From IBM to Drag Racing (1 Viewer)

Reakha Janus

Nitro Member
Hi Everyone!

I am new to this forum and new to the exciting world of drag racing. My good friend, Paul Lee, turned me onto drag racing while we both worked at IBM. Paul drives a nitro funny car and it was through him I gained an appreciation for the sport.

One of the many things that I am amazed at is all the science, technology, engineering, and math that is involved in making the car perform. In fact, it was one of the things that inspired me to create the “Science of Racing”. It’s pretty obvious to me that the so-called “gearheads” who make these cars high-performing are… really smart. It’s no different than the brilliant computer and technology gearheads that I have worked with at IBM (although I much prefer a day at the track).

I’m looking forward to attending more races… and learning more about the science behind racing from all you out there.

P.S. The Science of Racing will be hosting a bunch of kids at the race in Reading on Sept. 15 & 16. We are looking for someone who can tag along with us on the 16th (Saturday) to video tape our day at the race. Please let me know if you’re interested.

A hearty welcome to the Mater Reakha!!! You'll find a great bunch of people here. You project sounds great. Hope you get the details worked out. The kids will love their days at the races I'm sure.

Welcome to the board. :) I too have been involved with the world of IT for many years. I even approached IBM a few years back..... The science and technologies are truly amazing, and just as much so in the sportsman categories as in the professional categories.

You're way too smart for this board. Please unregister and re-register with a lower IQ score. :D

Seriously, welcome to the board and good luck with the project. It's sounds great.

Welcome to the disease. I've not met Paul, but he did drive my friends fuel funny car earlier this year at an IHRA event, and the guys were really pleased with his ability. Seems like a good guy, with a bunch of promise.

As to your comments about what you have found in this mess we call motorsport, I've often said that it is the ultimate in a science and physics project. This applies in all forms, but truly manifests itself when nitro enters the equation.

Whatever you do, don't limit yourself to just the NHRA pros when it comes to nitro racing. Ask Ron Capps and he'll tell ya to go hang with some of the nostalgia (vintage) class of nitro racers. It is all good, and very addicting. I know, as I have a pile of parts in my shop that shows how bad I have it.

As it was explained to me, nitro racing is for those who love work and hate money.

And giving kids an exciting activity to be around, they cannot help but learn and see how/where math and science comes into play.

Welcome Reakha..........love the whole "science of racing" concept, especially when it benefits kids:)

As it was explained to me, nitro racing is for those who love work and hate money.
Dale NICE....VERY NICE......... may have to plagiarize that one:D :D

You Guys Are Awesome!

Thanks for the support and kind words, everyone! I have a feeling that I'm going to enjoy this forum.

Paul Lee is in Indy this weekend. So if any of you happen to be there, please stop by the J&B Motorsports pit. He'd love to hear from you -- tell him that Sci-Girl says hello.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back