Garlits goes to School (1 Viewer)

Nunz

Nitro Member
Competitionplus.com has a great article about Big attending Roy Hill's school to get a license which will allow him to run his electric dragster at NHRA tracks. Pretty cool. I did have a question about his best ET, which the article says was a 6.39, at 182 MPH. 6.39 is a pretty competitive Top Dragster time, and the car looks like it just has a big block with a carb, and the article doesn't mention using Nitrous. And, a 6.39 would equate to well over 200. Just curious, but nonetheless hats off to Big for taking the class.

I'm surprised he didn't go next-door (Gainsville ).
It is entirely possible that Roy Hill is the only one Certified for the electric dragster. I would think that it is more of a class on what to do safety wise in case of fire or battery explosion / electrical short than any thing else. What is anybody going to teach Garlits about steering and stopping a dragster? :D

Typical Garlits: "I could run all the other (non NHRA) tracks and nobody even asks for a license - IT'S ASININE"
One of the dumbest remarks from a man that should know why there are license requirements that I have heard in a long time.

Last edited:
A local mid 80s (years old) Comp racer who passed away several years back claimed to be the oldest NHRA licensed (not for nitro competition, obviously) driver in the country. I do know he was still a licensed dragster pilot when he was in his 80s. Quite an innovator; he was one of the first to take two SBC heads and build one inline 6 head from them and his latest bracket dragster was a sprayed 406 SBC running through a Subaru transaxle which worked surprisingly well, running consistent 4.90 1/8th miles. No idea if his "I'm the oldest" claim was true or not. Someone here may have heard of him - Jerry Agrima.

Rest in peace, you crusty old bastard. :)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back