Don Gay Sr (1 Viewer)

rip don sr :( very sad day for us true pontiac people. those red altered wheelbase blown infinity cars were aweosme! thanks for the memories don sr.

Wow.... I'm blown away.
Don Gays GTO was the car that got me hooked on funnycars.
Back in the day, the top fuel guys were not too fond of the new breed funnycar guys as they were stealing the thunder. I was solidly in the top fuel camp. One night we were at Lions I was up on the line watching the cars. Don pulls up with the gorgeous candy red Infinity and pulls over by the chain link fence on the right hand side. He gets out the door ( yes door ) and when he shuts it, the front wheels fell over from all the caster and the front of the car moved to the right about a foot and the fender hit the fence.

I thought that was the coolest thing I had ever seen, a door car with as much front end caster as a dragster. How could I not love something as cool as that.

I wanted to do that to a street car. :D I wanted to pull into Bob's and my buddies would have to bail out and pull the front wheels back up straight.

Don; Thanks for that very cool night at the beach, and for all the times I got to see you run.

Jay

gay__don_1.jpg

Don Gay won the very first funny car race that I ever attended. He was an awesome racer.....................Rest in Peace DG.
southland11.jpg

Godspeed Don Sr. and my condolences to Jr. and the family. Those were always beautiful FCs.

Most of you have probably seen the "Most Outrageous...." TV show story about when Don Jr. was running against "The Snake" and had a horrific fire, and Purdomme actually stopped his own car, got out and pulled Don Jr. from his flame-engulfed car before the Safety Safari got there. That was real scary - and an all-time classic for the highlight reels.

Yep Chris, I remember that well. Don Jr was doing well actually doing pretty decent running on his own back then. Don saved his butt that time. Thats one of the nastiest fires I have ever seen.

Most of you have probably seen the "Most Outrageous...." TV show story about when Don Jr. was running against "The Snake" and had a horrific fire, and Purdomme actually stopped his own car, got out and pulled Don Jr. from his flame-engulfed car before the Safety Safari got there. That was real scary - and an all-time classic for the highlight reels.

Heck, I remember watching the original Diamond P show when it aired.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back