Egg Custard Pie (1 Viewer)

G'ginna

Nitro Member
Mix together eggs & yolk, sugar(Splenda), salt, and vanilla. Stir well. (mixer, medium 1-2 minutes.)
Temper the eggs mixture. Blend in the scalded milk, very slowly.
Pour custard mixture into piecrust. Sprinkle with nutmeg.
Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a knife inserted near center comes out clean. Cool completely on rack.
*Optional substitute 1 c heavy cream for 1 c milk.
**Add 1 c shredded coconut for coconut custard.

Not burnt. Scalded is more like pasturized, which is why it really isn't necessary. But if you don't scald it, you might want to warm it a little, or bake the pie about 3 minutes longer.

Here is a description I found.

"Many older recipes called for you to scald milk, that is, to bring it nearly to a boil (185°F, 85°C, or more), preferably in a thick-bottomed pan, and stirring actively, to keep a protein skin from forming on the surface and keep the proteins and sugar from sticking to the bottom. Scalding served two purposes, to kill potentially harmful bacteria in the milk, and to destroy enzymes that keep the milk from thickening in recipes. Pasteurization, however, accomplishes both of those goals, and since almost all store-bought milk in Western countries is pasteurized these days, scalding is essentially an unnecessary step."

Sounds tasty :)....might have to try this one next week when I make all of my other pies

I have resolutely stayed away from the food / recipe forum since I don't get to eat but only graze but a quick look says there is gold in thar hills !

And user friendly too !
Thank God for good friends and good food !
I'll scratch that itch by 2 pm today !

Bring me a slice. Since you have mentioned it, I have been thinking about it. yummmm. :)

I held off till about 10:00 this morning after making it right after the cornbread yesterday afternoon.

Yep you got it , I played cook and did the works all by myself.
It came out pretty good but we were short on a few things so I kept it to a small feast.
I usally do deviled eggs with a piece of olive in it but the chickens must have been on strike cause I didn't have enough eggs for everything.
I did a double apple pie and a spice cake.
All from scratch ! [ I scratched my arse ] ! LOL

I am glad you liked it. :) Ok, loved it :D

One other custard that would be easy to make would be pumpkin. The Libby's can recipe is always good, however a couple little tweaks I learned from my mom... go a little scant on the ginger & add 1/4 tsp nutmeg. When making pies you can also add a pinch or two of nutmeg to the crust dough for just that little bit extra. Just remember not to over-handle the dough or it won't stay flakey (the heat from your hands is bad news.)

The urge came upon me again while shopping !
I took a shot at buying stuff for the recipe cause I didn't look beforehand and wallah !
I got everything needed to ascend the heights into Custard Heaven Again .
Yep Custards Last Stand Ain't got $hit IMO compared to my dietary culinary arts !

Other than Drag Racing I have very few Habbits anymore !
However I'm back again for more ! Need another fix !

" Get R Done " Doing another round for some Innocents who don't have a clue .
Won't be long I won't need to look at the recipe !

Another great variation for this recipe is to use egg nogg instead of the milk and only one egg. It is really good @ holiday meals.

Another great variation for this recipe is to use egg nogg instead of the milk and only one egg. It is really good @ holiday meals.

I'll have to try that one when the Holidays come around shortly !
I'm going to do a couple more this morning since I've been appointed cook for today .
Going to put some raisins in along with the coconut , that should be good !
I love Tapioca Pudding with Raisins ! Ding ! Sounds like a plan for tomorrow !

I'll have to try that one when the Holidays come around shortly !
I'm going to do a couple more this morning since I've been appointed cook for today .
Going to put some raisins in along with the coconut , that should be good !
I love Tapioca Pudding with Raisins ! Ding ! Sounds like a plan for tomorrow !

You will love this version
. Sprinkle the top w/cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, or whatever spice is your favorite. I get so many compliments when I make this and it is so simple. Good Luck Larry~~
LLM

Last edited:
Making Beef Stew a cold weather favorite and watching NFL Sunday Ticket so a couple coconut egg custard pies are in order !

I say cold weather cause I'm up in the cold frozen north [ St Paul MN ] !
I shiver in anticipation of falling temps !

Already seen my first flakes of the season ! Need to get back down south where it's still racing season sort of !

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back