Do I see a pattern forming here (1 Viewer)

Bluey

Nitro Member
It seems that all forms of motor sport are having financial problems, motor sport is pricing itself out of the advertising game.
In Formula 1, both the Marussia and Caterham teams are seeking solutions to their ongoing financial issues, the former having gone into administration Monday. I fear other's will follow.
The same goes for NASCAR and Drag Racing, the cost of being competitive is way outside the reach of what a lot of company's are prepared to pay for the return they see in advertising.

I believe that all racing in general is going through a transitional phase right now.

I know this is not just happening to drag racing or circle track racers but other such as professional golf, baseball and even certain football teams are having trouble attracting spectators to events.

The costs involved are a major problem but have been for years.

Another thing that I think is hurting major sports is there TV packages which are worth millions to them but also make it much easier for the fans to simply stay home and which their favorite sport on the wide screen TV.

The costs for a family of four to attend any many major sporting event is going to be between $300.00 and up when you consider the tickets, travel and gas, food, and a few other things like tee shirts.

The is no question that for many sporting events you get to see it better on TV then in person and it sure beats spending your money to simply watch it on TV.

With less advertising dollars being spend on these events teams are going to learn to live on smaller budgets in the future and I am sure the payouts are also going to be smaller.

Professional football and baseball teams are going to be offering less money to players in the future.

Right now there are just to many sporting events chasing to few dollars and while I think they will all survive in some form or another I also believe in the future they will all have limited schedules and cut back on major events to just the ones that seem to sell out every year.

All of these changes might really be good for drag racing and circle track racers and even make the sport more affordable in the future.

Change is not always a bad thing!!!!!!!!!!

Jim Hill

http://www.nostalgicracingdecals.com

Professional football and baseball teams are going to be offering less money to players in the future.

The only way this would happen is if the TV contracts go way down. In the NFL and NBA, there is a direct correlation between TV revenues and the salary cap per the player's union collective bargaining agreements. As long as revenues go up, the salary cap goes up and players salaries go up. Both leagues have mega TV deals locked in thru 2022 or longer, so we are a ways off from any salary decrease. As I posted in another thread, each owner of a NFL franchise this year got $187 million just from the TV revenues, the player's salary cap is $132 million, meaning every NFL owner made over $50 million before they sold the first ticket, jersey, parking spot or hot dog.

Baseball is different, they have no salary cap and their TV rights and revenue sharing system is not centralized like the NBA and NFL, each team negotiates it's own TV deals for instance. If there is any type of market correction, baseball will be the first to feel it.

The only way this would happen is if the TV contracts go way down. In the NFL and NBA, there is a direct correlation between TV revenues and the salary cap per the player's union collective bargaining agreements. As long as revenues go up, the salary cap goes up and players salaries go up. Both leagues have mega TV deals locked in thru 2022 or longer, so we are a ways off from any salary decrease. As I posted in another thread, each owner of a NFL franchise this year got $187 million just from the TV revenues, the player's salary cap is $132 million, meaning every NFL owner made over $50 million before they sold the first ticket, jersey, parking spot or hot dog.

Baseball is different, they have no salary cap and their TV rights and revenue sharing system is not centralized like the NBA and NFL, each team negotiates it's own TV deals for instance. If there is any type of market correction, baseball will be the first to feel it.

Wow that's a lot of money per franchise

Honestly, the only thing that's changed is the common average consumer. They (we) have been snake-bit one too many times. The economy has soured numerous times. Each and every time, consumers have gobbled up the "we've recovered!" propaganda and reinvested, as well as making a few large purchases, and numerous smaller unnecessary purchases which pulled the economy up by the bootstraps and got it kick started again. The difference I see is this latest one (2008) has never successfully got the average consumer to spend like they once did. Most everyone got gun-shy/snake-bit. Their (our) faith in this system has been shaken, and never quite recovered like they once were able to get us to do. Guess they (we) finally got tired of the BS and just started acting more responsible with their (our) money and resources.

All this means advertisers have to work harder, to sell less, which can only mean a decline in spending on their part, so, every avenue they've used has taken a hit, auto racing like all other forms of advertising, is proving too expensive to them (corporations) to continue as they did. The lemmings aren't jumping off the cliff anymore.

