DVD Reviews (1 Viewer)

Nick

Nitro Member
2007 Year in Review DVD

I just received my 2007 year in review DVD. I wanted to just say it stinks.

Bob Frey did well, however, it appeared to be so quickly thrown together and it was emotionless. I was quite disappointed with how sterile it seemed. No drama at all! The way it was structured was horrible. :mad:

Oh well, I wasn't expecting much anyhow.

Oh, and btw, the Eric Medlen tribute was an insult to a great man. It was very generic and bland.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Thanks for the review - it makes me feel better that I didn't waste the money. The lack of content not withstanding, I found it inexcusable that it wasn't offered in 16:9.

Thanks Nick for your review - it saved me wasting my money. lf they can compress 23 NHRA events into 90 mins, no wonder it was emotionless. :eek:

It seems like it was thrown together as quickly as possible so everyone could go home. It's awful.
If you want to watch 120 minutes of the kind of coverage we get when there is a short show and the espn guys only do a recap of the first round - that's what this video is. Run after run and the big accidents of the year.
No features, no super- slo mo, no incar cameras, it's just awful.
A great opportunity to showcase this sport, and it's boring.
How do you make drag racing boring? It's just an infomercial, and I've seen infomercials that are more entertaining than this thing is.
The only thing they did right was have Bob do it.

Unfortunately, this is not a surprise. In comparison, every season ticket holder for the IRL 500 and NASCAR Brickyard race receives a FREE DVD from the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. IMS Director of Photography Ron McQueeny and his staff spend four months producing each DVD. Then . . . IMS sends out hundreds of thousands to loyal fans (trust me, there are more season ticket holders for each of the two races than the entire membership of NHRA).
I got to spend some time with Ron and Tony George before the Brickyard race - told me that they model their fan experience on Disney's. NHRA suits need to go to one of these races to see how IMS satisfies 300,000 fans.

I only got through the end of pro stock to the countdown to 8...and I had to turn it off! I can think of so many ways that could have been made better...oh well, hopefully they can come out with something nice next year. I was somewhat offended that they didnt do much with the Wally and Eric tributes:(

Unfortunately, this is not a surprise. In comparison, every season ticket holder for the IRL 500 and NASCAR Brickyard race receives a FREE DVD from the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. IMS Director of Photography Ron McQueeny and his staff spend four months producing each DVD. Then . . . IMS sends out hundreds of thousands to loyal fans (trust me, there are more season ticket holders for each of the two races than the entire membership of NHRA).
I got to spend some time with Ron and Tony George before the Brickyard race - told me that they model their fan experience on Disney's. NHRA suits need to go to one of these races to see how IMS satisfies 300,000 fans.

hmmm. I 'd love to see one of those!
and please, don't call it the IRL 500.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought it stunk. Since they only have two hours, they should have totally structured it differently. I feel bad for Bob Frye who has so much pasion for drag racing, but this DVD did not showcase him at all.

Add me to the list of people who thinks that this DVD blows! The Medlen tribute that NHRA put up on the Motel 6 screen prior to Sunday morning first round eliminations was done better than the tribute on this DVD. Wallys tribute wasn`t much better. The old Diamond P 'Year in Review' tapes were waaayyy better.

Add me to the list of people who thinks that this DVD blows! The Medlen tribute that NHRA put up on the Motel 6 screen prior to Sunday morning first round eliminations was done better than the tribute on this DVD. Wallys tribute wasn`t much better. The old Diamond P 'Year in Review' tapes were waaayyy better.

I agree...the old Diamond P ones were the way a year in review were supposed to be done.

Just received my copy, nowhere near as good as the Diamond P review tapes from the 90s.
Best way to describe it is a 120minute infomercial - emotionless, quick, thrown together.
The Diamond P shows had a way of bringing the atmosphere of the race to the screen. This DVD was like the round-by-round re-cap that you get on the ESPN2 coverage prior to the semi-finals or something.
The Medlen and Wally tributes didnt really read like a 'story' as they should have. I have seen some awesome Medlen tributes on YouTube that fans have put together and they left the DVDs effort to shame.
Maybe by going to a 2xDVD version next year, it wont look so rushed, and maybe they can throw in a few interviews and a bit more in-depth stories along the way. After all, the season used to read like a story on the Diamond P versions, not an infomercial..

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back