'Fast Jack'... that name sure fits!!! (1 Viewer)

Whit probably was right, but that doesn't mean he should have said it. I like Whit a lot, in fact he was my favorite funny car driver out there, but that comment sounded a little like sour grapes to me.

Aaron, those were my thoughts too. Sometimes Whit just forgets to keep thoughts to himself, and I hate it when he does stuff like that as people are just waiting to hang him all the time. I know he had to feel a little resentful that he wasn't the one in the Matco car yesterday. How could you not? As far as I'm concerned, Matco should have taken their name off the car too if Whit was no longer driving. I hate politics and funny business like this stuff. I don't begrudge Jack Beckman at all though, and I congratulate him on his incredible success in such a short time, as he is obviously a talented racer if he could pick up the skill to get that 333 Mph funny car down the track and be in two finals out of 6 races. Kudos to Todd Okuhara and the whole Matco team for all their hard work too.

Registered member said:
Yeah, I think they had a bigtime gift that run...the guys, Todd and Phil are doing an outstanding job, and honestly Jack is coming around, I mean that right there was obviously a pretty obvious error on his part, but it's a great, great team, and I want to see them do well, so I'm glad the win light came on.

Whit probably was right, but that doesn't mean he should have said it. I like Whit a lot, in fact he was my favorite funny car driver out there, but that comment sounded a little like sour grapes to me.
Everything Bazemore sez is sour grapes to most people. Personally I like him and he's not a cookie cutter driver during his interviews.

Ok heres the deal Whit got screwed over..He took a pot shot at Jack and his driving abilities.Guess there even.Jack stole whits ride Won a race in it and set both ends of the national record. Jack could prolly give a rats ass about whits comments..lol
The credit for this car's success is Todd Okuhara. The car has been stepping up since he started on it and he and the crew are the main reason for it running like it does. Fast Jack is just the recipient of the progress. And is "Jack stole Whit's ride" just PC for Baze getting fired cause that's surely what happened.

Congrats to Fast Jack, Todd, and the Guys... a win, a r/u, both ends of the national record in two weeks... That's Stout!

And Congrats Jenna, Talked to Jack at Richmond... you married a Fine Gentleman :)

Todd made a backhanded 'compliment' of Jack at Vegas. Whit did it last weekend. They obviously dont' like what went down, and that's their chance to express it, so they did.
Maybe you think Whit should be Mr . Nice Guy about this, but think about this all of you lilly white customers out there. Some guy takes your job, you gonna smile about it? bull___.
you'd be doing just what Whit did.
jack runs a record et and loses and everyone's going on about how great he is. if whit had lost on a holeshot while running the quickest et ever, all we'd be reading about is how bad he sucks.

we'll never know what would have happened if Whit had been in that car sunday.

I know how some of you feel I winced when Whit said that too.

but as Steve Martin once said, 'comedy is not pretty'

:D

I can`t begin to count the number of times I heard the uninformed sitting all around us on Fri Sat and Sun talking about how great Whit and that MATCO FC were running...believe me I did my best to inform every one of them that it was Fast Jack Beckman in that rocketship. Congrats to Jack, he put on a helluva show last weekend!

Last edited:
Jack Beckman interview

I'm thrilled to see how well Beckman is doing. He's a class act and a No Whining kinda guy.

Thanks to a tip from photographer Les Welch when I was covering the Texas race this fall, I lucked into an interview with Jack when no one had ever really heard of him, including me.

Just goes to show, never turn up noses at a "nobody." It's been great fun to watch his success since then.

That's me, the Black Knight

Nope, no relation to Nate Scarborough, Joe Scarborough or the Scarborough Renaissance Faire, but I'm sure I'd look great in a metal helmet and chain mail. With a really big broadsword. :)

Perhaps Jack Beckman will be staying in a Funny Car next year. I just found this article on CompPlus about Don Schumacher soon making a decision regarding Fast Jack's future and plans for next year.

"Expect a decision within the next ten days from Don Schumacher as to whether he will keep Jack Beckman in his record-setting Funny Car or move him to Top Fuel. Sources indicate that Schumacher is seriously torn as to which direction to go. We are hearing the largest sticking point is that Schumacher is not keen on taking Beckman away from a crew that is performing really well, not to mention the fact the team just set the world record."

CLICK HERE FOR THE DON SCHUMACHER DECISION LINK - COMPPLUS

This "Fast Jack" section has me puzzled. All of a sudden Beckman is a hero for the national e.t./speed record?
Heck you could of put a monkey in that car and run 4.70's all weekend.
And for anyone connected to the inside dealings of that camp will tell you that the shortblock combo is the old combo that Lee Beard set-up and Todd fined tuned. Beard knows his stuff and most tuners who inherit Beards combo break it down and make a blueprint for the future.
Beard builds an awesome short-block combo and a safe fuel system for anyone to have a solid tuning point.
I know that the Matco team does not like their current situation and would love to have Whit back. Whit is a fun guy to hang out w/ and is not has wound tight as the current driver.
Whit got burned but not really.....Ever seen the empty pockets of David Power?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back