EFI in pro stock. (1 Viewer)

I heard a long time ago the real reason is because racers complained that allowing people to use EFI makes it easier to cheat. Don't know exactly how true that really is....

I'd tend to believe this over most other things. With carbs and a race supplied ignition box, NHRA can pretty much control what's in the cars and how they're tuned. With EFI, the ECU controls basically EVERYTHING. So I think they're coming up with a way to police it or supply stripped down ECU's with only the necessary internals. Maybe my wording isn't 100% right, but you get the gist. The other reason that could be high on the list is that they are waiting for one of the manufacturers to become the "official" EFI of NHRA(write big $ checks to them)

Looks like this Extreme Pro Stock has a Hood Scoop and it has EFI

97c7bfad-11d3-1d38.jpg

And there's no mad rush at ADRL XPS to go to injection.

I would think there is little performance advantage to dollar spent.

BTW the fastest XPS car at Maple Grove last weekend had CARBS!

If they did allow EFI with ECUs, they'd be forced to either hire a bunch of tech people who are familliar with computer stuff, or train their current workforce to enforce said rules.

Neither option comes cheap.

It also has a 900+ inch motor ... that is not very stock.

Actually it is only 822 Cubic inches ..rules only allow Max of 830 Cubic inches with 5" bore spacing and a Lenco Trans
Todd went 4.11 this weekend ..
Back half numbers just as Good as the top Cars... Just a matter of Time

I'd tend to believe this over most other things. With carbs and a race supplied ignition box, NHRA can pretty much control what's in the cars and how they're tuned. With EFI, the ECU controls basically EVERYTHING. So I think they're coming up with a way to police it or supply stripped down ECU's with only the necessary internals. Maybe my wording isn't 100% right, but you get the gist. The other reason that could be high on the list is that they are waiting for one of the manufacturers to become the "official" EFI of NHRA(write big $ checks to them)

Maybe NHRA is waiting for someone to come out with a locked ECU before even thinking about EFI? :confused:

Well then....

If NHRA is waiting for a "locked" ECU , hire the dudes at Chrysler that designed their new ECU. Their new ECUs in the 2011+ models are locked down so tight that aftermarket programmer mfrs have not been able to crack it yet. :eek:

NHRA Tech has enough trouble inspecting the dozens of classes they have now. Adding EFI means the distinct possibility for an illegal traction control device being used. That technology can be undetectable. If you need proof, ask F1 inspectors. They banned traction control years ago and gave up because they knew they weren't being effective at finding it.

Its really pretty simple. Go the route that NASCAR has went. You have one or a couple manufacturers supply the equipment. When you pull into the gate the team is given an ECU that is completely potted. It has a programming port for the teams to download their fuel maps. At the end of the race, the teams give back the ECU's.

As far as the ADRL PS team still using a common carb type manifold...give the engine builders some time to R&D new manifold designs and you will see them evolve.

NASCAR teams are having a hard time because NASCAR rules are very strict on injector location etc which is making it a hard time for the teams.

Here is a link to a sweet video of a REnault dyno session. It has some good views of an optimized manifold for EFI.

Renault F1 Engine - YouTube

Isn't this the same site that rags on "ricers" and the influx of altenative racing technologies and classes? ;)

Leave P/S alone- ya want EFI and computers and representation of modern day showroom cars? There's a class for that...

More of you guys need to sit in the stands longer than just the runs of the nitro cars and see what else races already. PS is the closest representation of what happens when the weekend bracket bomber makes it into the big leagues- moreso than TF or FC. The class is the mad scientist version of the guys with a Camaro with a tunnel ram- and THAT is what Drag Racing is all about: the guys that hit their local track, week in and week out, and still go to speed shops and put cars on jackstands in their garage...

Martin, you nailed it! Thanks

It also has a 900+ inch motor ... that is not very stock.

It's a stock as a 500 ci PS motor, that has nothing in it that's remotely stock.

NHRA PS owners I wouldn't think would buy into the EFI lie.

Why would they be in favor of something that will increase costs even more while payouts remain stagnant?

Bringing in EFI wouldn't be for the benefit of the fans, but rather to appease the manufacturers, aside from Mopar, in hopes of bringing them back to the Pro Stock table. Revamping the class now would be a major nightmare in terms of costs and rules. If an overhaul is to occur, I'd think it would be wise to go back to a small block V8. GM has an all aluminum "small block" 427 that they use in the ALMS Corvette GT car. Admittedly, I don't know if Ford or Mopar have an equivilant.

Did someone bring this thread back from like from '04? Cheating? Traction Control? In this Free Market Economy, have the rules allow both and let the race teams decide which is best...

Just call up Roush/Yates (Ford), Penske (Dodge) and Hendrick (GM) and order a bunch of those small block NASCAR EFI motors and ECUs. Let the teams use those as a starting point and adapt them to drag racing as necessary. Yes, initially the cars will be slower on the track ... Joe 6 pack won't care.

Or, do nothing and continue the status quo, and Joe 6 pack still won't care.

Joe six pack didn't care when there were small block PS trucks. Why would he care now?

If it doesn't belch and snort nitro.....Joe six pack will... get another beer

That was kinda my whole point ... we can reinvent the pro stock wheel ... or maintain the status quo and the average ticket buyer won't care either way.

That's why you don't reinvent the class for the average ticket buyer, or Joe 6 pack. You do it for the brands, GM, Ford, and Mopar. You get them interested again by using technology that is found in some of today's road cars. Make the class viable for the brands to showcase their current and future products.

Just call up Roush/Yates (Ford), Penske (Dodge) and Hendrick (GM) and order a bunch of those small block NASCAR EFI motors and ECUs. Let the teams use those as a starting point and adapt them to drag racing as necessary. Yes, initially the cars will be slower on the track ... Joe 6 pack won't care.

Or, do nothing and continue the status quo, and Joe 6 pack still won't care.
Yeah this comes up every so often and I know you and I have spoken about it specifically. I agree about the motor size, for sure. Make 'em all NASCAR size motors, invite Toyota, SOHC, DOHC, pushrod, variable cam timing, etc. etc.

As far as policing EFI and traction control, I think the best way is to not police it at all. Spec the computer, then turn 'em loose, no holds barred.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back