Florida Trailer Rules? (1 Viewer)

It has been many years since I drove Truck (Peterbuilt only please) but I do remember having to stop and get permits in almost every state I crossed. Most of them were good for period of time, 3, 5 or 7 days comes to mind. This is nothing new, but it's a great way for some states to make a little extra cash. I don't think they will keep them from going in, they just want them to buy the permits. Another cost of racing.

Just my thoughts.
Dan

Last edited:
Sorry for the duplicate post I didn't see the other. I didn't think about the permit deal..... Chalk it up to the cost of racing I guess! :rolleyes:

This was posted by Mel Eaves on another site, some of you may know him. Mel Eaves here. The calls have been crazy. Having a NRC/RENEGADE 78 ft. the sudden enforcement a statute so close to Gators. I spoke with David Fairchild at FDOT regarding the rules. As many of you are aware , according to the U.S. Dept of Tranportation/Office of Motor Carrier Standards "A recreational vehicle which is not used in commerce and which is operated solely as a family/personal conveyance for recreational purposes is not covered under the Commercial Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1986". A racer can make money and still not fall under DOT rules. According to the IRS the income must be "incidental income" reported as "HOBBY INCOME" to the IRS and NO sch. c form has been submitted for racing operation. Remember ALL states reciprocate. This means if you are legal in your state to operate you are legal anywhere. Now bact to Fla. Mr. Fairchild asked that a correction be made re: His quote to me " A trailer may be over 28 ft. as long as the truck/trailer combined do not exceed 65 ft. a permit is not required" A motor home/trailer exceeding 65 Ft. still requirethis permit. A single trip in 10. bucks, an ann. permit is 20.00 . Best results is to log onto Florida Department of Transportation . A single trip can be faxed to you. a ann. is by mail. Also if any one wants copies of my letters from Washington,D.C.,Tenn.,Ga.,and fl. let me know. Now remember if your going somewhere else instate other than where your permit is issued you need to get another to your destination, If your permit is good to gainesville and your going to orlando or bradenton after you need another permit.

True...Florida is looking to make a bit of revenue. But, there is a growing concern with the size/weight of "recreational" vehicles running up and down the highways. At least Florida issued an advisory prior to race week.

It won't be long before the US DOT makes the Class 6, 7, and 8 Toter/Motorhomes with trailers attached fall under commercial vehicle regulations. While the intent may not be for "profit" situations, they're going to start clamping down on the sheer size, weight, air brakes, and what we carry in our rigs (fuel, oil, batteries, etc.). They are, for lack of a better word, semi's with really, really nice sleepers.

The end result will be that racers using those types of haulers will be required to have a Class A CDL with haz mat, air brake, and combination vehicle endorsements...and they'll have to adhere to the hours of service rules...and don't forget commercial vehicle insurance, permits, weights, yada, yada, yada. You might as well buy a Peterbilt (387, 388, or 389) with a 53' hauler...carry 5 cars and split the costs with other racers...and drive your own Class A motorcoach to the races al la sports car racers. This is coming...when? Who knows. Some say 2009 while others think it will take 5-7 years.

Or...we'll see a comeback of the 1-ton dually with a 50' living quarters gooseneck trailer attached. Keep the beast under 26,001 pounds and under 65' in length.

This was an issue more then a few years ago in California... I'm not sure what ever happened with that whole deal... But my trailer use to cost approx. $300+ to register PER year... I left it parked without moving it for three years, and had to move... It cost me well over a $1000 bucks to move it two miles, I acually think it was closer to $2000 because I bought it in Iowa and had not registered it in CA.:mad: And then I paid the new license on it at the same time, which ended up costing me TEN dollars for five years... I just got my renewal in the mail last week... And guess what? TEN freakin dollars for another five years... :D :eek: Why do I follow the law??:rolleyes: CA. Don't ya love it!!!

Everyone wants things to their advantage. Pretty unfair if you have to register things as commercial, but then the IRS says you're not a business and can't deduct expenses unless you can show a profit in 3 out of 5 years.

