Fontana update (1 Viewer)

Dragracer

Nitro Member
Has anyone heard anything about what is happening with drag racings future at Fontana? It's been real quiet and the lawsuit was settled months ago.

What I have heard is that a conditional use permit is requiring a sound barrier wall to be implemented just north of the track. The last time I drove on Cherry Ave., I did not see any signs of a new wall so perhaps racing to resume next year?

There's much more to it than a neighbor complaining.

I'm will be out in Fontana this Friday for some gig that has to do with Shelby America and I'll see what I can find out then.

Last edited:
The lawsuit hasnt been settled because they haven't been back to court. THe problem neighbor has been bought out.

Railroad is 100 percent legal and the neighbor use to complain about them all the time.

We don't say this enough. Thank you ISC and Gillian for working to get our track back. I surely appreciate everything you do on our behalf and I will happily support the track when I returns.

It is a much needed outlet for automotive enthusiasts.
Just curious, does anyone know how long the Fontana shutdown area is?

Not long enough to satisfy NHRA's insurer. I understand that you need 2 feet of shutoff length for every 1 foot of track now. If and when it's reopen, it's quite possible that it will have to be run as 1000 ft. track.

I'll be on the property on Friday and will try and make my way over to the north side to have a look if anything is going on.

The resident in question was 650' due north of the starting line.

When Beth Rice was still managing the drag strip, she told me the roundy-round track had been granted a decibel limit of 150 thus making them "legal" for all events held inside there. Didn't mean people didn't call and complain during an event inside the track, but they were SOL.

The track brought this issue with the drag strip noise on themselves when they were pressured by NASCAR to move the track from the south to it's current location. You guys would still be racing there today if this hadn't occurred but the minimal revenue from the drag strip makes this a hard battle to fight.

I very well could be wrong, but I believe Tom Kernan & AAA are the ones leading the charge to get this problem resolved so drag racing can continue there. The strip income ($) will never be a deciding factor in California Speedway showing a profit for the year.

1320', 1000', 660'...

I don't care! I just want a place to race that is less than two-three hours from home! :p

If it comes to pass that we get our track back and AAA was responsible for it's return, they DEFIANTLY will have a customer for life. I'll even root for Robert Hight.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back