Kh earns runner-up finish in round 6; blasts both ends of pro extreme world record (1 Viewer)

[coverattach=1](2-12-09) DOHA, Qatar – Just when the devoted Qatar race fans thought things couldn’t get any more exciting, a final round match up between Sheikh Khalid Al Thani in the Al-Anabi Racing Pro Extreme ’68 Camaro and Alex Hossler’s 1970.5 Camaro during Round 6 of the Arabian Drag Racing League introduced a new contender for the 2009-10 Pro Extreme world championship.

Seemingly in another universe all weekend, Sheikh Khalid dominated qualifying, taking the top spot with a 3.689-second, 209.17mph pass in the fourth and final round, setting up a bye-run for the rookie driver in the opening round of eliminations on Friday. After essentially a test-pass in the first round, KH met fellow Arabian Gulf Region driver Bader Ahli in the semifinals and despite a solid performance from Alhi, the race was over as soon as Al Thani dropped the clutch on the Frank Manzo-tuned Camaro as the unlimited doorslammer marched to a 3.669-second pass at 209.46mph – locking up both ends of the Arabian Drag Racing League world records.

Alex Hossler, a native of Canton, Illinois, USA, was on the other side of the ladder working his way toward the winner’s circle as well, dispatching 2008-09 world champion Von Smith en route to the aforementioned final stanza.

When the ambers dropped on the Christmas tree at the Qatar Race Club, Hossler was off the line first with a blistering .004-second reaction time to KH’s respectable .036-light and maintained his early lead all the way to the finish line, earning his second Arabian Drag Racing League victory with a 3.724 at 206.32mph over Al Thani’s quicker but losing 3.709/209.30mph combination.

“I guess Alex and I are even now,” laughed KH following the final. “You’re bound to be on the losing end of a hole shot every now and then if you’re racing at this level, and we’re just happy to have an Al-Anabi Racing hot rod in the final round again for all the fans here in Qatar.”

Now locked into a three-way battle for the Pro Extreme world championship, Sheikh Khalid heads into the seventh and final round of the Arabian Drag Racing League at the QRC, just one round win behind teammate Von Smith, with Hossler only two rounds behind him.

“Even in our debut season, I was confident that we would be in the thick of the championship battle with Frank [Manzo, crew chief] and Tim McAmis calling the shots,” Al Thani continued. “It’s going to come down to the wire, though, with Von, Alex and myself in the hunt, and I’m excited – I don’t know that I’d want it any other way.”

The Al-Anabi Racing Pro Extreme team will return to action for Round 7 of the Arabian Drag Racing League series at the Qatar Race Club on February 25th, 2010 - the final event of the season. Qualifying gets underway at 7:00 PM AST on Thursday, February 25th, with a second round scheduled for 9:00 PM. A final qualifying session will take place at 5:00 PM AST on Friday the 26th, with eliminations getting underway at 7:00 PM AST.

For more information on the Qatar Race Club and the Arabian Drag Racing League’s Round 6, log onto Qatar Racing Club

Attachments

• mail KH.jpg
    mail KH.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 161
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back