My useless Pro Stock stat of the day.. (1 Viewer)

Dave

Nitro Member
With the recent conversion to EFI and many saying they still have over 50hp to find in tuning, the times haven't been the greatest. They have really only been .05 to .09 off of existing track records, but that's an eternity in Pro Stock. (Although quite the accomplishment given the monumental change and some predicting they'd be in the 7's at best!) This years best time has been Jason Line's 6.555 at Charlotte. I was curious to how that stacked up in the grand scheme of things. Here's what I found.

Allen Johnson ran the first 6.555 during the 3rd session of qualifying of the Virginia Nationals on October 11th, 2008. Two pairs later Greg Anderson duplicated it. When Jason Line ran it in the first round of the 4 Wide Nationals, it was the 57th time that number has lit up the scoreboards.

I then sorted the all time runs of the class in order of ET followed by date, session, and pair. I know it is a tie compared to the other runs, but I always thought whoever did it first should be ranked highest.

To sum it up, the quickest ET in the EFI era of Pro Stock ranks 1,846th all time. The 6.585 best at the Winternationals wouldn't even make the top 2,500 runs.

I know they will get quicker. They might even make a huge jump at the upcoming Epping race. I was just curious to where they currently stand and thought I'd share with you all.

This year so far I find Pro Stock to be very boring.
It's never much fun for the fans when the same cars win week in and week out.

Right now when you ask questions like Pick the Winner each week you a great chance of being right!!!

Just my opinion but it is just not interesting any more.

Jim Hill
http://www.nostalgicracingdecals.com

Right now when you ask questions like Pick the Winner each week you a great chance of being right!!!

Jim Hill
I can't say I disagree with you, Jim...but I have to say this post surprises me coming from a nostalgia guy. There has been so many drivers that has dominated their class for a certain amount of time just about ever since drag racing has been around. Here is a link to take you down memory lane.:)

https://www.nationaldragster.net/resource-library/past-national-champions-pro.html

Look on the bright side, if this was F1, NHRA would have added a stupid Token system to stifle catch-up development by the other teams, only to abandon it after 3 years (dominated by one team) when they finally realised how dumb it was.

Great post, but I'm just curious as to where Rain Man is getting all of this data to sort through?

Dave, thanks for the stats, and Eugene, thanks for that link.

Each class has had dominating teams over the years. I was kinda surprised that TF has had more different champions (19) during that period than FC and PS (15 each). If PSM had been around for the entire period the total for that class (11) might have increased in line with the others.

Also remember they took 2000 RPM away. How much speed/time is that worth? I bet its a lot closer than it seems.

Last edited:
Great post, but I'm just curious as to where Rain Man is getting all of this data to sort through?

Drag Race Central has session notes archived back to 1998. The internet wayback machine has NHRA.com results from 1996 and 1997. NHRA Live timing archives go back to 2009, though some information is missing at times. National Dragster is a great source of results pre-1996.Bob Frey's old "Did you know?" column on Drag Race Central has a lot of great info. The NHRA 50th Anniverary section of their website has a lot of great archived stories, as well as old results. Nationaldragster.net has a full scorecard you can download that lists every winner of ever national event contested. YouTube is full of old races. Steve Klemetti's drag racing stat page (http://www.printcentralandsigns.com/NHRA/) has a lot of great stuff. Old NHRA Media Guides are usually available on Ebay and are full of great statistics. Plus I've been a diehard fan for the past 24 years and my memory gives me a good starting point of where to look to verify what I remember happening.

So I take all of that, create a spreadsheet. Make a table with fully sortable and searchable columns containing as much info as I can deem relevant, and viola. That's where my list comes from. It's not 100% complete yet.. still a lot of years to fill in. The newer drivers such as Greg Anderson, Jason Line, Jeg Coughlin, etc will be able to have much more detailed records than Glidden, WJ, Shepherd. If you wanna know how many times Jason Line has run down the right lane at Indianapolis Raceway Park, and what his average ET of all those runs were.. I could tell you. I've also filled in all the events, Pro Stock Challenges, Records, etc. Really useless in the general, but it satisfies any questions I have. I also have similar spreadsheets for Top Fuel, Funny Car, Pro Stock Motorcycle, and Pro Mod.

