Favorite Strip-Why? (1 Viewer)

I was at Famoso this past weekend and heard some interesting rumors. Let's hope it keeps it's old school charm going forward.
Please don’t tell us that they are going to move the grandstands back from the track!

For me it's the "new" Tucson Dragway (Formerly Southwestern International Raceway). That was the place where I saw my first drag race at the age of 9 and where I got bit by the nitro bug. That place is full of childhood memories of CIFCA races that usually didn't end until 2AM, wild and unpredictable Fuel Altered Nationals, the PRO Warm-Ups, Super Chevy Shows, etc.

What, no love for my home track Houston Raceway Park? Ha ha. I was basically raised there. I agree, its nothing special other than alot of memories for me. I've been fortunate to visit alot of tracks, big and small growing up in a family that sportsman races.

My favorite track of all time, is probably a track most of yall havent been too. Its Beech Bend Dragway in Bowling Green, KY. Its small but big in presence, and surrounded by cornfields. But I love it.

My favorite big track is Las Vegas bc the scenery is great, its well laid out, plenty of concrete, and I love to gamble! Plus its a race a lot of my friends are always at.

Bristol is probably my 2nd favorite track. Its just gorgeous and who doesnt love Thunder Valley tucked in the all trees.

I havent been to Zmax at Charlotte yet but I've heard good things. Never made it to E-Town. Hope to make Brainerd one day. Indy, Columbus, Phoenix, and Atlanta are hot messes. Plus a ton of smaller tracks I've been too.

Sorry I know this was long.

Justin, Wild Horse in Phoenix really IS hot, especially in the dawg days of summer. Once Shirley Muldowney came to then Firebird in summer & it was 117. She couldn't believe how hot it was. Didn't stop us die hard drag fans from coming to the track to see her. Heh

Richard, I've only been to Houston once, and that track really made a great impression on me. See that Texas flag flying in the breeze....... :)

Justin, Wild Horse in Phoenix really IS hot, especially in the dawg days of summer. Once Shirley Muldowney came to then Firebird in summer & it was 117. She couldn't believe how hot it was. Didn't stop us die hard drag fans from coming to the track to see her. Heh

Richard, I've only been to Houston once, and that track really made a great impression on me. See that Texas flag flying in the breeze....... :)
There's 100+ reasons why we run at night during the summer.

I enjoyed running OCIR and Lions. But my all time favorite has to be Kettlersville, in Ohio. It was to first strip I ran at, when I was 14. At the time, it was a 1/5 mi. track. they used stop watches to record times. I had a 40 Ford Coupe with a 392 elephant with Hilborn stacks. Mine was the only rig that was flat towed. Everyone else, in the car club, drove their rigs. Being only 14, I could not drive there. We had two pickups, that were full of gas cans. We would get there, very early, so we could park our cars under a big tree, near the starting line. In between runs, we would sit and wait for someone to forget to take their car out of reverse and slam into the wall, behind the starting line. Every little burg, around that part of Ohio, had a car club. We'd all meet up at Kettlersville and see who had the bragging rights for the week.
Ted Jones owned it, for awhile, along with a strip around Wapakoneta, until he went to run Bristol.

Sometimes the little tracks made the biggest impressions. San Fernando when I went there in 1961, age 14. Compared to Lions & San Gabriel and tracks like that, Fernando was a small time operation, but they still had AA/FD run there, with names like Don Prudhomme & Tommy Ivo. Ivo was the first name racer I saw in person, driving Ernies Camera Pontiac powered dragster (ran both gas & fuel). Boy did that make an impression on me! You don't forget stuff like that.

I'd have to say State Capitol Dragway in Baton Rouge, LA. We had some of the best seats in the house. They had a VIP section facing down the track. We were in row 5, seats 4-5. You could literally spit on the cars in the left lane as they were being fired up. It was there we attended our first National Events from 1984-1990.

I'd have to say State Capitol Dragway in Baton Rouge, LA. We had some of the best seats in the house. They had a VIP section facing down the track. We were in row 5, seats 4-5. You could literally spit on the cars in the left lane as they were being fired up. It was there we attended our first National Events from 1984-1990.
State Capitol, Southland and Laplace dragway are my favorite back when I first started going to the races. I like Houston Raceway Park because every year me and about 15 friends go to the national event in April. No Problem and State Capitol are the tracks I go to most now since they are both about 30 miles from my house.

Mason County/Mid State Dragway in Central Illinois for sentimental reasons. (First race/time driving/win).
Joliet for the bigger tracks.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back