Flash Gordon Mineo (1 Viewer)

Sad news indeed, I always liked him in the interviews with Steve Evans on the drag racing 93 video, and he sure had some sweet looking funny cars. That's now two drag racers lost since friday, a super twin fuel bike rider Svein Gottenberg was tragicaly killed in a racing accident on Friday :(

R.I.P to both

Small world

My wife and I went to the movies last night with another couple that she works with. Just before the start of the show he gets a call regarding a boating accident on the TX/OK border. He works for the Coast Guard specializing in maritime (sp?) law. I had no idea at the time...

I met Paul in 1977 at a divisional race at the old Houston track. I was 15 at the time and remember he was very sociable and we laughed alot. I was also at HRP for one of his bad fires. Here's four in a tribute to Flash.

flash1-1.jpg

flash4.jpg

flash3-1.jpg

flash2-1.jpg

Wow, how sad. I just heard the name on the local news a few minutes ago and thought about this thread, I didn't realize what had happened until now. R.I.P. Gordon Mineo.

Local speedboat chatter says one of the boats may have lost one of his engines and that caused a boat to veer and slam into the other boat.

Last edited:
This guy was the epitome of the "Grass Roots" racer!. He was a true do-it-yourselfer who could get it done. I still remember his F/C body flying a hundred)+ feet into the air at BeeLine Dragway in about 1967 or thereabouts. It's sad that he's gone but he won't be forgotten. Thanks for the memories Flash!

god what a tragedy to have him his wife, daughter and her husband all killer. reat in peace and god speed, our hearts are with you.

Godspeed Gordon - you'll surely be missed. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

But let's try to remember... at least he died doing what he loved doing. As someone mentioned in the Steve Irwin thread in the Lounge, we should all hope to go out that way. As much as it saddens us who remain, he's in a better place.

Rest in Peace Flash.

Mineo family obituary and guest book

Please click on the 'Guest Book' at the bottom, to share your thoughts with the Mineo Family.

Gordon And Ann Mineo
MINEO, , "FLASH" GORDON & ANN Of Rockwall TX passed away September 2, 2006, as the result of a boating accident on Lake Texoma. Ann, 59, was born December 6, 1946, in New Orleans LA to Ronald and Evelyn Weibelt. Gordon, 61, a professional racecar driver and businessman, was born June 19, 1945, in Detroit MI to Joseph and Lorraine Mineo.

They are survived by their children Jason and Trisha of Rockwall. The couple is also survived by Andrea's father: Ronald Weibelt of Rockwall; brothers: Ronald Jr. of 29 Palms CA and Bruce of Hunnington Beach CA; her aunt: Jeanne Hebert and husband Max of Gretna LA; Gordon's brother: Clarence Mineo of Riverside CA; and his aunt: Fran McClouth of Warren, MI.

Funeral services will be held 2:30pm Wednesday, September 6, 2006, at Rest Haven Funeral Home-Rockwall Chapel with Msgr. Robert Coerver officiating. Interment will follow in Rest Haven Memorial Park.

The family will receive friends from 6:00 to 8:00pm Tuesday at the funeral home. For more information please visit www.resthavenfuneral.com Rest Haven Rockwall Chapel 972-771-8641

Funeral Homes - Cemetery - Crematory - Florist Owned by the Cain Family

OB6 Obituaries, Notices
Published in the Dallas Morning News on 9/5/2006.
Guest Book • Funeral home info • Flowers • Gift Shop • Charities

Mineo family obituary and guest book

Please click on the 'Guest Book' at the bottom, to share your thoughts with the Mineo Family.

Gordon And Ann Mineo
MINEO, , "FLASH" GORDON & ANN Of Rockwall TX passed away September 2, 2006, as the result of a boating accident on Lake Texoma. Ann, 59, was born December 6, 1946, in New Orleans LA to Ronald and Evelyn Weibelt. Gordon, 61, a professional racecar driver and businessman, was born June 19, 1945, in Detroit MI to Joseph and Lorraine Mineo.

They are survived by their children Jason and Trisha of Rockwall. The couple is also survived by Andrea's father: Ronald Weibelt of Rockwall; brothers: Ronald Jr. of 29 Palms CA and Bruce of Hunnington Beach CA; her aunt: Jeanne Hebert and husband Max of Gretna LA; Gordon's brother: Clarence Mineo of Riverside CA; and his aunt: Fran McClouth of Warren, MI.