Why not every person on here write to FL and say that maybe NHRA needs to pull their race and put in another state!! Probably would cost them some 10 million for couple of thousand in trailer fees!! How dumb can you be!!!

i was told that the FLA dot was all over Daytona on the RV's that had trailers during speedweeks.. mainly the ones hitting the small ovals that run during speedweeks.. and some buddies that go to bike weeks said they are all over them as well right now...

i guess Fla IS looking for ways to make more off of the tourists... got to get stae funds from somewhere... Daytona Speedway gets a huge tax break from the city, county and state...

Billy

im sorry but alot of you are going to get mad about this but here it is first off i am and have been in the transport business for 20 yrs. this fla rule is flat wrong most of your truck/trailer combos are over 70' so what this is about is flat out about is money !!!! MOST PEOPLE WHO OWNS these toters/buses need to have a class A license, sorry but the plain fact is most people have no idea how to handle these big units . think about it totes/buses have the exact same systems that tractor /trailers do, so i think any one drivng the units should have to have a class A. there are lot of you out there that have a hard time handleing these big units. now back to fla, is just like any other state they are creating a new law just to make more money they know that 90% of all combintion vehicles are over 70' ,unless they are yellow frieght, and as for the 28' trailers over 80% are more than 48'.. alll states make up these bs rules now we as business owners need to stand up and fight back!!!! the feds law states a combo vech can be no longer that 100' before its considered overlenght. and almost all states adhere to the bridge formula which is king pin to center of the axles can be no more than 39'- 41' depends on the state, calf is 41' , va is 40' all states have different rules this rules just plain out stinks,writethe fla congreeman and complain and keep on doing it!!! oh like calf has a motorsport exemption law that states if you are registerd as a motorsport teamyou can run a53' spread axle trailer, now if you area common carrier you can only run a 48' spred but you can stilll have it 53' trailer. all states have these crazy laws that dont make since. so write write fla and complain !!!!!! and dont stop thanks

What really needs to happen is that the DOT should get their head out and recognize that there are commercial haulers and then there are toters for personal use. It's about safety (rather than a dually and trailer overloaded and under braked) for the owners of the larger rigs who chose to use them for racing.

I agree that a CDL should be required for these rigs because you need to know how to do a safety inspection on air brakes, plus pass a stiffer exam for licensing, but all the rest of the balonie that goes along with the likes of a commercial rig racking up 30,000 miles a month should not apply to the toter for private use that might see 10-20,000 miles per year.

Do yourself a favor and get a CDL, get the proper paperwork (including MSDS sheets available on the internet), use a log book, and have all the required safety stuff even if you are licensed as a motorhome. If you get busted it will take a big portion of the wind out of their sails if they decide to throw the book at you and/or park you.

California DOT website has information on the STAA network and motorsports exemptions for KPRA and length. With a commercially licensed rig there is no length limit for motorsports rigs. My rig is 81' long, but it's registered as a motorhome so someday will be my lucky day I suppose. I printed the information and keep it in a folder in the truck just in case I need to "educate" the local law enforcement, but I can get stopped because of the motorhome registration anyway.

If they ask me to reregister my rig commercial they can't touch me for length. Or, if they accept my rig's motorhome registration they can pop me for length. But they can't do both.

Bottom line is, the DOT needs to wake up and recognize that in the last few years a new breed of vehicles has emerged. Laws need to be established based on the non commercial use of toters that fit the use they get. Lumping toters into the same collection of laws and regulations that a Yellow Freight truck driver gets is just wrong.

RG

It will save you alot of time and hassel if you just get the axel measurements on your rig and get a permit, why take a chance of sitting the whole weekend. If you dont need a permit they will tell you when you call and give the specs. better safe than sorry. I guy I know pulls a 3 car hauler with a dually and got popped $1000 a month ago down there, they said his dually wasn't a power unit for some reason.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back