ENOUGH "A to B" !!!! (1 Viewer)

Everybody knows that Doug isn’t his most comfortable in front of the camera, not everyone is. I don’t think it needed to be said, that’s just Doug. But he can certainly wheel a racecar!!

“Beware the quiet man. For while others speak, he watched. And while others act, he plans. And when they finally rest… he strikes.”
so doug is now within striking distance of the championship. IF he wins it does he -- A) give his usual unexciting speech about how he wants to "thank connie and all the fellers who work on the car "reaction or B) does he after all the years of runner ups and the crushing blow of THE RUN -- FINALLY explode with joy, relief and sheer happiness. jumping around like a kid bouncing off the walls???? the betting pool can start now......

so doug is now within striking distance of the championship. IF he wins it does he -- A) give his usual unexciting speech about how he wants to "thank connie and all the fellers who work on the car "reaction or B) does he after all the years of runner ups and the crushing blow of THE RUN -- FINALLY explode with joy, relief and sheer happiness. jumping around like a kid bouncing off the walls???? the betting pool can start now......
How about none of the above? I think it will be somewhere in between. I'm pulling for the guy and if he does win the championship, I'm placing a side bet he'll retire.

I remember that Doug mouthed the S word as soon as they put the camera on him when Tony Shoe won the race.... sorry.... “The Run”

That was a sham.

Tony ignored starter Rick Stewart's signal to shut off in qualifying when he was staging the car. But he made the run anyway. Any other person would have, and should have, been tossed from the event. Tony goes on to win the event and the championship.

Not NHRA's finest day.....

That was a sham.

Tony ignored starter Rick Stewart's signal to shut off in qualifying when he was staging the car. But he made the run anyway. Any other person would have, and should have, been tossed from the event. Tony goes on to win the event and the championship.

He got fined pretty stiff.... $ 20,000

That was a sham.

Al,

Can you give me an example of a time when someone was tossed from the event for the same infraction? That run which the car didn't go 5 feet didn't have anything to do with the Championship as in where he qualified. And it would have been disallowed if he had made a good run. As was pointed out he was fined heavily. But I'm curious why you think he should have been DQed from the event?

Alan

I would take that bet, I think he enjoys it too much. And, he's not old, nor does he have to chase money every year.
I bring this retirement thing up because a couple of years ago, he said he was thinking it because he wanted to spend more with the family. Ever since then, I had a feeling he was hanging in there to get a championship and then pull the trigger.

I think if he wins he should ride his wheel back to the starting line ( 'B to A' ) and join the mosh-pit !!!
that party could last for days 🥴 o_O 🏁🏁

I think if he wins he should ride his wheel back to the starting line ( 'B to A' ) and join the mosh-pit !!!
that party could last for days 🥴 o_O 🏁🏁

I may wince when they interview Dougie, but I would say that the thought of him under the dog pile with 4 teams of crewmembers on top of him makes me shiver 🤕

Al, Can you give me an example of a time when someone was tossed from the event for the same infraction? That run which the car didn't go 5 feet didn't have anything to do with the Championship as in where he qualified. And it would have been disallowed if he had made a good run. As was pointed out he was fined heavily. But I'm curious why you think he should have been DQed from the event?

Alan

'Morning, Alan.

Honestly, the closest I can come was an instance I personally witnessed at the Winter Nationals years ago. A Div. 7 Top Fuel dragster waved off Buster Couch's shut off signal for an oil leak and moved in to stage. Buster calmly put the box down, picked up a fire extinguisher and emptied it into the injector until the engine quit! And when the guy got out of the car, he was told in a loud voice to remove himself from the premises. He did.

The rules violation in Tony's case was just as blatant. The fact that Tony was fined rather substantially is a non issue.....he should have been fined.

As for being DQ'd from the event, we could start with the NHRA rule book, Section 1, pg 4

1.3.1 Participant Conduct
"Any participant who, in the sole and absolute judgment of NHRA (1) verbally or physically threatens another person; (2) uses vulgar or derogatory
language; (3) engages in unsportsmanlike conduct; (4) engages in conduct detrimental to the sport of racing; (5) otherwise creates a condition or circumstance that is unsafe, unfair, or out of order; (6) is not honest and truthful in his or her dealings with NHRA, including without limitation making a false statement or creating, submitting or using a false writing or document; or (7) otherwise violates any NHRA rule, regulation or agreement, shall have violated this rule regarding participant conduct. Any participant who NHRA believes to have a conflict of interest that does or may improperly affect fair competition shall be disqualified from participating to the extent necessary to avoid such conflict of interest. The scope of such a disqualification shall be determined in the sole and absolute discretion of NHRA."

Without question, Tony violated #3 and #5. And, as it's written, the NHRA has complete discretion as to the extent of any actions. In this case, they chose to back the racer and undermine the authority of the starter. That the starter lost control of the starting line is a separate issue.

Things happen and I'm sure all involved would do things differently if they could. But the facts are that for many, Tony's 2006 championship will always have an asterisk by it.

Just my 2 cents from the Sportsman ranks. :) -Al

I respect your opinion, but disagree.
Buster throwing a guy out more than 30 years ago is a completely different situation.

Tony disobeyed the starter's instructions and was fined for it. The run should have been disqualified and was. In my opinion he didn't commit an offence that should have disqualified him from the event.

Alan

Honestly, the closest I can come was an instance I personally witnessed at the Winter Nationals years ago. A Div. 7 Top Fuel dragster waved off Buster Couch's shut off signal for an oil leak and moved in to stage. Buster calmly put the box down, picked up a fire extinguisher and emptied it into the injector until the engine quit! And when the guy got out of the car, he was told in a loud voice to remove himself from the premises. He did.

I would never, under any circumstances suggest that the starter's authority should EVER be undermined, but I would also say that if this situation went down as you said, that's a time where 2 fools met, in my opinion. If a driver of a Top Fuel car is of the mindset that he or she is going to make a run regardless of the starter's instruction, the last thing I would do is put myself in harm's way by putting something into the injector, very likely at a position that is out of sight of the driver in this case. To me, if they'll ignore my instruction, there's also a chance they'll drop the hammer after staging the car, regardless of whether or not the tree was fired.

All that said, I also can't help but wonder how the situation with Schumacher would've played out on Buster's starting line. Me thinks it would've been different. MUCH different. Would it have resulted in his DQ from the entire event? Who knows. But I would bet the farm that car wouldn't have staged that day. ;)

Sean D

Ohhhh "The Run" it's why I rooted against Tony after that. I blamed him for the countdown. Sure it's irrational but fandom is not about being rationale :)

I respect your opinion, but disagree. Alan

Hi Alan. No problem, for sure. It's always good to hear others thoughts on things. :)

Was going to look you up at Brainerd this year and say "Hi." I was crewing on a good pals Comp Eliminator car and between changing the rear end, valve spring maintenence, chassis adjustment and servicing the clutch...time got away from me. -Al Nyhus 5468 G/SA

Wow...
• A to B
• Pass
• Run
• Hit
All acceptable and are legitimate drag racing terms.
This thread might be the dumbest thing I've seen on the internet today, but it's early.

Last edited:
I just read this thread from A to B, and really wish I had taken a pass. The OP might want to run before someone tries to hit him.
Did I get them all? :D

I just hope he doesn't watch Street Outlaws as they seem to have picked up on the A to B thing and use it ad nauseam.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back