Ford Back in PS? (1 Viewer)

house

Nitro Member
I know that his first two rounds were not picture perfect, but it was nice to see LM get to the semis in Ford's first serious race in years. The times were competitive, but the front shots look like the Mustang is way wider than the other makes. Ford still looks a bit down on horsepower, or aero?, but to qualify and go a couple rounds the first rattle out of the box is something many didn't think was going to happen this early. Comments?

Looks to me like he is making about the same HP as he did with the Mopar at this point. So that's not bad. However, the Fords will not run with the "extinct" Pontiacs this season.

It's good to see a Ford back in the mix. However, I hope he enjoyed it, because something tells me weekends like this will be few and far between, at least for this season.

Sean D

Looks to me like he is making about the same HP as he did with the Mopar at this point. So that's not bad. However, the Fords will not run with the "extinct" Pontiacs this season.

It was good to see Larry make the field, but he'll need to find two more miles per hour to run with the big dogs. That's a lot to make up, plus don't forget that the class leaders are continuing their R&D as well. The gap may stay the same. Frankly, I don't know how he can catch them. I see Larry, and the Fords, qualifying at the back of the fields...when they make a field. The Pontiacs are such good cars. I don't see anyone catching or passing the Pontiacs this year. Allen Johnson's Avenger is better than his Stratus, but he's still off Edwards pace by about the same amount as last year.

This is a tough class! I can't imagine starting from scratch (Ford) and expecting to compete for quite some time...

Im glad ford is back,but im confused,how did Morgan get all his stuff and can qualify when EE isnt even out there when they started with the ford last year. Just seems like either EE teams doesnt care or they are on teh backburner for some reason??

Morgan was already a pretty steady qualifier and they've openly said they basically copied all of the Mopar stuff during the transition, so it's no surprise to me he made the show. How that translates into his stuff running so much better than Cunningham's stuff, who knows.

Like Johnny said, they're still behind. Even if they copied the existing Mopar stuff that was running decent, they're still dealing with a new chassis and aero package with the Mustang, so they've still got some growing pains to go through. When they get that all done, they'll probably be back to where they originally were with regards to the performance gap with the GM cars.

Sean D

I think the Roush-Yates involvement with Justin Humphries will help the Fords-those NASCAR guys make a lot of power. Most of the really fast Pro Stock teams have some connection to NASCAR engine builders, with the exception of Allen Johnson.

I think the Roush-Yates involvement with Justin Humphries will help the Fords-those NASCAR guys make a lot of power. Most of the really fast Pro Stock teams have some connection to NASCAR engine builders, with the exception of Allen Johnson.

That will definitely be interesting to watch unfold, Dave. Like you said, the NASCAR influence has had a pretty significant impact on some GM stuff, huh?

Sean D

I'm a Mopar fan through and through, but I was still happy to see Larry go a few rounds. Once he qualified he basically did what Chrisman wanted to do against Dixon in Top Fuel - Made sure he left on time (green) and went A to B... If the car in the other lane couldn't do that - he'd win. That philosophy worked twice.

I would guess some NASCAR engine programs have picked up some tricks from drag racers too.

it looked like you had to be .62 or faster to have any real shot at it, from the rounds i saw morgan was .67 or slower. Gotta give him credit though, he's alot better than some of the other fords that were out there.

good to see ford in the mix, but they need to get more runs and data for sure. greg anderson was 1 hundredth and 1 mph behind mike edwards for the first 3 rounds he had 30 in the bank off the gate in the finals, and what happened... edwards put 4 hundreths on him! i cant see anyone beating mike edwards again this year, theve picked up were they left off. im sure allen johnson will get a few wins, greg and jason maybe 2 each, jeggie and some dark horses like johnny gray, but it will take a lot of luck for larry and a ford to get a win this early into thier campaign . good to see brand rivalries again.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back