Gem Hunters (1 Viewer)

rckymtn3

Nitro Member
Sometimes I come across a site, and I wonder, where has this thing been hiding?

If this is old news to you, or you're a Plastic over Wood / iPhone over Drum Signal type of 'Mater, skip my enthusiasm, and this post.

After a search here on Nitromater, I see this site was mentioned a couple of times in Nov 2011, but it's well worth a repeat for those newer folks like myself. Back in 2006, Garlits himself thanks the website for the great photos from his shop(s) in the first article. So yeah, I'm a bit quick to the slow, but I eventually found this site.

A guy named Alan (Currans) runs it, mostly about the UK scene, but within this website, amongst all manner of photos and good reading, was one of the most amazing, informative, and just plain FUN set of articles I've run across in years....YEARS.

Buried within this site is a set of pages called "The Roger Phillips Collection". It deserves to be billed as an art exhibit. The photos are a delight, and the accompanying words penned by Andy Barrack make this group of pages one of my favorite of all time. The Supernationals article is probably better looking, more in-depth and comprehensive than any of the rags published at the time, ND included.

When you have some time, check the rest of his site out, but the following 11 installments are the gemmy GEMS.

It's the 6th installment which I ran across (Supernationals). I got so paranoid that I would lose my place and never find my way back (which has happened to many "finds" of mine), I did a screengrab just to make sure I had a copy of the address.

The photos are worth it, the information is worth it. I had a BLAST.

The website itself is a bit of a puzzle in it's layout, so I posted links to each page of this "Collection" to make it a bit easier for whoever.

Big Daddy, Lions 17th, and the Supernationals and of course the Fuel Altereds are my favorites.

Get ready for a trip in the WABAC machine Mr Sherman, and some of the best 70's eye candy in a long time.

"Big Daddy Don Garlits"

"The Brighton Speed Trials"

"British Drag Bikes of the Early 1970's"

"BDR & HRA Internationals"

"Lions 17th Anniversary Championship Meet"

"Ontario Motor Speedway 2nd Annual Supernationals" Part 1
"Ontario Motor Speedway 2nd Annual Supernationals" Part 2
"Ontario Motor Speedway 2nd Annual Supernationals" Part 3

"Santa Pod Raceway 4th Internationals"

"The Weird & The Wonderful"

"Those Awful Awful Fuel Altereds"

"Class of '71"

"Class of '72"

The home page is here: http://www.theaccelerationarchive.co.uk/

If you liked it, write to Alan and tell him how you feel about all their hard work.

[email protected]

Last edited:
Hi everyone, Alan Currans here, the webmaster of The Acceleration Archive. I would like to take this opportunity to thank Kevin for his very kind comments.
I am sorry he found the layout a bit of a puzzle so I thought I would take a few moments to explain it.
There is a Site Map (http://www.theaccelerationarchive.co.uk/site_map.html). This allows access to the pages of photographs which are listed by photographer in the left hand column. When I started the site in 2002 I only intended to include my pictures but I soon found that other people wanted to get in on the action. If you are reading this in the US you won't recognise any of the names but over here in the UK these people are a Who's Who of 1970/80s drag racing photographers. At the bottom of every page is a link back to the Site Map and to the last and next pages in the particular collection you are in. If you use the Site Map link you should never get lost.
The right hand column on the Site Map shows the articles on the site. Some are reproduced from magazines, some were written by me, and some (Roger Gorringe Reporting) are race reports from the US. There is also a link to the Allard Chrysler Action Group which I host. The Allard Chrysler was the first dragster built outside of the US.
At the top of the page are a What's New link which shows the last ten pages published, a Search facility, contact details and Links to other sites of interest.
I hope this makes things a little clearer.

Welcome Alan, I hope you will continue to visit maters site.
Love to see new insights to this great sport.

So from all the maters, welcome

Hi everyone, Alan Currans here, the webmaster of The Acceleration Archive. I would like to take this opportunity to thank Kevin for his very kind comments.
I am sorry he found the layout a bit of a puzzle so I thought I would take a few moments to explain it.
There is a Site Map (http://www.theaccelerationarchive.co.uk/site_map.html). This allows access to the pages of photographs which are listed by photographer in the left hand column. When I started the site in 2002 I only intended to include my pictures but I soon found that other people wanted to get in on the action. If you are reading this in the US you won't recognise any of the names but over here in the UK these people are a Who's Who of 1970/80s drag racing photographers. At the bottom of every page is a link back to the Site Map and to the last and next pages in the particular collection you are in. If you use the Site Map link you should never get lost.
The right hand column on the Site Map shows the articles on the site. Some are reproduced from magazines, some were written by me, and some (Roger Gorringe Reporting) are race reports from the US. There is also a link to the Allard Chrysler Action Group which I host. The Allard Chrysler was the first dragster built outside of the US.
At the top of the page are a What's New link which shows the last ten pages published, a Search facility, contact details and Links to other sites of interest.
I hope this makes things a little clearer.

It was my pleasure Alan. I had the best time. Thanks again for all the work you put in over there.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back