Have diecasts faded away?? (1 Viewer)

I still have a bunch of RCCA/Action Top Fuel Dragsters, Funny Cars and a few Pro Stockers from many years ago (around 1992-1995). I think they over produced themselves out of the Drag Racing business. I remember they used to always sell out when they only made 2000 pcs. When they started increasing the quantities and not selling out anymore I stopped buying them. You would think the manufacturers would realize that if you make less then you could sell of each model, you will always be able to sell everything you make. I think there were about 2500 hardcore collectors and when they started making 3000, 5000 and even more, they lost a lot of the original collectors. Eventually it becomes a money losing business.

Drag Racer Magazine runs a column in every issue that shows whats new in the die cast world... There is always 2 to 6 new offerings bi-monthly.. Some pretty cool...

I'm a plastic, build-em-yourself kinda collector- nice collection of 60-80' era drag and production stock model kits at home. That's the market that went cold about the time the die-cast craze hit... Why build-em-youself when you don't have to do anything? :rolleyes:

Lets just say that its a good thing they dont make alot of pro mod diescast otherwise I'd be broke.

FWIW, I never thought of them as investments. They're just kind of fun to have around. Unfortunately, our government's ridiculous tobacco legislation limits the opportunities for my favorite team to sell their stuff. Really stinks. Snake's Final Strike Tour, Ron and TJ's cars, all pretty tough to find unless you're at a race. Thanks, US government for saving me from those evil diecasts. :rolleyes:

AMEN Charles!!!
And now they can't do any tobacco die-casts!!!
Tho I mainly collect Camaros, I really wanted a TJ Monte/Impala with the current paint scheme!!!

Joe; can't help ya out with the Motley Crue car.:(
I gotta get off my butt & find a KJ Kiss Camaro!!!

Can't wait to see the SkyTel die-cast if & when they finish selling all the Miller cars!!!

I love my Milestone 1/16th Miller Lite car.:D
Did have to wait a year for the price to come down but it was well worth it!!! Plus Brenda had a connection that made awesome display cases (etched glass, the Snake logo, Larry's signature); got one for the 1/16th and one for the '02 championship car!

:)

I only collect the 1/16th Milestone cars.If they end up putting out the Gary Scelzi 4 time champ car I'd definitely be looking for that one.

I too own a ton of die-cast. My favorites hard to find real collectables like my orginal Revell Army models kits and ARMY Hot Wheels F/C still in the orginal packaging. Really wish the would have made more Glidden die-cast stuff.

Maybe the "new owners" or the NHRA will do a better job of marketing and we'll see NHRA drag cars on Wal-Mart shelves again.

I agree, the Wal-Mart versions was a good idea. They looked good enough to sit on someone's desk at the office; but were also cheap enough to be thrown across the room by a bratty 5 year old. Another thing I was thinking about is how - particularly the drag race vehicles - have morphed and evolutionized as far as detail goes over the years. When Action first started out, for the engine all you got was a grey plastic block, chrome plated valve covers & blower with painted butterflies on an Enderle birdcatcher. If you REALLY shelled out the money, you got little red spark plug wires.
Today's cars are extremely and amazingly detailed. Interesting to note, the stock cars/nascars haven't changed hardly at all.

I just have a few cars.
I like the die casts.

Have the Miller Lite T/F, the Army T/F,
BRUT F/C, an old Skuza F/C

Which die cast manufacturers have gone away or stopped making NHRA stuff?
Which ones are still producing NHRA die casts?

Wouldn't mind picking up the Bill Miller car, and the Skytel car.

I have 30 Milestone Drag Racing Cars, four of their amazing 1/16 NASCAR cars and one of the incredible 1/6 scale Greer/Black "Yellow" Dragsters from GMP. I purchased these cars because I love the datail and accuracy. Unfortunately, the quality has forced the price of these cars to be way too expensive for the casual fan. And . . . politics are in place after Bruton Smith and NASCAR formed a company to buy Racing Champions and what was left of Action. The market for really nice 1/16 Drag Racing and NASCAR models is probably dead - sad

I was in Target last night --- I was suprised to see they had 1320 Fuelers in a metal model kit. Sell for $19.99. Hope they get the Floppers.

I agree, the Wal-Mart versions was a good idea. They looked good enough to sit on someone's desk at the office; but were also cheap enough to be thrown across the room by a bratty 5 year old. Another thing I was thinking about is how - particularly the drag race vehicles - have morphed and evolutionized as far as detail goes over the years. When Action first started out, for the engine all you got was a grey plastic block, chrome plated valve covers & blower with painted butterflies on an Enderle birdcatcher. If you REALLY shelled out the money, you got little red spark plug wires.
Today's cars are extremely and amazingly detailed. Interesting to note, the stock cars/nascars haven't changed hardly at all.

The stock versions have changed more than you think. I know people who pick them apart every time they make a change or fail to make a change on them. The COT cars are the latest to be scrutinized. There was was also another good thing about the Wal-Mart versions of the NHRA cars. They made everybody, not just the "superstars" of the sport. Wyatt Radke, Gary Clapshaw, Brent and Vicky Fanning among others that Action would never have produced.

I have a couple of John Force diecasts, an autographed Tony Shue Excide Batteries TF'er and a Joe Amato TF'er (from the keystone days). That's about it.

i collected diecast for a few years and still have a ton of it, but sold most of my 1320 and action stuff. I still have a large AJ Foyt , Dan Gurney,Mark Donohue and John Force collection and a bunch of other stuff... Darrell Russell autographed fuel car, Ace miller funny,Alderman pro stock,Scelzi winston tf Shirley Shahan and Petes Patriot AMX's...all kind of weird stuff(100's)
About the most killer NHRA collection though...ask Terri Sewell about Richards!!
the distributors killed the shop owners when they started selling directly to the consumer....the market was flooded and the bottom dropped out. I think you can still melt down racing champions for fishing weights.

I used to build model cars and said i'd never buy any diecast. Then I bought a few here & there and now I have quite a few. I mainly buy the 1/64 scale {Hot Wheels, Racing Champions, etc} just because of lack of space. I still have a pretty good size collection of drag racing model kits.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back