Funeral services will be held 2:30pm Wednesday, September 6, 2006, at Rest Haven Funeral Home-Rockwall Chapel with Msgr. Robert Coerver officiating. Interment will follow in Rest Haven Memorial Park.

The family will receive friends from 6:00 to 8:00pm Tuesday at the funeral home. For more information please visit www.resthavenfuneral.com Rest Haven Rockwall Chapel 972-771-8641

Funeral Homes - Cemetery - Crematory - Florist Owned by the Cain Family

OB6 Obituaries, Notices
Published in the Dallas Morning News on 9/5/2006.
Guest Book • Funeral home info • Flowers • Gift Shop • Charities

Sorry, the above were links in the paper. Here's the Guest book Link

http://www.legacy.com/dallasmorningnews/GB/GuestbookView.aspx?PersonId=19130543

This is sad news indeed. The boat that Gordons boat hit was owned by a guy that lives close to where I work I had seen the boat out on Old Hickory Lake a few times. His wife was killed in the accident and He is still in the hospital. He had taken his boat out to particpate in the poker run.

I first heard the news on the radio on Tuesday morning on my way back from Indy and almost drove off the highway. I'm happy to say that Gordon and Ann were friends of mine. I am both stunned and saddend to hear this horrible news. The Mineo's were some of the kindest most down to earth people I've ever met. From time to time Ann would send me shirts and stuff and I'm glad I've got my "Flash Gordon Racing" team jacket. I remember the last time I spoke with Gordon and he was telling me how much fun he was having with the boat. He told me the next time I'm down his way, he'd take me out on the boat and show me what a really cool ride is all about.

R.I.P. Gordon & Ann

Dave

This is my Flash Gordon story. I meet Flash back in the early 90's when he was still racing his funny car and I talked to him in his pits this particular day at Houston for about 30 minutes. He was really nice and told me his goal for the weekend was to "not burn her up again." Well the next day I was sitting in the stands with my grandpa when he came up to run. There were a couple of guys behind us that I had been telling what was going to happen and so far I had been right.

So here comes Flash, and the guy behind us says, "Thats a pretty car." I told him, "Wait a minute and it will be on fire."
The guy says, "I got a $20 that says he doesnt catch on fire" So I took that bet and sure enough, as soon as Flash got right in front of us, KABOOM!
He burnt it up pretty good too. After qualifying I went over to Flash's trailer and I handed him the twenty the guy had given me, and said "I felt guilty keeping this b/c I bet a guy in the stands $20 you'd catch on fire and now I just dont feel right keeping the $20."

Well Flash started laughing and said, "Son, you keep betting on me and Bazemore catching on fire and you'll be a rich man someday." And then he handed me my twenty back. RIP FLASH.

This is my Flash Gordon story. I meet Flash back in the early 90's when he was still racing his funny car and I talked to him in his pits this particular day at Houston for about 30 minutes. He was really nice and told me his goal for the weekend was to "not burn her up again." Well the next day I was sitting in the stands with my grandpa when he came up to run. There were a couple of guys behind us that I had been telling what was going to happen and so far I had been right.

So here comes Flash, and the guy behind us says, "Thats a pretty car." I told him, "Wait a minute and it will be on fire."
The guy says, "I got a $20 that says he doesnt catch on fire" So I took that bet and sure enough, as soon as Flash got right in front of us, KABOOM!
He burnt it up pretty good too. After qualifying I went over to Flash's trailer and I handed him the twenty the guy had given me, and said "I felt guilty keeping this b/c I bet a guy in the stands $20 you'd catch on fire and now I just dont feel right keeping the $20."

Well Flash started laughing and said, "Son, you keep betting on me and Bazemore catching on fire and you'll be a rich man someday." And then he handed me my twenty back. RIP FLASH.

Good story, thanks.
Reminds me of this photo:
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i2/percboy555/fg.jpg
If I had to guess, I`d say you bought one of Flash`s T-Shirts with the $20 :)

A little update...

I heard on the news this morning that investigators believe that the 2 boats were travelling at about 100 mph at the time of the accident and that there was no sign of alcohol being involved. The lone survivor says he has no recollection of the crash.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back