Great Mark Rebilas Photo (1 Viewer)

Joe, that's the conundrum of it all. Even though it keeps 4 spots open for Saturday qualifying, if Friday's 2nd session (or 1st) were the best conditions of the weekend, then a good number like Brian's 4.19 ET goes to waste. I guess either way someone gets screwed. Just hate when it is a lower buck team that gets squeezed out.

I can't remember which race it was last year, but Chris Karamasenises had a qualifying run tossed because he ran it on Friday! I bet of they polled the drivers, most would vote to dump that deal!

The rule is not confusing.

The Saturday sessions are part of the show for the paying spectators. If they didn't leave 4 open, the fields would be set on Friday night, and no one would waste the money to try to get in on Saturday.

Never stopped them from coming before???:rolleyes:

Never stopped them from coming before???:rolleyes:

True, but at least the Saturday show actually means something now. I remember many times during the summer months where the field was set based on the Friday night session. Saturday was nothing but fuel cars smoking the tires because they had to run on the edge to run a number that was not out there due to the conditions.

As far as this being confusing, not even close. It is confusing if you don't have the ability to listen or read and comprehend what you are hearing/seeing.

True, but at least the Saturday show actually means something now. I remember many times during the summer months where the field was set based on the Friday night session. Saturday was nothing but fuel cars smoking the tires because they had to run on the edge to run a number that was not out there due to the conditions.

As far as this being confusing, not even close. It is confusing if you don't have the ability to listen or read and comprehend what you are hearing/seeing.

Actually the Best scenario is to just have Saturday qualifying. Everytime I have seen a Friday Rainout, Saturday Qualifying is the Best I have ever seen, Drivers peddling to get whatever kind of number they can! But

The rule is not confusing.

The Saturday sessions are part of the show for the paying spectators. If they didn't leave 4 open, the fields would be set on Friday night, and no one would waste the money to try to get in on Saturday.

Jay, the field might be set on Friday night, but that does not prevent any bumping from occurring if there are more than 16 cars present. Also, for sponsorship reasons, I suspect that if most teams chose not to run on Saturday, then they would get in trouble with both NHRA and their sponsors. I think Joe's idea has some merit though, as having one day to qualify, that being Saturday, could make it even or equal for all contestants. Maybe they could do 3 sessions on Saturday and skip Friday altogether. If they can run 4 rounds of Nitro on Sunday, then 3 rounds of qualifying is surely doable. That way, the alcohol cars and doorslammers could be the focus on Thursday and Friday. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Keeping 4 spots open for Saturday is OK but Thiel's 4.19 should count. He ran 4.19 during one of the qualifiers; why shouldn't it count? If 16 others beat that time, he's out. If not, he should be in. What day he ran it shouldn't matter.

This is a confusing rule that has as much downside as it does upside.

I agree 100%. That rule is just wrong period, and should be droped. The drivers should get together and not bother to make any runs Fri. cause it may not be counted anyway.

Yeah, thats what I mean, why bother, save the cost. Run both Sat. Q's for the Q show. They don't show any Fri. runs, unless you crash.
It used to be the 16 quickest race on Sun. Not any more.

No doubt. The fuel cars I have been lucky enough to be a part of both swung for the fences on friday Q2 and primarily concentrated on getting down the track on saturday.

IF they ran friday Q1 it was a very conservative tune for testing data/track conditions. But usually when you don't have mega bucks the cost involved in just cutting out one run is pretty good.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back