Great article! (1 Viewer)

That issue should be the least of our worries. It should be.... what is drag racing going to do to keep the costs in check so people can continue to race? What is the drag racing going to do to get the fans back to the divisional events? What is drag racing going to do to keep Top Alcohol from dying off? What is drag racing going to do to cut into NASCAR'S monopoly of the press, marketing, products and sponsors?

here in the Northeast, we have lots of young guys and gals racing (see winner of super comp at Indy this year-Heather is 21 or 22). There is a 33 year old guy named Lee Zane who drove an L/AA to the 5th spot in comp nationally this year. He is a former world champ in stock (I think someone racing in Pro Stock who had a pretty good year also was has that on his resume) and I hope one day he'll be in Pro Stock. He would be a great driver and represent any company really well. I think that drag racing is ok in terms of future stars.

That issue should be the least of our worries. It should be.... what is drag racing going to do to keep the costs in check so people can continue to race? What is the drag racing going to do to get the fans back to the divisional events? What is drag racing going to do to keep Top Alcohol from dying off? What is drag racing going to do to cut into NASCAR'S monopoly of the press, marketing, products and sponsors?

Rich, those very questions have been brought up for Years! I was talking with Dave McCleland(sp?) when he was full-time on the Tour once about costs and such. He was telling me that back in the 70's a LOT of Pro racers were worried about the rising costs of competition and the effects on the sport. Suggesting that if something wasn't done a lot of racers would be forced to park. As for the costs of Alky and other classes, as long as most classes are Open ET heads up style racing, the costs will continue to rise, it's inevitable!

here in the Northeast, we have lots of young guys and gals racing (see winner of super comp at Indy this year-Heather is 21 or 22). There is a 33 year old guy named Lee Zane who drove an L/AA to the 5th spot in comp nationally this year. He is a former world champ in stock (I think someone racing in Pro Stock who had a pretty good year also was has that on his resume) and I hope one day he'll be in Pro Stock. He would be a great driver and represent any company really well. I think that drag racing is ok in terms of future stars.

Dave your correct, there will always be plenty of Future Talent in this sport. I think Glen's point is John Force is the only media sell, even with all the Natl. media that Melanie Troxell recieved, did the sport grow at all this year? Not the TV ratings anyway.

You wouldn't happen to know anything about that Lee Zane, would you Professor?

Future Stars?

When Jason Line was racing his Buick stocker up here in Minnesota some years ago, I don't think anyone at the time might have guessed that one day he'd take the Pro/Stock crown away from his boss.

Who knows for sure where the next "star" will come from. Fate's a fickle thing. (Anyone remember the "Flying Fickle Finger???") In spite of the best efforts of college edumacated marketing people, it's a crap shoot sometimes as to who the "Next big hit, or star" will be.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back