Happy researching!

Here's an example:
PS.jpg
events1.jpg
events2.jpg
events3.jpg

Last edited:
Drag Race Central has session notes archived back to 1998. The internet wayback machine has NHRA.com results from 1996 and 1997. NHRA Live timing archives go back to 2009, though some information is missing at times. National Dragster is a great source of results pre-1996.Bob Frey's old "Did you know?" column on Drag Race Central has a lot of great info. The NHRA 50th Anniverary section of their website has a lot of great archived stories, as well as old results. Nationaldragster.net has a full scorecard you can download that lists every winner of ever national event contested. YouTube is full of old races. Steve Klemetti's drag racing stat page (http://www.printcentralandsigns.com/NHRA/) has a lot of great stuff. Old NHRA Media Guides are usually available on Ebay and are full of great statistics. Plus I've been a diehard fan for the past 24 years and my memory gives me a good starting point of where to look to verify what I remember happening.

So I take all of that, create a spreadsheet. Make a table with fully sortable and searchable columns containing as much info as I can deem relevant, and viola. That's where my list comes from. It's not 100% complete yet.. still a lot of years to fill in. The newer drivers such as Greg Anderson, Jason Line, Jeg Coughlin, etc will be able to have much more detailed records than Glidden, WJ, Shepherd. If you wanna know how many times Jason Line has run down the right lane at Indianapolis Raceway Park, and what his average ET of all those runs were.. I could tell you. I've also filled in all the events, Pro Stock Challenges, Records, etc. Really useless in the general, but it satisfies any questions I have. I also have similar spreadsheets for Top Fuel, Funny Car, Pro Stock Motorcycle, and Pro Mod.

Happy researching!

Here's an example:View attachment 3576 View attachment 3577 View attachment 3578 View attachment 3579

Impressive, Move over Lewis Bloom :)

Jim Hill

It depends on who is doing the dominating really. If it is someone or some team you like, chances are you are more in favor of it. When WJ and Bernstein were doing it I liked it. Force became huge via his domination and guys like Whit, Del, Hoffman and Etchells made names for themselves by being the anti-Force guys.

Yes it can get a bit old, but it will also make beating them that much better. I bet most here were more excited rooting for AJ to win that semi-final matchup than most other semi-final runs at a national event.

The Yankees are perhaps the most loved and hated team in sports. Either way you are talking about them and watching

It depends on who is doing the dominating really. If it is someone or some team you like, chances are you are more in favor of it. When WJ and Bernstein were doing it I liked it. Force became huge via his domination and guys like Whit, Del, Hoffman and Etchells made names for themselves by being the anti-Force guys.

Yes it can get a bit old, but it will also make beating them that much better. I bet most here were more excited rooting for AJ to win that semi-final matchup than most other semi-final runs at a national event.

The Yankees are perhaps the most loved and hated team in sports. Either way you are talking about them and watching
Erica droping one on Greg Anderson

They didn't take away 2000 rpm, but it may be as much as 1000 for some teams, like the KB cars.

To sum it up, the quickest ET in the EFI era of Pro Stock ranks 1,846th all time. The 6.585 best at the Winternationals wouldn't even make the top 2,500 runs.

I know they will get quicker. They might even make a huge jump at the upcoming Epping race. I was just curious to where they currently stand and thought I'd share with you all.

Ok so it took one more event to Englishtown! Jason Line's 6.519 jumps the quickest EFI run up to 472nd all time. That's more like it! It's the 17th time it has been run. Coincidentally Jason was the first person to run that number March 11th, 2011 in the first session of qualifying at the Gatornationals.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back