Don Garlits Shop 1971 (1 Viewer)

William,

What a wonderful trip back in time. Thanks for sharing this story. I've passed it on to several friends.

Thanks William! I'm always proud to see the contribution that fellow Okies TC Lemons and Connie Swingle made to the legendary success of Big Daddy.

I would encourage everyone to read a copy of Don Garlits and His Cars. A buddy got me a copy at the PRI show last year. This book was written by Big Daddy and he gives details of every one of his street cars and race cars. It's an amazing behind-the-scenes look at the most influential drag racer of all time, and it's only $20 thru the Don Garlits Museum - Gift Shop.

Don Garlits Museum - Gift Shop

Last edited:
That was way cool, it was like being able to get into a time machine and go back and see what that shop was like, with Don Garlits himself giving you a guided tour.

I really liked his comment along the lines of "now they just blast the bottom ends out of them".

I think its a real shame that the economics of the sport went in a direction that made it no longer possible for Big Daddy to actively participate.

I suspect that if it was more affordable he would still be actively participating, not as a driver but as a team owner, what a loss to us that this isn't happening.

Don Garlits should definitely be on the board of NHRA as a competition and technology consultant. This would really help prevent some of the really dumb decisions coming out of the NHRA these days.

Fellas, lets take back control of the NHRA and we can make things like that happen.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back