Fuel Altereds for Ever (1 Viewer)

dave

Nitro Member
My name is Dave Hough and I've been racing the Nanook AA/ fuel Altered since 1965. In 42 years I haven't found anything that gives me or my family more pleasure. The friendship of the racers, track managers and the Fuel Altered fans can't be replaced. Even though we have had some set backs, we are just as excited today as we were in 1965. With over 15 events this year, it doesn't look like the pleasure will stop anytime soon.
Dave Hough

My name is Dave Hough and I've been racing the Nanook AA/ fuel Altered since 1965.

::: scratches head :::

NanooK? Dave Hough? Hmmmm... Not ringing a bell!!!

JUST KIDDING!!!!!!

Welcome in Dave.

I do want to say that I REALLY hope this year goes better than last year for your family!!

Dave.....always enjoyed AA/FA and it's always great to see your team out there..
Fuel Altered pilots are the real drivers of drag racing w/ everything/anything that could go wrong...It's the only class that alot of veteran fuel drivers in the NHRA tour will avoid....it shows your true colors....

Last year in Boise I assisted Mitch king and his 120" fuel altered....I was blown away on how stout of a combo he ran....Big everything/dual mags/65 degrees advance/92% in the tank (I mixed it)/ a ton of wt on the arms and it was wild....I have never been more afraid for a driver until I met Mitch and his fuel altered...

Keep up the good work and the shiny side up...

Welcome Dave! Long time AA/FA fan! Great "Pic of the week" on the NHRA site. Best of luck this up coming year to you and your family!

l remember talking with Ron Hope at the 2005 Pontiac Performance NHRA Nationals at National Trail Raceway, Ohio. He was telling me when the "Bradford Bros," "Pure Heaven," "Nanook" and "Rat Trap" Fuel Altereds were at the Goodwood Festival Of Speed in England, the majority of people present had never seen a Fuel Altered. He was very surprised when they started up "Rat Trap" and switched over to nitro, when the engine started "cackling" nobody stepped back from the car. BUT when he blipped the throttle he said he could see daylight between the bottom of their shoes and the tarmac, he couldn't stop laughing inside his mask.

Dave at the 2005 Pontiac Performance NHRA Nationals your trailer was next to Ron's and l also talked with you and purchased a "Nanook" t-shirt which you kindly autographed for me.

Then you driving "Nanook" raced Ron driving "Rat Trap." You both did your burnouts but when "Rat Trap" got back to the startline Ron had to shut off the car due to an electrical fault.

Which was a blessing in disguise, on your run you got all outta shape and crossed over into Ron's lane - it could have been very nasty if Ron's car had been racing alongside your car.

John, sometimes thats what 3,500 HP in 115" wheel base does on a damp track. Sometimes Fuel Altereds haul ass and sometimes they hit something. That is the fan appeal, unpredictable.
Dave Hough

Topic says it all "Fuel Altereds Forever!!" And now you have adopted Steve Tryon into your clan! How about a schedule of events Dave!

Suzanne, thanks for the kind words. Our schedule as of today is,
March 30th & 31st - NHRA Houston
April 28th & 29th - NHRA Atlanta
May 19th - Norwalk Raceway
May 20th - National Trail Raceway
June 16th - F/A Nationals - Tucson, AZ
June 23rd - Saskatoon Int'l Raceway - Canada
June 30th - Yellowstone Dragstrip - Billings,MT
July 8th - Rocky Mountain Raceway
July 14th - Medicine Hat Dragway - Canada
July 21st - Yellowstone Dragstrip -Billings, MT
August 4th - Rocky Mountain Raceway
August 17th & 18th - WFAN @ Eddyville, IA
August 24th & 25th - World series of Drag Racing - Cordova, IL
Sep't 1st & 2nd - Race City - Calgary - Canada
Sep't 15th - Chuy's Fuel Altered Classic - Famoso Raceway
We have a few more in the works, but to be honest, this schedule is more than we wanted.

Suzanne, thanks for the kind words. Our schedule as of today is,

We have a few more in the works, but to be honest, this schedule is more than we wanted.

Wow - you'll be busy this summer for sure. Of course, even if it's more than you wanted, it'll never be enough for us. Might have to make (another) trek to Calgary this summer... Good luck! :D

Randy Baker missed this? :eek:

Randy's a funny car driver, but I think he kinda likes altereds, too. :D

Last edited:
Yeah, Randy's a funny car driver. He's on classicfunnycarboard a lot talking about how someday he'd like to drive an altered! (and I'm just glad he lives in Iowa, cause he'd beat me for saying this!)

Randy's a funny car driver, but I think he kinda likes altereds, too.

Ron, stop speaking that blasphmey,,,someone might start believing you!! ;) Although, I did drive a 90% nitro funnycar a couple weeks ago,,,it was pretty darn fun!!!

Dave,

Welcome to the board. It is cool you dropped in here. Talk about living in Fuel Altered Heaven, I get to race with Dave and the gang in our WFAN, and then again at Cordova!! How cool is that!!!

Also Congrats on James's run the other day. That was a stout pass and pretty cool to hear about. :cool:

Rapid {Warning Ron he had better watch out,,,I have friends near him} :eek:

There are a few of us that are going to make the trip to Eddieville, can't wait to see these AA/FA's. Now all we need to complete it is..Rapid and Dave side by side fire burnouts! lol

Good, Thanks for asking! I would say we will probably be ready to fire up in a week or so.

Rapid

Randy,,, Lip told me that YOU might be doing some time in a cave with an injected 90%'R ...Say it isn't so.. I'm Back..:D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back