Ever See Roger Hardcastle's "Stinger 2" (1 Viewer)

TopFuel@Lions

Nitro Member
Did ya ever get a chance to see this unique and wild machine, Roger Hardcastle's Stinger 2 nitro gulping Astra. Most of the time piloted by Joe Lacosta maybe running a reported 30 to 50% pineapple juice, this cool ride put some fear into the emerging S/XS teams.

TopFuel@Lions

Don't think I ever saw the car in person (probably cuz I was in Air Force at the time), but I know about it. Also the rear engine 'funny car" that ran about then - was a special body & maybe Connie Swingle drove it? The Pirhana I think it was called.

Last edited:

The Astra J5 started in 63 as a A/MSP classed car of that year on gas then switched to the pineapple juice. My favorite all around supercharged driver, Gary Southern set a CC/FD national record with this thing at 8.65 at a booming speed for the time at 185 in 1966. Once again, the S/XS community cried a major river and the car was not allowed to run the early funny car shows. Great looking ride.

TopFuel@Lions

I know that AMT made a model of the Piranha; not sure about the Stinger. The Stinger would make a great Pro Mod today.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back