Great Article on Lewis Bloom (1 Viewer)

Bullet

Nitro Member
I was over at CompPlus having a browse and came a across a great article on "Stat Man" Lewis Bloom.

I had the pleasure of having a quick chat with Lewis in the Winners Circle at Ennis this year and he was a real nice guy... I also discovered that he has possible forgotten more Drag Racing stats and tidbits than I will ever know... although, I don't think he has really forgotten much at all.

Take the time to have a read, I'm sure you will enjoy it.

STAT MAN LEWIS BLOOM: LIVING THE DREAM ONE STAT AT A TIME

he's a jet fan as well, I remember working the points race @ E-town with him this year and saying "well the nightmare season begins tomorrow for the Jets" because I had no confidence in Mark Sanchez and the team. It was Lewis that gave me my first big break with the microphone @ Lebanon Valley 1995, and I've gotten 1000x better since.

I met and talked to Lewis at a PSB party at Indy a few years ago. Besides being a walking drag racing statistics database, he is a very nice and humble guy :)

There's just a category of people you have to admire from their shear love of the sport. Bob F., Brett K., Alan R., Bill S. and the Lewis man. There are many more and this is just this era. There's a whole 'nother category of previous. Mac Man and his cohort Steve Evans. That pair right there is the epitome of announcing for me. I knew I was happy when I walk into the track and the first thing you hear is Mac. *chills*

and a major fan of Bruce Springstien

I am a Major Fan of Lewis one helluva great guy who knows his drag racing...

But as for Bruce Springstien, he can go to HELL.. the dirt-bag is a Cop Hater... I know cops who have dealt with him 1st hand!

Anyone remember his great song knocking the NYPD "41 Shots" Well I can tell you a lot more about that A-Hole etc in a PM. !!

Statisticians are only as good as their sources. Lewis probably has access to files and information on an ongoing basis that most people can't obtain.

That's good; it's his business and as such, he needs to have unlimited input from the various sources that contribute to his cerebral "database."

Having said that, I'd like to know where to access information about the statistical data of race results back in the "dark ages" of NHRA racing (as regards national events, only.)

I was at Indy in '61 and '62, and in wandering around the pits, noticed one of my heroes, a photographer named Eric Rickman (a fixture at Hot Rod Magazine for many, many, years) doing a photo-shoot of a little Fiat Topolino, C-Altered Coupe, back in a deserted area of the pits.

Several people who were friends of the owner/driver were hanging around, watching the pictures being shot (Eric using an 8" X 10" press camera; that's the size of the negative, for those who might not know.) Resolution PLUS!!!

I asked some of these good folks who the owner/driver was, and was told that his name was "Billy Rasmussen," and that he was a preacher from Waxahachie, Texas. They also said that he had won his class (C-Altered Coupe) at the NHRA nationals FIVE TIMES (this was '61 or '62, as I said; can't remember which.) Hmmmmm. There had only been 6 or 7 "Nationals," by then; five wins was impressive! (This pre-dated the term "U.S. Nationals.")

What made the car unique was the engine; eschewing the wildly-popular Hlborn-injected Chevy V8 that was, at the time, de riguer (hope I spelled that correctly!), the preacher was running a 1953 Dodge Hemi (241 cubic inches) and a 3-speed manual transmission. Not what you'd think would exactly be considered the hot ticket...

The intake manifold was home-built; contructed like the old "Crower U-Fab" log manifolds that were used to mount 6 2bbl carbs on top of two pieces of three-inch (my guess) diameter tubing, (running longitudinally, along the top of the heads) with carb mounting flanges welded to the tops of the tubes, with short runners down to the ports...

That's the way they were built.... so I thought.

Au contraire, mon ami...

Billy had just 4 carbs, but the twist was, the carburetors on the left longitudinal tube, had runners to the right-hand cylinder head, and the opposite side was constructed the same; the carbs fed the opposite cylinder head, giving a longer "ram-tube" going into the intake ports.

I chuckled at his "backyard ingenuity," and walked away... yeah, right...

Race day saw his creation in the finals for C/A, opposing a "state-of-the-art"' 1934 Ford coupe with the back wheels moved forward under the body, and a professionally built small block Chevy hooked to a 4-speed, for motivation.

It was dynamite!!!

David vs. Goliath....

The flag went up in the final, for class, and the little Hemi powered Topolino put some serious hurt on the "Al's Speed Shop" C-Altered, from Chicago.
Word had it that he'd beaten that high-dollar Chicago car more than once for the "Nationals" C-Altered honors... Bet he had 'em talking to themselves!!!

"The Going Goat" (his name for the car) had done it again... and I felt more than stupid for my smug (and ignorant) attitude about his intake manifold chicanery... Live and learn! :!

I know that the "High and Mighty" Ramcharger's '49 Plymouth won C/A at the 1959 Nationals at Detroit, but I am very curious whether this "Going Goat" actually won that class 5 times at the Nationals.

You think Lewis Bloom might have that information? I realize that's more in the line of "HISTORY" than statistics, but, if HE doesn't know, who might? Bret??? A possibility.

Anybody???? I'd just like to know; Lewis seemed the best bet!

Last edited:
There's just a category of people you have to admire from their shear love of the sport. Bob F., Brett K., Alan R., Bill S. and the Lewis man. There are many more and this is just this era. There's a whole 'nother category of previous. Mac Man and his cohort Steve Evans. That pair right there is the epitome of announcing for me. I knew I was happy when I walk into the track and the first thing you hear is Mac. *chills*
I think you could safely add Lynn Nickerson and Bob Unkefer to that first list. Mike English knows a thing or two about drag racing as well. Bunch of good folks we're privileged to have announce races for us, aren't there?

plus a couple years ago while i was in college, i found out my Photography class professor used to work with Lewis in photography, his name is Lowell Handler, he has a book called Twitch and Shout: A Touretter's Tale about his life as a photographer with Tourette's. It was cool to find out they worked together back in the 70s & 80s.

Statisticians are only as good as their sources. Lewis probably has access to files and information on an ongoing basis that most people can't obtain.

Valid point, but you only need to speak to Lewis for a few minutes to realise that his memory contains bits and pieces that would be impossible to catalogue or database.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back