Gary Densham...only race possibly? (1 Viewer)

BF

Nitro Member
I thought I heard Gary Densham on his top end interview say this could be his only appearance this year. Did I hear him correctly?

I thought I heard Gary Densham on his top end interview say this could be his only appearance this year. Did I hear him correctly?

Barry,

Your ears heard it right. I believe he also said about going into the sand, "may as well go have some fun"

Pretty bummed to hear that. Then again when I went to ask Gary D for a job back in 05 at GNV, he said "This might be our last race..." As we know he went on. I hope Gary stays out there. Gary and Joanne are one of the nicest couples at the track.

I hope he can hang on and get some more funding. Denshams are good people and they need to be out there at all the events. It would be a real shame to see them have to park it.

Dave

With the loss of Torco, they were probably using this race to try to get some sponsor help. Hope he finds something. He's the best at getting the most out of a small amount of funding.

You're right Dave, they need to be out there. Too bad the NHRA doesn't have a subsidy program a la IRL.

Jerry,
I heard the same as well as two other owners who have a scheduled informal litigation meetings in March...

Having been friends for more than twenty years,(helped Henry tune his car in late '87), I've never known him to lie about any subject we have discussed.
One of the great people burning Nitro in my opinion.;)

Good enough for me. I agree, from my limited interaction with him, Gary is more than upstanding.

I really hate the thought of the teach not being on the circuit. He is a really great guy, and a match race vet. Times are tough everywhere now, and good money sponsorships are hard to come by. Well good luck to Gary and crew, and lets all hope things turn around for them.

Jerry,
I heard the same as well as two other owners who have a scheduled informal litigation meetings in March...

This whole deal would make a soap opera look simple.
First 30+ cars get some amount of money. This is wonderful,
plus the little guys get helped.. . Everybody is happy ! ! :)

Some just get cash for "decal deals" ,some get equipment and pay. Others get salary to operate the sponsors equipment.
And some owners get team funding for a part, or full NHRA year.

Anywhere from $5000 to 2+mllions per car.

For payment:
some get cash,, some get multi-payments on time,,,some get payments but late, , ,
a few are now way past due.:confused:

As the current show begins;
some are happy (still getting paid) ,some are sad (no job),, some are mad
(deal gone & parts purchased), and some are really hurting (money owed).

I guess you could say some are now "torque-code" :mad:

Stay tuned for the next episode of "As-The-Nitro-Burns" coming to a race track near you, , ,
(or maybe not):rolleyes:

The shape of things to come I'm afraid.

After reading Jim Head's comments about costs for operating a Nitro car,
it sounds like your comment is happening.
IHRA could have a few NHRA attendees at some of their events this season?
I think the cost increases will cause more independents to stay closer to home.

You're right Dave, they need to be out there. Too bad the NHRA doesn't have a subsidy program a la IRL.

Even with the subsidy program, more than half the field is buying their rides in the IRL or having their ride bought for them by Tony George.

And to derail the thread a li'l more, don't think for one second that some long-time IRL owners aren't privately seething that they bought chassis and engines for this season only to have Tony George offer them for free to the Champ Car guys to end the split. Publicly they say all the right things like "good for the future of the sport and fans" but they are peeved nonetheless.

Gotta bring money to the table for Jim Head. I'm sure if Gary had the money he would be doing his own deal....But gotta admit couldn't ask for a better driver.

I am sure Gary has something he could contribute. he still has the associate sponsors. It would be a sweet deal. Those two would make an awesome combination.

Problem is, 2 great teams become 1. Although we're now faced with the possibilty of 2 teams going away altogether. Not good. I can't believe there isn't someone who has approached Head to take him up on his offer. He's obviously not afraid to spend his own money, he's just looking for some help, meaning you don't necessarily have to bring millions to the table. I wonder if Densham would make a similar deal if someone brought the chee$e?

I wish I could win a big lottery jackpot. Densham wouldn't have to worry about a sponsor, Grubby and Hillary would have sponsors, and I'd be Jim Head's new driver.

Dave

After reading Jim Head's comments about costs for operating a Nitro car,
it sounds like your comment is happening.
IHRA could have a few NHRA attendees at some of their events this season?
I think the cost increases will cause more independents to stay closer to home.

I've been hearing the Cost of Nitro racing is getting out of hand for the last 15 years! And just like 2000-01 Fuel Racing will once again rebound!:rolleyes:

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back