for obstructions before runs start.

It's not the first time something like this has happened. When there is a timing issue, the run gets counted as 0.000 and that's the way it has always been as far as I can remember. I don't think the lane played into much, they were both pretty good. If it was a real bad one lane track, that would have sucked.

As far as what they ran, Robert was a little quicker then Cruz to the 660 3.285 to a 3.287, but the big difference to me was Robert going 270 to Cruz's 263. That would tell me Robert ran 4.06-4.05 becasue it looked like it ran clean to the finish.

One last thing, Robert ran 4.07 and I'll call it a 4.05 in the left lane 1st and 2nd round, I'll assume he would have taken the left to begin with for the semi final.

I am just glad the car put up some good numbers and will give them something to build on. :D

Robert did have lane choice.

As soon as the 2 second time came up on the board, we knew there was an issue with the timer. The most important thing to do was determine the winner.

The call was made to the TV truck and they put up a replay which clearly showed that Robert had won the race.

The very next thing done was to look at the math. Because Cruz made a good run and his lane timers hadn't been compromised it was easy to tell that for Robert to win the race he could not have run slower than 4.089. Had he run anything less he would have lost the race.

Both teams (Robert's and Del's) were shown the evidence and were in agreement that was the correct thing to do. And both teams knew it before they got back to the pits allowing them to prepare for the semis accordingly.

Had Cruz smoked the tires, that would have made it impossible to determine with any certainty whether Robert had run fast enough to earn the choice then that would be a different story, but in this case it was Crystal Clear that Robert had to have run quicker than Del and that he earned and was awarded the choice of lanes.

Jeff Foster goes out every morning and checks the reflectors and the sensors before we start the day. I guess the spider didn't get the memo.

If there was a mistake made it was on the communication end between NHRA and ESPN2, getting the word from Graham to Dave and Mike. Apparently there was a break in that communication chain, but I don't know what happened there, and I wont guess.

Alan

Last edited:
Thank's for the info Alan, I'm glad we have you on here to keep us pointed in the right direction.;):D

Dammit Alan ... There you go using facts and first-hand knowledge of the situation to derail a perfectly good conspiracy/NHRA has their head up their butt thread. Now what are we supposed to do for the rest of the day? :D

maybe Hight holeshotted Cruz and ran a similar time to the 4.12 (or just over .05) and lost lane choice that way...

not possible with how the rt's were.

As soon as the 2 second time came up on the board, we knew there was an issue with the timer. The most important thing to do was determine the winner.

The call was made to the TV truck and they put up a replay which clearly showed that Robert had won the race.

The very next thing done was to look at the math. Because Cruz made a good run and his lane timers hadn't been compromised it was easy to tell that for Robert to win the race he could not have run slower than 4.089. Had he run anything less he would have lost the race.

Both teams (Robert's and Del's) were shown the evidence and were in agreement that was the correct thing to do. And both teams knew it before they got back to the pits allowing them to prepare for the semis accordingly.

Had Cruz smoked the tires, that would have made it impossible to determine with any certainty whether Robert had run fast enough to earn the choice then that would be a different story, but in this case it was Crystal Clear that Robert had to have run quicker than Del and that he earned and was awarded the choice of lanes.

Jeff Foster goes out every morning and checks the reflectors and the sensors before we start the day. I guess the spider didn't get the memo.

If there was a mistake made it was on the communication end between NHRA and ESPN2, getting the word from Graham to Dave and Mike. Apparently there was a break in that communication chain, but I don't know what happened there, and I wont guess.

Alan

I was not around to watch the telecast after first round as I had somewhere to be, but following on the net around midnight it said worsham had the lane choice.

Last edited:
I was not around to watch the telecast after first round as I had somewhere to be, but following on the net around midnight it said worsham had the lane choice.

Alan is in Race Control, in the tower, where such decisions are made. I'm certain that if he says Hight was given lane choice, he's right. No matter what people on teh interwebs, or even the ESPN crew (who is in a trailer somewhere else) say about it.

Alan

Bottom line it was another system failure.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back