Four Wide and Pro Board (1 Viewer)

If PRO stated..."WE'LL NEVER RUN 4-WIDE FOR POINTS"....
That will NEVER happen, quite frankly they don't have the 'nads.

I WOULD LOVE TO SEE a 4-Wide BIG MONEY NON-POINTS two-day race happening in Vegas during the April slot for next year though... BIG SHOW CARS, NITRO NOSTALGIA CARS, PRO MOD CARS, ALCOHOL CARS...NHRA UNLEASHED CARS... that'd be a cool show.

I agree that sounds like a grreat show. I just fail to see what giving or NOT giving points has to do with anything. 4-wide is 4-wide:confused:

I agree that sounds like a grreat show. I just fail to see what giving or NOT giving points has to do with anything. 4-wide is 4-wide:confused:

4-WIDE with POINTS is

- SAFETY CONCERN
- CONFUSING FORMAT
- DOES NOT GIVE SPONSORS GOOD VALUE...:rolleyes:
- IS A CIRCUS ATMOSPHERE... according to PRO....
- IMPACTS THE CHAMPIONSHIP CHASE BECAUSE IN ORDER TO ADVANCE YOU ONLY NEED TO BE 2nd BEST IN EACH RACE!!!!!

Why is 4-wide a "safety" concern when points are given, but perfectly safe when points are NOT given???:confused:

You call it a "circus atmosphere" others call it part of the show. Just like a burnout - directing a car back after - raising the F/C bodys, none are needed BUT are "part of the show"

4-wide @ vegas II would be great.......
'break their concentration'.........are you kidding me!! concentration on what!
certainly not winning.....winning what!? 50k to be #1!?
what the hell does 50k do!?
covers weekend expenses for JFR? covers one payroll for DSR?

whatever fills the stands; if's it's 2 lanes, then so be it.

i'd like to see 18 car fields and 3-wide racing @ vegas. (with 4 walls)
final race would truly be win/place/show :cool:

Last edited:
OK.. NHRA is not scared of PRO.... i can't remember PRO standing up to the NHRA and the NHRA backing off on anything ever...lol...

THE 4-wide deal was all Bruton Smith... NHRA was bullied into it IMO... which i conclude from his past work with NASCAR... he has tried to bluff his way with NASCAR many times and they never flinched... NHRA flinched...

IF the rumors are true to how displeased the sponsors are with the deal thats the only group that will have the strength to prevent a 4-wide event for points. if they pay the teams bills they can decide not to cover that event in their deals.... with one on one races win or loose they can get some tv time to make it worth their while.. 4-wide showed how hard it was to get tv time unless you blew up or won/advanced

4-Wide specility race works because extra funds for the pay off could allow some teams to run with out the extra funds from a sponsrship...so if a team runs it i bet a sponsor might kick in some funds ..but not as much as a normal race weekend... or base it on how much tv time they do get....

Billy

.....IF the rumors are true to how displeased the sponsors are with the deal thats the only group that will have the strength to prevent a 4-wide event for points. if they pay the teams bills they can decide not to cover that event in their deals.... with one on one races win or loose they can get some tv time to make it worth their while.. 4-wide showed how hard it was to get tv time unless you blew up or won/advanced

4-Wide specility race works because extra funds for the pay off could allow some teams to run with out the extra funds from a sponsrship...so if a team runs it i bet a sponsor might kick in some funds ..but not as much as a normal race weekend... or base it on how much tv time they do get....

Billy

if the Smiths and NHRA press for 2011 4-wide for points, perhaps they
should show their racers what they will do to compensate for their
various sponsors during TV broadcast.......and sooner than later.
(everybody's gotta' bend and give a little)

The only way PRO is going to prove its influence is to formally notify NHRA of their issue and if it is not resolved to PRO's satisfaction to stand by their demand and if necessary not race. After all they are the ones putting on the show. If they don't race NHRA loses money and with NHRA it's all about money.
That would definitely make NHRA respect PRO but I can't see the PRO racers having the guts to do something like that.

Why is 4-wide a "safety" concern when points are given, but perfectly safe when points are NOT given???:confused:

You call it a "circus atmosphere" others call it part of the show. Just like a burnout - directing a car back after - raising the F/C bodys, none are needed BUT are "part of the show"

Your last sentence...you're kidding, right?

Ask Jim Head how much of a burnout is needed. ;) I seem to remember reading how he went to a very short one--more of a dry hop--and NHRA TOLD him to make a longer burnout. :rolleyes:

Ask Jim Head how much of a burnout is needed. ;) I seem to remember reading how he went to a very short one--more of a dry hop--and NHRA TOLD him to make a longer burnout. :rolleyes:
No, but I do remember in Houston when he had his streamliner dragster, he had a hard time getting it started on a qualifying run, so he just pulled it into the beams without a burnout, and made a run that moved him into the top half of the field, with no burnout.

.......After all they are the ones putting on the show. If they don't race NHRA loses money and with NHRA it's all about money.
That would definitely make NHRA respect PRO but I can't see the PRO racers having the guts to do something like that.

no, the nhra is putting on the show.
the teams are independent subcontractors of their sponsors under contract
to show up and work at 23 of nhra's jobsites annually.
you no race - you no pay

Mike I don't disagree but if the sponsors are not getting the air time that they would get on a regular 2 lane track they may get involved also. On Bruton's 4 lane track with the ESPN coverage we saw there were some cars running that you never saw or if you did it was only momentary. That's a lot less coverage than the sponsors are used to. I can't imagine their sponsors are happy about that.
The sponsors can also dictate to the car owners what races they are willing to sponsor them for and with the limited funds some of the owners have they will park their cars rather than run on their own dime. Look at the Kenny Bernstein situation. Kenny made it very clear if he didn't have a sponsor the car would sit, so did Prudhomme and he is now out of the business. They both can afford to run without a sponsor but won't.

We are also seeing more and more pro cars with sponsorship for 1 race or a few more, but not for all 23 races. How often have we seen Doug Herbert this year?
We shall see what happens. I think the 4 lane is going to be very limited in the future, if it even happens again. Plus the points are totally screwed up at a 4 lane race vs. a 2 lane race.
Look at the small fields that the 4 wide race had. Many of the cars that normally show wern't there. Only the Pro Stock class has a large number of entries.

Read Terry Blount's column on the ESPN website. He really slams the "whiny racers" and includes quotes from Bruton to the effect that if the racers don't like it..."where's IHRA". Bruton claims that he's trying to make the sport better......what he's really doing is pad his own pockets. He's just pissed because he decided to turn drag racing into a circus (bigger than NHRA already has) and now nobody wants to play.

Wonder why NHRA didn't consult ANY racers before putting the 4-wide race on the schedule? Didn't have anything to do with PRO....they knew that noone would want to run it.

My son said you couldn't believe how many fans came by their pit and said what a joke they thought the whole thing was. The starting line procedures were a hassle for all the crew chiefs, the crews could never figure out who ran what and it was a pain in the ass to get the cars in the right places in the staging lanes. Too confusing, hard to follow, don't want to do it again!!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back