First Pair TF Fire Up commander (1 Viewer)

But since Denver is the Mopar event, they'll probably use Garlits again.

How about one of the greatest Mopar pro-stock drivers of the modern era (last 25 years), Alderman? I know I will get some heat for this because of the "break in", but Alderman was one of the best drivers during his time.

For Denver I would vote Amato. If I am correct, he still holds the track records for 1/4 mile ET and Speed, and didn't he set them both in 1999? That's very impressive "up here", since the cars kept/keep getting faster and faster as the years progress, and nobody was able to hit his marks (again I might be wrong on this considering recent years....)

.....If I am correct, he still holds the track records for 1/4 mile ET and Speed, and didn't he set them both in 1999? That's very impressive "up here", since the cars kept/keep getting faster and faster as the years progress, and nobody was able to hit his marks (again I might be wrong on this considering recent years....)

paul s., a ruling please.....

I second that, but Reading is her Home track! Anyone think Gene Snow might do Ennis?:p

Or rather do someone at Ennis???

Reading may be her home track, but their days at Englishtown are drag racing legacy. Jungle's final round wheelie to half track under full power at the REAL Summernat's is the stuff of legend, not to mention the Wednesday night match races and Sunday,Sunday, SUNDAY! Jungle drew more folks to the track with his persona and a few radio ads than 90% of the folks today could do with tv, the Web and newspaper...

Reading may be her home track, but their days at Englishtown are drag racing legacy. Jungle's final round wheelie to half track under full power at the REAL Summernat's is the stuff of legend, not to mention the Wednesday night match races and Sunday,Sunday, SUNDAY! Jungle drew more folks to the track with his persona and a few radio ads than 90% of the folks today could do with tv, the Web and newspaper...

I remember he match raced Shirley Muldowney once;

http://www.dragracingimagery.com/sound\Track14.mp3

Vintage!

How about one of the greatest Mopar pro-stock drivers of the modern era (last 25 years), Alderman? I know I will get some heat for this because of the "break in", but Alderman was one of the best drivers during his time.

Given that it appears NHRA has a small group of legends they're picking from, I would be surprised if Alderman was even on their short list.

paul s., a ruling please.....

Half correct. I'll throw my 2 cents in. ;)

That day marks the only time I can remember they ran 3 sessions in one day becasue of weather. Amato hazed the tires through the middle and shut off on his 2 prior runs and was towards the bottom of the sheet I think.

So, when most would back it down to get in the show, the Prock Rocket stomps out a 4.58 @ 318 :eek: :D And I think it put a hole out about 1000'. To run a 4.5 ANYWHERE was a big number back then, let alone do it in Denver.

Funny thing is, They went to Seattle the next week which is way closer to sea level, and his #1 run there was another 4.58.

The ET record still stands. Someone (Fuller?)went 319 or 320 there just before they made the track 1000' and took the MPH away.

One side note. I was in St. Louis just before the Denver race and I think Joe lost in the semi final. Afterwards I was back around the trailer or at Procks bus and he told me they were repaving the track in Denver and he thought he could run a 4.5 something on the hill. He said they ran 4.70's up there before and the thing spun from the 330 to the lights and that if it hooked up on the new surface he could do it. Well, he did it. :cool:

Most of you won't remember him but Davey Babler from Minn. raced everything and everywhere he could, including land speed cars, fuel altereds top fuel and funny cars. Won a few national events in the 60s and set some LSRs. Drove his car, Hoovers car and everything else he could. He would be a great starter ar Braninerd. Perhaps you might remember him with the California Woody car. I heard a few months ago his son has taken over his muffler business in Minn.

My Guesses

Bristol - ?
Norwalk - Connie Kalitta
Chicago - Don Schumacher or the Greek
Denver - ?
Sonoma - Frank Bradley
Seattle - Pat Austin
Brainerd - Tom Hoover
Indy - Big Daddy (Bob Glidden deserves it though)
Charlotte - Rickie Smith
Dallas - Eddie Hill or Raymond Beadle
Reading - Joe Amato
Phoenix - ?
Las Vegas - Mongoose & Snake
Pomona - Tommy Ivo

I was thinking that Ed "the Ace" would be the one for Seattle. If not him then it would have to be Gary Beck.

I say, Showtime @ MN
Da Grump or Jungle Pam @ E town
Cowboy or Skuza @ Norwalk
Glidden @ Indy
4 Father @ Dallas

Remember the purpose of this, its supposed to be a legend of NHRA. So I would expect;

Tom Hoover or WJ @ Brainerd
Eddie & Ercie Hill @ Dallas
Snake or Mongoose, maybe both @ The Finals

Not to take anything away from Garlits but why not do a different figure in history at each track?

I agree Nick. Here are a few that would make a little more sense geographically...........

Topeka - Raymond Beadle
Englishtown - Jungle Pam
Bristol - Bill Jenkins
Norwalk - Connie Kalitta
Chicago - The Greek
Bandimere - Dale Armstrong
Infineon - Ed McCulloch
Seattle - Pat Austin
Brainard - Tom Hoover
Indy - Bob Glidden
Charlotte - Darrell Gwynn
Ennis - Eddie Hill