NHRA racers BEWARE, NC DOT is giving tickets to racers (1 Viewer)

JFrechJr

Nitro Member
Found this over at insidecompracing.com figured I would give the heads-up here too....

"Be aware that the NC DOT is ticketing racers that exceed 65 ft total length with any vech that is tagged as a motorhome. Any dullie that pulls a trailer longer than 48 ft on sec. roads. Any vech. or combo that exceeds 25000lbs without a CDL. Basically, unless you tow with a totor that is tagged as a commerical vech and have your cdl's you will recieve a ticket of upwards of 1000.00 if stopped. I urge ALL of you to call your state congressmen/women to pressure NC to allow a motorsports exemption on at least the length laws and the tag law for a motorhome."

"Just talked to NC DOT and they told me anything over 60 feet total will be ticketed or told to go back or detained this is for all motorhomes with trailers if you have a toter not that is not registered RV your good sorry they said your welcome to come but don't bring that trailer with the motor home or find some way of moving them seperate."

Thank you for the info John, I remember Fletch had that problem with his toter and stacker in California. I think our rig is 72 feet end to end, so I'm glad I'm not going there!

I'm headed to Sacramento for the Governor's Cup race and I'm a little worried about going down there.

I have a dullie and a 44 foot goose with commercial advertising all over it. I talked to some guys from Cal with a similar set up in Medford who said not to worry about it but their trailer wasn't a billboard like mine.

Does this have anything to do with insurance? As in, the vehicle doing the towing has a certain type of insurance, that if in an accident when towing a trailer, the insurance would not cover the accident, so that the other party wouldnt be coverd, since the insurance was taken out for one thing and the towing of competition related vehicles and products isnt what the insurance was taken out for?
Is this because the "normal" size and weight and the situation of towing, is such that the average driver would not have the proper knowledge of how to handle a potential accident about to happen and how to at the best of someones ability to react properly.
It seems to me, that I have read that a team had an accident awhile ago, that had signage on their trailer that thier insurance company denied the claim because their insurance was of a family vehicle type, which is cheaper than that of a "suspected" business, which we all know racers dont really make money on racing, they just occassionally get some money to reinvest in their opertations.

No, it's all about revenue. They want you to register it as a truck (much more expensive than a motorhome), to get a CDL (much more costly than a regular license), to pay the fuel tax, and to get snagged by their weight limit fines at the weigh stations.

As a wise person once said: when in doubt, follow the money.

no 2 states are a like in this. I think what happened was the toters started getting the size of semis so they started watching. I you are towing with a pick up they should leave you alone.

Also.. i believe what got the NCDOT realy going were a few issues with some over sized boats being haulded form a outer banks mfgr...

Suposedly there are a few new laws being re-written ti fix some of the issues... Suposedly... the Gov has asked the DOT and NC Highway partol to ease up a bit till things get straitened out... guess next week with the NHRA and the ADRL evetns in NC time will tell....

Billy

This is really cool. Sure makes me want to haul my stuff down there to race. How about some nice big buck tickets to welcome me to this fabulous new Drag Strip. Did anybody bother to check this out before they built the track; or is this just one more example of looking out for the racers? Cause your bread and butter (sportsman racers) more trouble and they'll go away. Then make the ticket holders cover the lost revenue from the entry fees. Good stuff:mad:

Dave

I’m no where near an expert on this type of stuff, but here in Minnesota; you are exempt from MN DOT Laws as long as you are just visiting and you are in compliance with your states DOT laws. Maybe NC doesn’t have this type of exemption.

Might be something to look into, I don’t know…

You would think that states would be interested in putting out the tourism welcome mat for the economic impact the race has especially in a state where racing is such a big deal. In Oregon they eased up on the law since Woodburn and the indy race has a tremendous economic impact.

In the past there realy hasn't been a problem with the laws... suposedly there was a conflict between a Boat mfgr and a highway patrol office... or so the rumor goes...

I know at the recent seminar at RCR's shop.. Mrs Rae the state rep was asked about the two big events coming up and how they would be affected... apparently in her most politicly correct way she looked at the DOT and Highway patrol reps there.. and stated we had no problems at the IHRA Spring Nationals in Rockingham this year.....lol

We use to run our trucks and trailer with dealer tags.... when i got pulled i always said i was transporting for a sale. ..didn't know what was in the traielr if anything.. and nope . i didn't have a key for it...lol...

Billy

I'm headed to Sacramento for the Governor's Cup race and I'm a little worried about going down there.

I have a dullie and a 44 foot goose with commercial advertising all over it. I talked to some guys from Cal with a similar set up in Medford who said not to worry about it but their trailer wasn't a billboard like mine.

I drove our stuff all over the west coast for the last 5 years, and I am 75 feet long. I keep the cruise on 55mph in CA, and have never even been given a second look. We have a Monaco motorhome and a stacker trailer.

In a duallie with a gooseneck, I think you'll be fine. Just don't do anything driving to draw attention to yourself, and you will not even be noticed, graphics or not. My dad always told me "Drive as fast as your wallet is fat!"

Ours has living quarters and is registered as an RV. The Toter is also registered as a recreational-not for hire-RV.

Just what they are looking for. Better keep log books and have a CDL unless you don't mind camping out in a truck scale until you find someone who has one to move it for you.

I was gonna say, someone just show this thread to Bruton and watch what happens! I bet whatever is needed would then get done. :D

I can hear it now. "I'm pumping how much money into the economy and you're running people off before they even get there?"

Maybe Bruton should run for Governor.

Last edited:
I was gonna say, someone just show this thread to Bruton and watch what happens! I bet whatever is needed would then get done. :D

I can hear it now. "I'm pumping how much money into the economy and you're running people off before they even get there?"

Maybe Bruton should run for Governor.

Funny you mention that.. the current governor.. vetoed a amendment to the laws that would have fixxed alot of ths issues.... Guess who is one of his biggest backers....lol.....

Billy

I seem to recall that a couple of years ago Drag Racing Online or another publication had a posting of the Federal DOT laws pertaining to race transporters, including a Q&A session with a Fed guy. It was about lengths, weights, CDL, log books, etc. It mentioned that most of the vehicles tagged with "private carrier, motor home, RV etc." were illegal under the laws for towing race transporters. And, transporters or tow vehicles that had commerical advertising on them were COMMERCIAL vehicles and subject to the same laws as the OTR trucks. This was a Federal issue and inforcible by state agencies, in additon to state laws enforced on state roads other than federal byways. Some states choose more latitude in enforcement of race oriented vehicles other than the big rigs used by the major players.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back