Garlits/Torrence (1 Viewer)

Thanks Robin. I always like to read about the Anglias. Cannot believe how quick those cars are going with that itty bitty wheelbase. Colin Millar went 7.04 and also 194 speed. Wow.... And he was ticked he didn't run a 6. You remember when the first British 6 second run was made? And now a "Pop" is gonna do it. Wow.... :)

OK, realize this is a bit off the post. All I wanna know is if Garlits will make some runs in a Capco car.

Big is awesome. I’m just a youngster, well 29, but I obviously don’t remember his heyday. My Dad has always been huge into drag racing and NHRA, where I got it from. I’m from Ohio. We drove to the Gators multiple times and of course stopped at the museum. Dad couldn’t wait to show me all the history. Coolest thing that ever shoot me there... we went into the gift shop I think, and are looking around. Not many people there if any at all. And Big Daddy himself walks in. We start small talking with him. Buy some things and get autographed. Then, Big’s mom comes in. We are talking to her, just the nicest lady. My Dad asked for her autograph too, only she was blind. She asked Big for help, and he helped her sign it. Her name, and underneath, “Don’s Mom”. I have it somewhere, I’ll try and post a picture. Pretty cool I think.

Big's Mom was a neat lady. She used to "greet" in the old car museum adjacent to the drag racing museum. My wife and I had a nice chat with her there about 15 years ago.

What can you say about Big? He is drag racing. My youth is filled with stories of his accomplishments. Island Dragway, where he broke 200mph, is just over the PA/NJ border and a short drive away from me. I haven't yet visited his museum and I have never been an autograph hound, but one year at Englishtown's Mopar show I put my camera down and helped Big and a crewmember push his Swamp Rat back up onto it's little trailer when it started getting away from them. That was much more fun than getting a scribble on some scrap of paper....

The Greek is racing this weekend. He is (slightly) older than Garlits. So if the Greek can race, then...... Hello Capco? You boys got a 3rd car?

Read somewhere that this is Greek’s last season, and his granddaughter will begin testing to take over the TF ride next year.

The interview with BIG and Steve on the starting line was interesting. Garlits was hinting around big time about wanting to take a lap in the Capco car. Would be cool if they were able to put that together.
Garlits got detached retinas from hitting both chutes at once on his own car years ago. Now, at 88 years old it would be a BAD idea to drive Steve's car for sure!!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back