Greatest Sportsman Racer (1 Viewer)

If I have to pick just one. I'll go with Rambo. Is there a sportsman class that he has not won in?

If I have to pick just one. I'll go with Rambo. Is there a sportsman class that he has not won in?
The same can be said for Scotty Richardson. He has won national events in every single class he has competed... Stock, Super Stock, Super Street, Super Gas, and Super Comp.

Plus Scotty is the only driver to ever win national championships in two classes in the same year... Super Comp and Gas in 1994.

I think the world of Rampy but what would Scotty's NHRA stats look like had he continued to follow the circus. Scotty still wins more money annually by bracket racing than anyone else in any category, pro or sportsman.

I can understand many of you chosing Rambo. It's easier to think about his accomplishments because he still gets a ton of coverage.

A great Scotty story as related to me by Kyle Seipel...

Early last year Scotty had another guy driving his rig to the races. They hauled Scotty's car and the guy's old Vega. The other guy would make Scotty's time runs on Friday and he would show up in time for eliminations, dial up .02 and add some to the box.

Well they show up to this Big Bucks race in May, the guy makes the time runs and Scotty shows up for eliminations. Takes a win and a runner-up on Friday and Saturday. Everyone is in a uproar, the usual cheating stuff.

So on Sunday, Scotty say "fine", gets in his guy's Vega... and wins that race too!!

Last edited:
The same can be said for Scotty Richardson. He has won national events in every single class he has competed... Stock, Super Stock, Super Street, Super Gas, and Super Comp.

Plus Scotty is the only driver to ever win national championships in two classes in the same year... Super Comp and Gas in 1994.

I think the world of Rampy but what would Scotty's NHRA stats look like had he continued to follow the circus. Scotty still wins more money annually by bracket racing than anyone else in any category, pro or sportsman.

I can understand many of you chosing Rambo. It's easier to think about his accomplishments because he still gets a ton of coverage.

A great Scotty story as related to me by Kyle Seipel...

Early last year Scotty had another guy driving his rig to the races. They hauled Scotty's car and the guy's old Vega. The other guy would make Scotty's time runs on Friday and he would show up in time for eliminations, dial up .02 and add some to the box.

Well they show up to this Big Bucks race in May, the guy makes the time runs and Scotty shows up for eliminations. Takes a win and a runner-up on Friday and Saturday. Everyone is in a uproar, the usual cheating stuff.

So on Sunday, Scotty say "fine", gets in his guy's Vega... and wins that race too!!

I am with Greg. Rambo is great, a hellavu driver but if Scotty had stayed with the NHRA, he would own every record there is in the sportsman categories pretty much. No disrespect to anyone else, but the guy is money. It dont matter what he drives. Plus like I have stated before, I think that bracket races are the hardest to win out of any and all classes competed.
And for those that dont think so, tell me this: Whats easier to win (granted you had all the right equipment) a 16 car Top Fuel/Funny Car/Pro Stock National event or a 200 person big $$$ bracket race featuring a field of Scotty and Edmond, the Folks, Bogacki, Cummings, Jeggie, etc. That's an easy question.

Just this past July 4th weekend, I watched Scotty win both the Sunday & Monday 10K Mega-Bucks series races at Huntsville... He's just killer, you can literally see the dissapointment on everyones face when he rolls in the gates!!

Anyone remember Johnny Laboose (sp?)? How about Joe Covert? Steve Cohen wasn't no slouch back a few years and still does well for being an oldtimer :D

Last edited:
Anyone remember Johnny Laboose (sp?)? How about Joe Covert? Steve Cohen wasn't no slouch back a few years and still does well for being an oldtimer :D

As a matter of fact, Johnny Labbous JR & SR hit the brackets pretty hard. If I'm not mistaken Johnny Sr got down to 4 cars in one of those Mega Bucks races I mentioned.

Yes, Johnny Sr and Jr still run the bracket races and do pretty well. They do there share of winning for sure.

