Do you care at all about the " playoffs?" (5 Viewers)

Mike

Nitro Member
Not asking about the points titles per se, only the "playoff" format.

Imo both NASCAR and NHRA misjudge the majority of their fans . If a guy wins the title by 200 points and clinches by Dallas (in the old method), good for him.

Some form of playoff is the norm these days in modern sports. It's not going away. It puts seats in the stands and viewers on TV. Those in charge feel the positives out weigh the negatives.

I don't give it a thought until the last couple of races when the points spread between the top racers in each category tighten up. I'm not a countdown fan but on the other hand, I don't much care for someone being awarded the Championship with 3 races left which happened on occasion pre-countdown. I don't think a solution exists that is equitable to everybody; it just is what it is.

14 races and one round win each all year for richards (348 pts.) and hull (429 pts., higher only cuz of indy)

13 races and 627 pts. for p. lee narrowly missing countdown, albeit losing on holeshot by cruz in E1 indy

hello countdown FC bye runs ...... i don't buy it for a second that the C has increased attendance or ratings for any of the last 6 races.

It puts seats in the stands and viewers on TV.
Prove that one person drove to the track and bought a ticket because of a contrived playoff, who would have stayed home if the points were not artificially reset.

Not a fan. Course I’m not o fan of the Mission Challenge either. The hype of qualifying runs feels like WWF or something
And all the rerun after rerun of the mission challenge. I speed thru it lol

I assume those who hate the countdown must also hate the NFL. NBA and MLB playoffs. In Paul Lee's case, if there was no countdown he would have been 11th and had no chance to win the championship. But it's his money so I understand his decision. The countdown is actually fairer than the other sports where the only advantage to top teams is home advantage. I go to 10 events per year and I like getting to Vegas and Pomona with the championship on the line. Becomes like game 7 in the playoffs. My opinion and I understand many feel the opposite and I understand where you're coming from.

I assume those who hate the countdown must also hate the NFL. NBA and MLB playoffs. In Paul Lee's case, if there was no countdown he would have been 11th and had no chance to win the championship. But it's his money so I understand his decision. The countdown is actually fairer than the other sports where the only advantage to top teams is home advantage. I go to 10 events per year and I like getting to Vegas and Pomona with the championship on the line. Becomes like game 7 in the playoffs. My opinion and I understand many feel the opposite and I understand where you're coming from.

I very much have always disliked the countdown for many reasons stated above and more, but NFL/NBA/MLB are completely different; they aren't getting in based on points, or reset points, but wins. Frankly, all of them are watered down too much already. When it was just the division champs in MLB playing it was different. Now it's out of hand, especially the NBA and NHL. MLB and NFL are sadly heading down that road too, because of TV revenue pressures.

If it's so great and special, then why not reset points in all the categories and not just the pro ones?

Sometimes people clinch a championship before the last event, and that's just life. It happens because that person earned it without the points being reset and I'm fine with it. It certainly wouldn't prevent me from going to an event, because I'm there to see who wins that event and to see racing.

I'd love to see how many times the countdown reset resulted in somebody winning that otherwise wouldn't have. Think someone has posted these stats before but can't recall when, but I remember last year there was a definite difference in at least one pro category.

I assume those who hate the countdown must also hate the NFL. NBA and MLB playoffs.
With the exception of the NFL, the two best teams eventually play each other. In NHRA's format it's possible that the two best cars never race each other.

No system is perfect. End of the day I'd wager 95% of drag racing fans and attendees don't care who wins the championship. They care about good racing at the one event they go to every year.

If any team is crowned champion with 3 races left in the season, it's because they earned it.

Personna;ly. I don't care for the playoff system. And as for the sticl and ball sports, I'm in to it so long as my teams are. Once eliminated, my intrest waines.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back