Drag racing PC - Why Whit Didn't Punch Back At Capps (1 Viewer)

john

Nitro Member
Whit Bazemore Pre-Charlotte | rpm2night.com

Whit speaks his mind this week about the meeting last week in which drivers were basically told not to be boring. He says it'll never work.

Listen to the podcast and find out why. He also tells us why he didn't swing back at Ron Capps when he got punched in the mouth several years ago.

Oh yeah, and he talks about the start of the Countdown to the Championship.

JK

Listening now John, great interview. I really think Whit is a guy who should be out there driving. But then, so should I...:D Seriously though, I really enjoy your interviews John, keep up the good work!

whit is a good driver and a lousy commentator. dont need or want his opinions on tv or pod casts. hope he gets a ride or another job. and stays away from espn

Barry. Have you listened to any of Whit's podcasts? Yes, he can be abrasive, but I think he's done a great job this year in helping me out with rpm2night.com's NHRA coverage.

He definitely speaks his mind! Afterall, isn't that what "we" want?

I guess people will have their opinions. I love hearing from Whit each week, he knows his stuff and speaks well. This weeks podcast was a good listen. However in that last couple of minutes of the podcast, it really made me wish Whit could get another drive or a gig full time on ESPN. Thanks again John.

I listened to the podcast with John and Whit and enjoyed it very much. I'm always interested in hearing the responses and opinions of people I respect on issues that I feel are important to the sport. I'm also intrigued and somewhat baffled as to how the comments involving the meeting I conducted with around 40 drivers, PR reps, and several members of the media in Indy have missed the point and misrepresent what I have been encouraging drivers to do.

First and most importantly, I have never suggested, promoted, or urged any driver to do anything phony, contrived, or beyond their sincere feelings and emotions during any interviews or interactions with each other during competition. Anyone who attended that meeting will concur. I gave examples of how the competitive instincts and aggressive attitudes of drivers in other series often spill over into conflict, confrontation, and controversy yet there is little of that in the NHRA. Are our drivers not as passionate about winning, determined to avoid losing, and consumed by the desire to beat their opponents every time they come to the line? If they are, they need to express those feelings and emotions honestly and not be concerned that they have to contain or sanitize how they really feel.

I would argue that right now, many drivers are not being honest when interviewed. I spent 12 years doing top end interviews for ESPN and the comments I heard from drivers after winning and losing were far different from what they said when the cameras weren't rolling, yet in other professional racing series, the drivers seem to have no trouble telling fans and the media exactly how they feel about their opponents. NHRA drivers are not being honest when they've just beaten someone they really don't like and after torching them they say, "So-and-so is a great guy and I have a lot of respect for him and he always races tough etc. etc etc...." when what they're really thinking is, "I am so PSYCHED that I just whipped so-and-so's butt! Of all the guys out here that I've beaten, he's the guy I enjoy taking out the most!" Why can't drivers say what they feel? That comment wasn't insulting, offensive, or personal. It was racing and that's how racers talk in the heat of the battle.

In NASCAR, when Carl Edwards or Kyle Busch or Tony Stewart get into a tussle and get into each other's faces, is that phony or scripted or contrived? Of course not. It's the competitive fire that burns in their guts spilling over when they have a score to settle. Granted, we're not rubbing fenders in the NHRA but I've heard many, many drivers talk about how they really feel about guys they race all the time and you'll never hear them say those things in front of fans or the media. I hear people say, "Well, the sponsors don't like that and they want NHRA drivers to be nice guys and not stir up controversy." Unless I'm sadly mistaken, the NASCAR drivers I mentioned haven't lost their sponsors for the verbal assaults and pit road scuffles that seem to be breaking out at almost every race. I'm not suggesting we promote fistfights and bench-clearing brawls. I'm suggesting that drivers in the NHRA need to tell it like it is.

Shirley Muldowney did. Big Daddy did. Al Hofmann did. Don Prudhomme hated to lose and although he wasn't one to stir up controversy, you didn't want to be around Snake after he lost a final round (or ANY round for that matter). Fans used to stand up when WJ and Glidden raced each other. When was the last time fans stood up for a Pro Stock matchup? Were any of the above drivers phony? Were they just trying to be "colorful"? They didn't need anyone to encourage them to be passionate about beating their opponents, letting the other guy know they were going down, or expressing their anger or frustration after getting beaten.

I understand there are many different personality types in the sport. But one thing I would hope that they all have in common is that they honestly feel that winning is the greatest experience in the world and losing is the worst. That there are certain opponents who present extra motivation for winning and that it's not just "It doesn't matter who's in the other lane" as we've heard so many times over the years. Even drivers who have the most mild-mannered, meek, and laid-back personalities would fight off an attacker who was trying to take away something that belonged to them; something that they had worked hard for and that meant something to them. Well, every time they pull to the starting line, that's exactly what's happening. The guy in the other lane is trying to steal the winlight away from them, keep them from getting the points they and their crew have worked long hours to earn, and if that opponent wins, he's the one who gets that top end interview on ESPN or the cover photo on National Dragster that makes the sponsors happy. If that doesn't get a driver fired up and into a warrior mindset, pumped with adrenaline and poised to fight for what he feels is rightfully his, then maybe he's in the wrong sport.