Ahhh, the boys from the Lone Star State. Richardson's, (World Champs) Bogacki,Jeff Hefler,(World Champ) and a few others. All have ONE thing in common. TEXAS RACEWAY, Home of the Killer "B"s:D :D :cool:

well i cant say just one but like all the guys you have already posted plus i would have to add a couple of my picks.
bucky austin
pat austin
rick santos
blaine johnson
:)

I would add to those greats Shelly Howard one of my favorites. God bless you Shelly .

Last edited:
Ahhh, the boys from the Lone Star State. Richardson's, (World Champs) Bogacki,Jeff Hefler,(World Champ) and a few others. All have ONE thing in common. TEXAS RACEWAY, Home of the Killer "B"s:D :D :cool:

True, but HRP took the Championship at the NHRA Bracket Finals last year... :p

Just messing with yall.

Surprised no one has mentioned the Emmons Brothers as well. They do fairly well in Division 4. With all the Sportsman greats out there past & present, it’s hard to just nail down a select few. Maybe divide it up by class but just overall its a hard thing to do. But like someone else said, jumping from one car to another (class to class) and winning in each is a big deal & accomplishment in my eyes. Those are the real racers out there today.

True, but HRP took the Championship at the NHRA Bracket Finals last year... :p

Just messing with yall.

Surprised no one has mentioned the Emmons Brothers as well. They do fairly well in Division 4. With all the Sportsman greats out there past & present, it’s hard to just nail down a select few. Maybe divide it up by class but just overall its a hard thing to do. But like someone else said, jumping from one car to another (class to class) and winning in each is a big deal & accomplishment in my eyes. Those are the real racers out there today.

True, but if I'm not wrong. The "KILLER BEES" have won it more than anybody else.:p :D

How could I forget The one and only Snowman [ Gene Snow ] one of the greats in several different kinds of cars. He is the owner tuner of a A/FD now and I saw them at the Sonora race on TV today and his 26 year old hitter was cutting some really good lights and went to the semi's.
New car new driver and you can't ever count Gene out till the fat lady sings. I mean those injected guy's were laying out some good times for the heat and humidity.
The young guy seemed to have a good personality to go along with that good shoe.
Can you say top fuel !
Nah you can't say that yet !
How about Rambunchous Dodge!
Nah you can't say that yet either.
But we can dream , it don't cost much!
I wonder if Gene is running at the Bill Heilsher Memorial race next friday?
I still got to get my copy of Match Race Madness autographed by him he's about the only one alive who hasn't signed it cause he is always busy racing .

IMO, Johnny Labbous is the greatest bracket racer in history. I "grew up" with Johnny at Brainerd Optimist Dragstrip, Ringgold, Georgia in the seventies and have never seen such a prolific winner. In 1976, with his street driven 67 GTX 440, he won the $5000 Bracket Nationals race at Byron, Illonois, the $3000 race held at Union Grove, Wisconsin, and the first annual NHRA Div.2 Bracket Finals held at Southeastern Dragway in Dallas, Georgia. Between 1976 and 1981, he won three NHRA Bracket Finals races. I traveled with him to many races in the seventies and early eighties and witnessed his domination. He won the IHRA Quick 32 class called Pro Street at the national events held at Bristol, Tennessee two years in a row in 1978 and 1979. Johnny won many Super Gas races in Div.2 in the early eighties. He moved to Rome, Georgia in the early eighties and I didn't see him much after that but kept up with his winning through the magazines etc. In his fifth decade of racing, at the age of 57, Johnny won the 2003 "Million Dollar" race at Memphis, Tennessee, put on by George Howard.

Wayne.

As a matter of fact, Johnny Labbous JR & SR hit the brackets pretty hard. If I'm not mistaken Johnny Sr got down to 4 cars in one of those Mega Bucks races I mentioned.

Wow, what's with all the light green, cyan and yellow postings, I can't see them.

Anyway, my vote for greatest sportsman would include Brad Anderson, he was a dominant force in TAFC for many years.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back