Dom Lagana Update (1 Viewer)

1612443146263.png
1612442921487.png
If you click on the picture of Dom, The image will look much better.

Last edited:
These legs are so advanced now, even compared to 20 years ago. Once Dom learns to walk w/ them, he can do pretty much anything he could do w/ real legs. Including driving a race car again...

Wow. To see him at this point already is a real feel good moment. I saw a documentary on the Boston marathon bombing victims and it took much longer before they could wear prosthetics. This is great to see.

These legs are so advanced now, even compared to 20 years ago. Once Dom learns to walk w/ them, he can do pretty much anything he could do w/ real legs. Including driving a race car again...
I don't know about driving a race car again, NHRA might have something to say about that. But surely he could work and/or tune one.
It's great to see his positive attitude and progress.

I don't know about driving a race car again, NHRA might have something to say about that. But surely he could work and/or tune one.
Reggie Showers ran a Pro Stock motorcycle with two prosthetic legs... and considering fuel cars use hand brakes, I don't see why Dom couldn't drive again. Just my opinion....

Wasn't there a Alky FC driver back in the 80's/90's who was in a wheelchair? Had to prove they could pull themselves out of the roof hatch in order to get license.

Wasn't there a Alky FC driver back in the 80's/90's who was in a wheelchair? Had to prove they could pull themselves out of the roof hatch in order to get license.
To reply to your post, years ago there was a Nitro Funny Car driver using hand controls at the Firebird Raceway's Pre-Season testing. After that test never heard about him again.

There was Alcohol Funny Car driver Gary Rettell who drove with one prosthetic leg. I think he even won a national event.

Reggie Showers ran a Pro Stock motorcycle with two prosthetic legs... and considering fuel cars use hand brakes, I don't see why Dom couldn't drive again. Just my opinion....
You're right, I forgot about Showers. ☹️

Showers had 2 sets of legs, if I remember right. He used a shorter set to ride the bike & a taller set for walking. I think he said it was easier to ride the bike with the shorter legs.

I miss Reggie. He was a really friendly guy to talk to at the races. I was sorry to see him stop racing.
Not to derail a thread about Dom's recovery, but a quick side note about Reggie..... after my original post above about Reggie, I did a quick google search and found a video about Reggie's 2003 US Nationals winning motorcycle. It's been found in original condition and is currently being ridden by Charlie Farrar in the 4.60 index..... BUT, he has plans to run it this year in the NHRA Pro Stock Motorcycle category. They feel the old chassis can keep up with the new stuff.

As someone with one prosthetic leg for 5 years now, I cannot see him ever driving a fuel car again especially with the two, high on the leg amputations which only increases the difficulty of moving quickly in an emergency situations (such as needing to exit the car in a hurry) as opposed to a below the knee amputation which trust me, helps your ability to move more fluidly by a whole lot. Quick reaction to pedal modulation is also much more difficult. I would love to see it happen though!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back