Fire Burnouts (1 Viewer)

Gone Dead Train

Nitro Member
Today's DRAGSTER Insider, Phil's article is fire burnouts.
For the veteran drag racing fan's on Nitromater. When was the last time you saw a fire burnout?

Me, it was the 1980 AHRA World Finals at Spokane. None other than the "The Greek" did a fantastic
fire burnout that Saturday night. Only thing I remember in recent time is 2008, Mitch King in his AA/FA
at North Star Dragway in Denton, Texas, any mater's there? Saw a few at Seattle, early to mid 70s.

Last edited:
cordova world series sometime in mid-late 70's......tommy ivo's rod shop dodge funny car.
pretty sure only one i've ever seen.....just remember seeing it as a kid.

They are a popular feature of Santa Pod's chief historic event, Dragstalgia, every July. This was 2019.

1697823245612.jpeg

The Rat Trap did a fire burnout at the IHRA national event at Cordova in 2015 or 2016. It was almost a disaster when poor Dave Hough (RIP) tripped walking away from the car after dropping the match to ignite the gasoline puddle. Luckily he got his out of the way before his pant leg caught on fire, but it was close.

Back in the 70's, we were running TF and were on the VHT program for header paint, sprays, additives, and traction compounds.

In those days most everyone had their own special "Secret" compound for traction compounds, as you supplied your onw to pour in front of your tires before doing the burnout.

We were going to run at the WinterNations at Pomona and VHT gave my partner, Bill Butters, a gallon of "Test Compound" to try during qualifying.

Our driver, Fred Farndon, did his regular routine and stopped the TF'er behind the starting line, so I could pour the liquid right in front of the slicks before he did his burnout.

I stepped back and he hit the throttle and a wall of fire blew up right in front of me!!! It didn't burn long and was quickly extinguished by the starting line crew.

We ran out to push Fred back and were told to shut off the engine and get off of his starting line by Buster. Boy, was he mad!

A couple of the NHRA Tech. guys came back to our pits and took the rest of the VHT bottle away and told us to NEVER do that again.

We were able to qualify in the next session without a problem and continued to use the "standard" VHT compound for as long as that was allowed.

Sadly, we never did get any pictures, as we were not a Top Eight performer and it was the first TF session.

Back in the 70's, we were running TF and were on the VHT program for header paint, sprays, additives, and traction compounds.

In those days most everyone had their own special "Secret" compound for traction compounds, as you supplied your onw to pour in front of your tires before doing the burnout.

We were going to run at the WinterNations at Pomona and VHT gave my partner, Bill Butters, a gallon of "Test Compound" to try during qualifying.

Our driver, Fred Farndon, did his regular routine and stopped the TF'er behind the starting line, so I could pour the liquid right in front of the slicks before he did his burnout.

I stepped back and he hit the throttle and a wall of fire blew up right in front of me!!! It didn't burn long and was quickly extinguished by the starting line crew.

We ran out to push Fred back and were told to shut off the engine and get off of his starting line by Buster. Boy, was he mad!

A couple of the NHRA Tech. guys came back to our pits and took the rest of the VHT bottle away and told us to NEVER do that again.

We were able to qualify in the next session without a problem and continued to use the "standard" VHT compound for as long as that was allowed.

Sadly, we never did get any pictures, as we were not a Top Eight performer and it was the first TF session.
Dave, back in the early 70s in Drag Racing USA magazine a company called Newport Productions sold drag racing t-shirts,
posters ect. I believe Gary Densford owned it. You could send a $1.00 plus .50 cents for shipping and they would send you
a dozen photos, B&W and sometimes a color photo. You never new what you we're going to get. I drove my mom crazy
sending away for photos (at least $20.00 in a year, mowing the lawn didn't pay that good) The picture below, the only info
on the back says Fred Farndon, is this the AA/FD of Butters & Gerard with Fred in the seat. Could this be Dave Hage?

1697832439065.png

Last edited:
The Rat Trap did a fire burnout at the IHRA national event at Cordova in 2015 or 2016. It was almost a disaster when poor Dave Hough (RIP) tripped walking away from the car after dropping the match to ignite the gasoline puddle. Luckily he got his out of the way before his pant leg caught on fire, but it was close.
Mike, I was with Rat Trap when that happened. Yes it could have been disastrous.

I haven't seen a fire burnout since 1994 when the late Ron Fassel did one during an event at Firebird.... uh I mean Radford Raceway.