As NASCAR legend Buddy Baker once told me, "There are drivers and there are racers. Richard Petty was a driver. Cale Yarborough was a racer."

That sums up my message.

I think the message can be summed up in one word---PASSION. I agree with Bill, I want to see real, honest passion, not some muted down corporate puke.

.........Shirley Muldowney did. Big Daddy did. Al Hofmann did. Don Prudhomme hated to lose and although he wasn't one to stir up controversy, you didn't want to be around Snake after he lost a final round (or ANY round for that matter). Fans used to stand up when WJ and Glidden raced each other. When was the last time fans stood up for a Pro Stock matchup? Were any of the above drivers phony?.......

nope, they were all owner/drivers - my car against yours; not my team car
and driver against your team car and driver....

prudhomme's interview after semi's @ '89 nats.; he was even pissed
when he won!..... thought dunn staged late "tryin' to burn me down"
or something like that :D.... followed by big's (diamond p) comeback "where
in the rulebook does it say prudhomme stages last!"

so bill - you are correct - how/why do i remember an interview 12 yrs. old?
because of don's passion....which continued one round later after exiting
car victorious and hugging w. parks.... that's the real deal rite there.

also remember don winning @ BIR i think in '94 (whatever was last year driving)
.... beat s. kalitta in final - it didn't make tv, but remember watching
him on jumbo tron literally jumping out of car and pumping his fist repeatedly
in victory!

Last edited:
prudhomme's interview after semi's @ '89 nats.; he was even pissed
when he won!..... thought dunn staged late "tryin' to burn me down"
or something like that :D.... followed by big's (diamond p) comeback "where
in the rulebook does it say prudhomme stages last!"

I remember that one as well. Wasn't that the one where he was leaning on his Skoal Bandit like some street racer leaning on his hot rod after shutting down the big neighborhood rival??

He just EXUDED attitude. Still does, really.

whit is a good driver and a lousy commentator. dont need or want his opinions on tv or pod casts. hope he gets a ride or another job. and stays away from espn

Barry, I agree with John K. about Whit's podcasts being the real deal. It's amazing how different Whit is in a phone interview vs. being on camera. He is a natural when talking with John Kernan during these podcasts, and honest too. You may disagree with him, but he at least lets you know where he stands. Thanks Whit. I miss you out there, but I'm glad you hooked up with John to do these weekly recaps of the races.

Shirley Muldowney did. Big Daddy did. Al Hofmann did. Don Prudhomme hated to lose and although he wasn't one to stir up controversy, you didn't want to be around Snake after he lost a final round (or ANY round for that matter). Fans used to stand up when WJ and Glidden raced each other. When was the last time fans stood up for a Pro Stock matchup?

One of the biggest points of this is that theses people mentioned above were OWNERS and DRIVERS....they were the boss!

Not many of those kinds of racers around still in any pro class out there. When you are being paid by team owner, you more than likely need to mind your P's and Q's....

One of the biggest points of this is that theses people mentioned above were OWNERS and DRIVERS....they were the boss!

Not many of those kinds of racers around still in any pro class out there. When you are being paid by team owner, you more than likely need to mind your P's and Q's....

Here's an even bigger point. The owners, sponsors, drivers, and media all have to work together to help give the sport the kind of added attention it deserves. Drivers who open up with honesty and defiance and who approach their job as if there's a war out there; owners who understand that drivers who can express their passion and burning desire to win usually do; sponsors who are savvy enough to see the connection between the intensity and drama of the sport and how it can sell their products; and the mainstream sports media recognizing there's more to drag racing than just two cars going down the track all will generate positive change. When that happens, we all win.

How many of us have children who've played (can't say competed) in sports programs where the "officials" didn't keep score and there were no winners and losers? What a crock! Like Bill said, there are winners and they should be damn happy when they win. And as a result, there are losers - and they should absolutely abhor losing... and not be afraid to show it. That's what makes people work harder... a hatred of losing. Be it a race, or a game, or when competing for a better job, etc.

Nothing pisses me off more as a fan as seeing my team getting beaten on the field and when the camera shows the guys on the sidelines, they're yucking it up. I feel like screaming at them, "Hey, dumbass, you're getting your butt kicked here and it's embarrassing!" Same goes with Drag Racing. Nothing sets me off more than a driver climbing out of their car after losing and saying something lame like, "boy, we missed the set-up and unfortunately the other guy didn't." How about a little reality like, "sonofa*****, I hate losing to that guy!"

Some of the best drama we've seen recently was Force & Pedregon @ Indy when T-Ped, in defense of his brother, blamed Force for taking a dive when in reality, if Cruz wanted in, he should've beaten Force himself, and then Hight. But I'd like to see more reality... It doesn't always have to be nasty, but a hatred of losing should not be something drivers are afraid to display.

BTW, I recall the Prudhomme interview well, I believe it was the '89 U.S. Nationals where Snake was dominating everything... Dunn waited to stage (because he knew he didn't have the tune-up) and Snake didn't like it, and quipped, "doesn't matter, I still smoked him off." Classic!

The sport needs more Bazemore and Prudhomme, but to a point. We don't need to turn into the WWA (or whatever it's called).
Not to sound like a broken record but NASCAR has already seen this. Pemberton's "have at it boys" statement sumed it up. Settle it out there- not in the official's trailer!

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back