Fast News inc and National Dragster (1 Viewer)

PJ

Staff Member
Staff member
Administrator
Nitro Member
I just read the article about them in ND. Does anybody know how to get in contact with them? Stats and racing sounds like a perfect job. I tried to google and yahoo them but didn't come up with anything. Thanks

It'd be a good fit for you in some ways PJ. You're a computer and techie geek. But I don't know about the time away from family. Sounds more like a grind than a dream part time job, to me at least. And like the article said, it's not just national events for NHRA. It's that PLUS IHRA, and LODRS events too. That said, I sure do appreciate the guys that do this. I still say nothing on the internet is more fun than following the Friday night 2nd session of Pro Stock qualifying. Call it the Bumping Bloodbath. It's the most brutal qualifying session in all of drag racing. Anyone else have any thoughts?

Last edited:
... I still say nothing on the internet is more fun than following the Friday night 2nd session of Pro Stock qualifying. Call it the Bumping Bloodbath. It's the most brutal qualifying session in all of drag racing. Anyone else have any thoughts?

Uh, yeah. You pretty much hit the nail on the head for why I do it...:D

I just read the article about them in ND. Does anybody know how to get in contact with them? Stats and racing sounds like a perfect job. I tried to google and yahoo them but didn't come up with anything. Thanks
I'll be interested in seeing what the article says. My copy of the magazine usually doesn't arrive until the Tuesday after the cover date, so I'll have to wait a few days.

One thing I can tell you about this kind of work -- if you're married, you need to be absolutely sure your spouse knows what the job requires, and they must be comfortable with it. I know of three divorces that were a direct result of a schedule that can be difficult. Not only can your assignment schedule be thick (only home Tuesdays and Wednesdays, three weeks a month, for 6 months), but as weather causes rescheduling of events, your schedule changes too. A example for me from last year; what was supposed to be 6 events over an 11 week time frame turned into 10 events in 11 weeks. That could be hard on a relationship. I'm single, so that aspect of the job doesn't come into play.

Living out of a suitcase isn't for everyone. I happen to enjoy traveling, and I love my job. I've been doing this long enough that it all seems normal to me. ;)

PM me if there's anything specific you'd like to know.

Bob :)

My ND won't get here till next week, guess I'll have to pick one up @ G'ville tomorrow to read the article.

That said, 95% of you here on the 'Mater would be truly amazed at the dedication and time that are put in by the Fast News staff. The hours are long but living the excitement of the sport as it happens and translating it to the written word isn't as easy as it seems.
Having watched the the growth from the very beginning (RIP Ed), it is amazing how far they've come, and how much we benefit from it.
Data that used to be guarded like Fort Knox is now shared and is even now streamlined in it's feed to the net, however, it's still up to those on site to gather the needed corrections to the data base for that particular event. And at the first few events of the season it is even more labor intensive with new cars, drivers in different class's and drivers with new numbers.
Rick, Larry, DJ, Bob, Dan and everyone else DESERVE far more credit for what they do, than what they get.
Think you got the stuff? Might want to double check,,,,, But if you do, it's a great bunch to work with.

Unk

Yeh, what Bob Orme said! I'm lucky enough that my wife understands my passion for the sport, even though it's not shared. I've been married for 23 years and I sometimes think she LIKES having me gone all those weekends. I just got over a stretch that sent me to Phoenix for TnT, Pomona for the Winters, Phoenix for CSK, Phoenix for Div-7 AND Bakersfield last weekend for The March Meet. Living out of a suitcase is NOT for everyone and it can get old in a hurry! Sure get to see lots of racing and also I keep trying for fresh reports. How many times and how many different ways can YOU say smoke the tires in the same nitro session?:D

Oh, and I've been out of a real job for awhile and that wife I mentioned...likes money as well. She did go so far as to say it was nice having her 'HOUSE BOY' home this weekend!

Of course don't forget the weekends that you travel and ALL you see is the airport, the gas station, and the racetrack.

It's not an easy life, this circus we are involved with, it's fun but the reality of it is that it's a lot of work getting there, being there, and getting home. Plus the long list of honey do's that are there when you finally get home. It can be a real burden on your family and you might get tired of telling your friends at home "I'm sorry, but I'll be out of town that weekend"

You make great friends though. I've met racers, announcers and people from every walk, and become friends with alot of them. It's great when you wind up at the same race and get to hang out with them. Even if it's just to get a hug and say hello.

Say Unk, sorry I missed you in Chandler!

