Doite Team Owner: Driver for 2013 Not Finalized (1 Viewer)

Also, anyone who thinks Hillary never secured money for Ken Black's team doesn't know the facts. Back when she was driving for him, I spoke with her grandfather, Connie Will and asked why they never had any sponsorship on the car. He said that's exactly what Ken Black wanted. He said that several times, when the economy was better, Hillary had approached him about companies she had found that wanted to be involved financially with KB Racing. Connie said that Ken told her, "When you have a sponsor, you need to answer to someone when things don't go right. But by doing it my way, we don't answer to anyone but me". But when the bottom dropped out of the economy, KB himself took a huge hit, as did everyone else who thought they were invincible (doesn't anyone remember David Powers Racing?) and thought otherwise, but by then it was too late. All the companies KB personally turned down were cutting back and nobody had money to spend for a T/F operation and they parked the car. Even then, they kept Hillary on the payroll so she could try to secure sponsorship, which she tried to every single day, but money was so tight there was none to be had so eventually she was let go. Hindsight is 20/20 and all, but for anyone to say Hillary sat on her butt and waited for the world to come knocking at her door is just 100% wrong.

Registered member said:
Dote said the team will bear the total financial burden for Pruett’s licensing test session following the O’Reilly NHRA Nationals at zMax Dragway.

“We’re getting more out of it than just licensing Leah,” Dote explained. “We’re going to try some different things on our car.”

Dote said her team will evaluate those results for implementation on the car and not to determine the 2013 driver.

I am honestly not fussed about this whole deal, I just don't think that the above statement makes any sense....... testing some new things on your car with a driver who has NEVER driven a Top Fuel dragster?

David Powers another crook supported by the majority here.

How was he a crook? My understanding was some people did not get their houses finished but the man lost everything when the real estate market imploded in 2008 (mostly due to the banks he was working with going under). Last I heard he was living off his social security in a rental house.

As for Hillary, I am bummed for her and even more bummed she has decided to walk away completely, but it's the Dote's car, they can make a move if they want. "This is the business we have chosen".

Last edited:
I'm sure that Hillary is just shell shocked by it all. She's engaged to Matt Hines, so I don't see her being away from Drag Racing, she'll be back.

Some folks are good businessmen & women, and some aren't - That's true in everything from Drag Racing to Lemonade stands. I'll say it again, the business side of Drag Racing sucks - both for the drivers vying for (and trying to keep) seats & for the fans. It's often misunderstood and ugly... and human nature is to dislike anything that's ugly. I sincerely hope everything works out for everyone involved.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back