Dave, back in the early 70s in Drag Racing USA magazine a company called Newport Productions sold drag racing t-shirts,
posters ect. I believe Gary Densford owned it. You could send a $1.00 plus .50 cents for shipping and they would send you
a dozen photos, B&W and sometimes a color photo. You never new what you we're going to get. I drove my mom crazy
sending away for photos (at least $20.00 in a year, mowing the lawn didn't pay that good) The picture below, the only info
on the back says Fred Farndon, is this the AA/FD of Butters & Gerard with Fred in the seat. Could this be Dave Hage?

View attachment 13748

Dave Hage lived two houses down from Bill Butters and learned to drive in our second TF - AA/FMR. He was with us through our third TF'er and went on to drive successfully for other teams.

Fred Farndon took over a couple of short time after trying a couple of other drivers and was an important part of getting the Utica Tool Company sponsorship and acquiring a SPE dragster. He drove for a couple of years and then stated his own team.

Mike Clancy was the last regular driver for us.

We finally had to give up TF, as the new rear engine cars with 426 Hemis were dominating the class and it was just too expensive to continue for two not quite middle class guys.

We had Kenny Cox build us a new rear engined Comp. Eliminator B?ED after selling all of the TF stuff to two young guys in Indiana.

Attachments

• Photo 51 s.jpg
    Photo 51 s.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 22
View attachment 13750
Saw Arley a few times in the 70s and early 80s. Never saw him do a fire burnout, but more
times than not, he was on fire. Arley for sure was the definition of a 'low buck fuel racer'
Gotta give Arley credit, he tried!
This is NOT a fire burn out, this is a launch. for some reason I raced Arley during qualifying many times with the Circuit Breaker top fuel car. if he red lighted and when I would pass him I would get as low in the seat as i could to duck parts. when I started him I would get as far back on the starting line as my cord would allow. Arley was a postal letter career he sprayed painted one leg of his white fire suit red and the other blue. he was band from running national events a few times to save on grease sweep.
Larry Sutton---Lions starter and racer (RET.) 🤠
PS; Yes he and his partner Jay Roach (RIP) did tri.

Last edited:
This is NOT a fire burn out, this is a launch. for some reason I raced Arley during qualifying many times with the Circuit Breaker top fuel car. if he red lighted and when I would pass him I would get as low in the seat as i could to duck parts. when I started him I would get as far back on the starting line as my cord would allow. Arley was a postal letter career he sprayed painted one leg of his white fire suit red and the other blue. he was band from running national events a few times to save on grease sweep.
Larry Sutton---Lions starter and racer (RET.)
PS; Yes he and his partner Jay Roach (RIP) did tri.
YES, I know this not a fire burnout. Arley puking on the starting line, at Pomona.

BTW: Dave Gerard I learned how to get really low in the seat driving for you a Bill Butters.🔥 and WELL oiled.
🤣
Larry Sutton🤠
PS; Jim Irvin I knew you were not thinking it was a fire burn out

Last edited:
We had Kenny Cox build us a new rear engined Comp. Eliminator B?ED after selling all of the TF stuff to two young guys in Indiana.
I remember that B/ED. When I saw it, it was kinda brand new I think. I went on Sat to the old Irwindale. It was raining but I went anyway. Talked with you in the pits & finally helped load the car in the trailer. Good memory.

YES, I know this not a fire burnout. Arley puking on the starting line, at Pomona.
Arley was not really the reason all the carnage happened with that team. Jay Roach was the man behind the machine. Jay was a nice enough guy but he insisted on doing everything in his shop. Jay had a garage in Montecito CA (Upper Santa Barbara). He was determined to do everything himself. I saw Jay weld up blocks and crankshafts laying on the floor of his shop between Bentleys and Jaguars. He could have bought a lot of those parts but wanted to do it all himself. He was a real character and Arley would drive anything Jay built.

BTW: Dave Gerard I learned how to get really low in the seat driving for you a Bill Butters.🔥 and WELL oiled.
🤣
Larry Sutton🤠
PS; Jim Irvin I knew you were not thinking it was a fire burn out
We learned a lot in the early days.

Butters was alway trying to do eleven/tenths on the engine and would tell the rest of the crew "Don't tell Dave!" whn he would make a big change. (VBG)
We really appreciated your help and guidance back in those days.

Fortunately, my current partners in or Top Dragster, Steve Moeller and Walt Whitby, are great guys and we don't play games with the tune up!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back