I've had the pleasure of being next to the press room @ Atlanta and I could see the guys who report the results doing their thing. They sit there hours on end and I really understand it's a job,not a glory thing.I met Larry and Bob during a rain delay @ Atlanta and had a chance to talk to them. They're really nice guys who enjoy what they do and if it wasn't for them,I don't know how we could get the results as fast as we do. I guess the Castrol GTX Hot Line would still be up and running.:D The article says they are also responsible for the audiocast,well my oh my,now we know who to yell @ when it's not working.;) A question for Larry or one of the other guys,could it be possible to post not only the qualifing numbers but the incrementals as well? The article says that the guys are tied into the timing system and I thought this would be a possibility.:)

Mike,

We do put incrementals in for runs that warrant doing so, but it's a judgement call by the reporter as to whether they add to the story. Putting them in for every run would quickly create an information overload situation and runs where the incrementals do add to the story would get lost in the clutter.

- Larry

I have to give credit to the two "Main Men" in FastNews: Rick Green and Larry Sullivan. BTW: All of the statistical detail you see in the first rounds of Nation Events comes from Bob Frey [also, one funny guy!]

Their level of effort and dedication to keep all of the reporters from bashing our laptops and yelling at the moon [...no wait, that's just me :D ].Actually they have brought a lot of maturity and professionality to the process and it gets getter each year.

Now, if you enjoy what you read, TELL Summit Racing!! Thanks to them we get to go to the races and participate in our own way in this great sport.

Every weekend has it's own surprises, as we go from track to track and pray that all of the track's hardware and software "toys" play nice together. If you see a mistake or error, let us know. We get our information from the track folks entering your information off of your tech cards, so give all of us a break and PRINT CLEARLY. OK, enough of my rant, back to your regularly schedule program... Once again, THANKS RICK & LARRY!

Hey Unk, thanks for remembering "Big Ed", because without his vision and dedication there would not even be a FastNews Network. Also, a tip of the hat to Larry and Rick, and all the other reporters, they have done a great job following in Ed's footsteps.
Some fans just don't see, or appreciate, how much effort goes into getting the results out in a timely fashion. Ya gotta love what you do, because the job is long on hours and short on pay, and the workplace is not very accommodating. Kudos to all the FastNews guys!

Pat

Mike,

We do put incrementals in for runs that warrant doing so, but it's a judgement call by the reporter as to whether they add to the story. Putting them in for every run would quickly create an information overload situation and runs where the incrementals do add to the story would get lost in the clutter.

- Larry

Larry,I know it would be tough putting the incrementals in with the notes for each run. I was thinking beings NHRA puts out the sheet with the incrementals,it would be just a matter of posting it. I'm not trying create more work for you either,just trying to get all the info I can for this P/S addict.:D

Not entirely on topic, but I'd also like to give my thanks to all of you that bring us the results of the racing action. For someone like me stuck on a rock in the middle of the pacific, it's something I check on religiously on race weekends. I can definitely remember the days when I became an NHRA member just because ND was the fastest way to get the race results. Now we get them in minutes.

Not just the pros but I also love the sportsman results. These days I see some of the most incredible packages put together in S & SS runs. And the super classes have become a total war with packages inside 0.01 LOSING. It's incredible to see the comp guys shut off and still go 60 under and throw in a 40 from a TAFC and a teen from an AFD and there's something for everyone!

And I know what Mike is talking about when it comes to incrementals. I once found the incremental sheet of P/S at Joliet after the race and I still have it!

You guys truly keep me connected so THANK YOU!

What an interesting thread! Definitely gave me insight and appreciation for a side of drag racing I knew very little about. Thanks.

Keep up the good work.

Larry,I know it would be tough putting the incrementals in with the notes for each run. I was thinking beings NHRA puts out the sheet with the incrementals,it would be just a matter of posting it. I'm not trying create more work for you either,just trying to get all the info I can for this P/S addict.:D
One of the wonderful things that has been a result of our having the ability to tie into the track timing system is, sometimes the track printers jam, and they don't have copy of a run or two. We have them on our screens and in our run logs.

We could manually place incrementals into every pair in the notes posts, but as Larry said, it often wouldn't be useful information.

The marriage of the guys there to report the events with the guys running the events has proved to be beneficial to us all. Early on, we were sometimes viewed as kind of in the way. We wanted it all, and the tracks and sanctioning bodies were used to print media types who had one deadline a day to meet. Our deadlines are often the next burnout. That will keep you busy! Having a working relationship with the sanctioning bodies, the divisions, THE ANNOUNCERS and the tracks has made this job a little easier to do over the years. :)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back