Global politics leaking into drag racing? (1 Viewer)

NiTROhype

Nitro Member
I know how politics questions aren't usually welcome here, but I thought this was worth some discussion, and we're talking GLOBAL politics here, not partisan.

No doubt Sheikh Khaled's cash infusion has been appreciated. Larry Dixon often mentions how he is representing the nation of Qatar in his interviews.

U.S. Mum Over Reported Taliban Office in Qatar

So I will go ahead and ask the question: If it turns out to be true and Qatar is serving as the one and only home of an established Taliban office, could you or would you be able to cash checks that paid to put "Qatar" in big gold leaf letters on your dragster?

I'm not questioning the integrity of anyone involved with Al Anabi at all. I am also NOT saying the Sheikh Khaled is a member of the Taliban. I am just wondering if this recent turn of events has changed sentiments with the Al Anabi teams over the deal.

It is easy for me to say, but I would have a hard time (especially in light of the recent 9/11 memories that have been revisited due to the anniversary) reconciling my stance to do so if there turned out to be a link in any way between the two.

Thoughts?

As much as it pains me to admit it if this madness is ever going to end there has to be communication !
Will it be fruitful ? Thats another thread !
Like it or not some think there needed to be a place to communicate with the enemy since they currently have no country .
As far as I know Qatar is not at war with the Taliban nor vice versa !
One thing is certain and that is Motor sports transcends politics and that at least is a good thing !
The need for speed is a great equalizer !

As much as it pains me to admit it if this madness is ever going to end there has to be communication !
Will it be fruitful ? Thats another thread !
Like it or not some think there needed to be a place to communicate with the enemy since they currently have no country .
As far as I know Qatar is not at war with the Taliban nor vice versa !
One thing is certain and that is Motor sports transcends politics and that at least is a good thing !
The need for speed is a great equalizer !

couldn't agree more.....well said larry.

I agree, communication is of the utmost importance...

Therefore, I hereby communicate that if it's determined that even one penny of the Al Anabi's sponsorhip money is even remotely tied to terrorism of any kind, then I cannot and will not support that team in any way, shape or form. Furthermore, as difficult as it may be, I may be forced to stop supporting NHRA altogether.

If, however, the "office" is used, as alluded to above, as a location where terms of a peaceful agreement can be made between the parties concerned without undue outside influence, and for no other reason, then I'm all for it and I applaud Qatar for providing the venue.

There, I've communicated.

Last edited:
Qatar has provided us with an important base of operations in conducting military operations in Iraq-see the second paragraph of the following Qatar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Qatar also provided assistance to the rebels in Libya. Is Qatar perfect-no, but when compared to some of our other allies in the middle east, it does better than most.

That's how I remember it too.

Qatar is one of the good guys.

God knows, we have few allies (willing to help publicly, anyway) in the Middle East.

Qatar has provided us with an important base of operations in conducting military operations in Iraq-see the second paragraph of the following Qatar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Qatar also provided assistance to the rebels in Libya. Is Qatar perfect-no, but when compared to some of our other allies in the middle east, it does better than most.

not sure if this was the right old thread to use, but the emir of qatar has
handed his rule to his son tamim.
pretty sure this is sheik khalid's brother and puts sheik khalid next in line
to rule? (read an article a few years ago stating he was 2nd in line)

Qatari Emir Hands Power to Son - WSJ.com

can move this into politics room if necessary

I refrained from posting this article to prevent starting a ****storm. However, since it's already started, here you go.

Qatar drops Canada from dubious rank of friends | Full Comment | National Post

The key bit in the article for me follows: It has poured millions of dollars into al-Qaeda in exchange for the latter’s commitment to leave Qatar alone. In the candid words of a Qatari official: “We prefer to pay and to secure our national and economic interest.”

I refrained from posting this article to prevent starting a ****storm. However, since it's already started, here you go.........

i don't think anything at all is 'started'; i chose this thread as a former thread
with qatar as a subject, it has not had a post in over 1.5 years.

yesterday's change of power in this small country is significant; without getting
into politics i thought this announcement coupled with sheik khalid's involvment
with AJR and NHRA was worth mentioning.

Qatar is on the hook for 8 new stadiums (rumored to be clones of Cowboys Stadium in Arlington) and billions upon billions more in infrastructure improvements for the World Cup in 2022. I hope Sheikh Khalid's brother is a drag racing fan ... Otherwise a lot of teams are going to be searching for funding in the near future. For the drag racing world, this should be more if a concern.

As for the Taliban deal, anyone surprised by the information has not been paying attention for a very long time. What media outlet has the Taliban ALWAYS used to disseminate information? Al Jazeera ... Which is privately owned by Sheikh Khalid's family and based in Doha, Qatar. Those bin Laden videos back in the day just didn't randomly pop up there for no reason ...

I do agree as the Middle East goes, Qatar are the good guys and do seem more progressive than the rest of the region and seem interested in joining the modern world ... But there is a ways to go yet. They have to toe a difficult line between appeasing the religious radicals and living the 21st century and maintaining their feifdom in light of the democratization of the World. If they can be a conduit between those worlds via an office and a TV network, hopefully it will be a good thing.

Last edited:
The Sheikh is the 6th son of the outgoing Emir of Qatar. He is the 1st son of the Emir's third wife.
Not sure where he ranks in the family pecking order but I looked up the family tree a few years ago and he was not 2nd or 3rd in line to be the Emir. As these things can change at any time in a country like Qatar he could now be next in line, who knows. He does not hold any high level job in the administration of Qatar except as Minister of Auto Racing.
The al-thani family has been the ruler of Qatar for quite a number of years and the citizens are very happy with them as they have put quite a bit of money into supporting and subsidizing its citizens in many, many ways and building the country into one of the wealthiest in the Middle East.

The Sheikh is the 6th son of the outgoing Emir of Qatar. He is the 1st son of the Emir's third wife.
Not sure where he ranks in the family pecking order but I looked up the family tree a few years ago and he was not 2nd or 3rd in line to be the Emir. As these things can change at any time in a country like Qatar he could now be next in line, who knows. He does not hold any high level job in the administration of Qatar except as Minister of Auto Racing.
The al-thani family has been the ruler of Qatar for quite a number of years and the citizens are very happy with them as they have put quite a bit of money into supporting and subsidizing its citizens in many, many ways and building the country into one of the wealthiest in the Middle East.

Minister of Auto Racing is a title, with a budget, that I wouldn't mind having:)

I was a supporter of Al Anabi when my favorite driver Larry Dixon drove for them. I still support them as a contributor to the NHRA. However, some NHRA fans don't feel that way. While sitting in the stands at Norwalk the last couple of years, I heard crowd reaction every time an Al Anabi car came to the starting line, and it was not good. I can't even repeat it.

As much as we like to crow about how egalitarian drag racing is with women and people of color having participated for decades, the dark underbelly of our culture somehow always seems to show through. I'm sure we can all cite instances of misogyny, racism, or religious hated demonstrated at the track, or more frequently on line. Even though many want to write it off as "haters gonna hate", to me it clearly demonstrates how far we have yet to go -- both in the sport and more broadly.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back