Funny Car Summer (1 Viewer)

Mooseman

Nitro Member
I recently got a copy of funny car summer , what a cool film filled with amazing old footage. I would love to know what kind of quickchange rear end jim dunn was using in the funny car , I wonder why he used a quickchange or was that normal back then?

What was the price of gas when he pulls in late at night? .319 or something? Some of us still want to live like that.

What kind of horsepower were they running back then , 2000? . How would they get a quickchange to handle that, when most of them are rated at handling between 600 and 800

Wasn't the quick change made by Halibrand? I couldn't think of it earlier, myself.

I think in the movie he's trying to upgrade the rear, isn't he? Don't know if it's for strength or if they just figured out that they were losing power due to the friction of the extra moving parts. We had a thread in the Lounge once about that movie. I found Mike Dunn's e-mail address and told him how much it would mean to everyone here for him to give his own insight on what he could remember about the making of the movie.

There's a lot there to appreciate if you think about it. Look at all those shots (especially the travelling ones) and think about where the camera people had to be, waiting for hiim.

That's what we love about the blown nitro nostalgia thing. We intentionally want to make 70s era horsepower levels while being able to take advantage of modern technology pertaining to driveline and engine parts. Take parts made for much more power and they're loafing. I've heard of fuel engines getting 20 passes out of the BME rods I've got. How long do you think they'll last us? :)

I recently got a copy of funny car summer , what a cool film filled with amazing old footage. I would love to know what kind of quickchange rear end jim dunn was using in the funny car , I wonder why he used a quickchange or was that normal back then?
\

I doubt that a Halibrand or a Franklin would have held up to theat kind of power. I have seen a LARGE quick change that was in a blown alcohol sand dragster years ago that (I THINK) was manufactured by Shieffer. That may have been one of them.

That's what we love about the blown nitro nostalgia thing. We intentionally want to make 70s era horsepower levels while being able to take advantage of modern technology pertaining to driveline and engine parts. Take parts made for much more power and they're loafing. I've heard of fuel engines getting 20 passes out of the BME rods I've got. How long do you think they'll last us? :)

I kinda like the whole nostalgia thing and I dont mind people using modern stuff inside the engine , but when I think nostalgia I expect things to look period correct when it comes to visible things .

I kinda like the whole nostalgia thing and I dont mind people using modern stuff inside the engine , but when I think nostalgia I expect things to look period correct when it comes to visible things .

That's why I looked for ten months to find the 16x14 Weld Draglites for the rear to match the ones on the front to go with my 80 Omni body. Those wheels were EVERYWHERE if you look at early 80s funny car and dragster pics. Most of the nostalgia people I know of are using 6-71 or 8-71 blowers and trying to keep most things period correct. Most do go with the more modern beadlock rears instead of the old tube and liner route that we are.

I made the decision to go the nostalgia route without having ever heard a 6-71 engine on nitro, and was pretty concerned about how much quieter it'd sound over the 7,000-8,000 horsepower modern ones. Took a trip to Bowling Green last Summer and got to stand close to about 2,000 blown nitro horsepower when it fired up in the pits and I was blown away! In my estimation, it's only about 10% quieter than the big ones.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back