Great article (1 Viewer)

Nice find!

Those that do not learn the lessons of history are doomed to repeat histories mistakes.

Or something like that.

-90% Jimmy

That was big news when it happened but back then San Diego seemed like another world from LA.

I've lived in San Diego all my life and have been involved in racing since 1976 and I had never heard that story before. It looks like NHRA was very cautious about how they responded to the incident.

This is from my buddy Jay Carpenter who was there:

Mike,

I was one of the spectators that got caught up in this 'riot'. It began quietly enough
with several people with some signs crossing El Cajon Blvd. But they delayed
traffic and the police department didn't like that. Initially there were a couple of cars
sent to the area but some chest puffing on both sides escalated the whole act.
When they sent the remainder of the police it was time to exit. Now it was serious.
This turned out to be an interesting couple of weeks. The police were taking no BS
about anything. If you drove something that resembled a hot rod down El Cajon Blvd
you got stopped, often as many times as there were police cars in the area. Tickets
were handed out for anything. It may have been the San Diego Police most profitable
2 weeks!
I didn't remember an accident at Hourglass field, I guess I wasn't there that
nite. At the time Hourglass field was a long way out of town. Nothing was there at all.
The only thing there today is a sign at a small park where Hourglass field used to be.
The Calif Hiway patrol used to race their Dodges and Mercurys there with everyone
else. The strip was approx. 30 feet wide with cars on both sides, lined up so their
headlites would light the track. Its a wonder there wasn't a major catastrophy.

Jay

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back