I never get tired of this info. Of course the owners association will never-ever vote for expansion when the current state is so lucrative. If anything, this just makes me want to own a football team, more than a race team.

If you can afford a football team, I'm sure you could afford a few race teams just for kicks.

Boy there is a some misinformation in this thread that needs clarified.

Baseball is different, they have no salary cap

While being grammatically correct, this statement is demonstratively false. Correct, MLB does not have a "cap". What hey have is a competitive balance "luxury tax" fund. And what that does is, if the NY Yankees spend over a league/owner predetermined amount on player payroll during any 5 year period, they are taxed 22.5% of the overage for the first violation, 30% for the 2nd, and 50% for subsequent violations. That money is, in turn, pooled out to every team in the league. A percentage is supposed to be earmarked towards salary use, but KC Royals owner David Glass was only using about %25 for salary, and pocketing the balance. It got so bad that MLB threatened to get involved and Glass started using the money for what it was intended for.So, while not being called a cap, there is indeed a limit imposed and a tax levied if that limit is exceeded.

Baseball is also unique in that every year during the draft, each team is earmarked a limit (by round and pick position) that it can spend on it's 20+ draft picks signings. However, the teams are also given a pool limit to draw from to spread out to draftees how they see fit. If they want to give their number one pick the whole pool amount, they can. Or, they can spread it out over their top 10 picks if they want, in any increment they choose. There are also loopholes that are quickly closing. One, that I like to call the Yasiel Puig rule, now limits how much Dominican players who didn't play US high school or college can be payed and when they can be signed. There is not, as of yet, an equal system for other international players, but there is indeed one. Each MLB team now makes a posting offer (in blind bid form) to the international players agent, and the player and agent can decide which one to take. The player, the agent, the team and league the player came from all are beneficiaries of this money, as well as possible American player rights from the team the player accepts the offer from. For instance, the Texas Rangers had to pay almost 52 million, just for the right to negotiate for Yu Darvish's services.

The NFL also has a cap for rookies. Keep in mind, Russell Wilson was the 3rd highest paid QB last year. On his own team. That won't last long.

I believe that all racing in general is going through a transitional phase right now.
Another thing that I think is hurting major sports is there TV packages which are worth millions to them but also make it much easier for the fans to simply stay home and which their favorite sport on the wide screen TV.
-------------snip----------------
With less advertising dollars being spend on these events teams are going to learn to live on smaller budgets in the future and I am sure the payouts are also going to be smaller.

There are a couple of things that need addressed in your post Jim. First, MLB is holding steady (if not increasing slightly) in the attendance numbers. While, by over all numbers, MLB attendance was down ever so slightly this year (%0.04). But overall, the past decade has seen 10 of the best years in terms of attendance in history.
The 2014 total finished just 0.4 percent lower than 2013, despite playing five fewer dates (2,421) than last year (2,426). In addition, the 2014 average attendance of 30,458 per game was just 0.2 percent lower than the 2013 average of 30,515.

Major League Baseball finished the 2014 regular season with an attendance of 73,739,622, marking the seventh highest total of all-time, it was announced today. Competitive balance throughout the game and exciting late-year pennant races have led to the last decade producing all 10 of the best-attended seasons in Major League Baseball history.

Now keep in mind, attendance went up over this time, when stadium capacities went down with smaller, more quaint stadiums with less seating, were being built.

As for the dollars being spent, advertisers are getting a better deal by working with TV stations that carry MLB, which in turn means better negotiating power for owners when it comes to broadcast rights of their product. One interesting thing to follow in the next year or so will be to see where the Ricketts family takes the Chicago Cubs broadcast rights. They (Ricketts and the Cubs) wanted way more money than they were getting to go coast to coast, and WGN told them to go pound sand. When nobody else bit on the number they wanted, they are now in negotiations with WGN for a short term deal. Which in turn, WGN is playing hardball (pun intended) over the money and details with. They (Ricketts and the Cubs) may have bitten off more than they can chew.

To make a long story short, MLB and NFL salaries will not go down, and in fact will continue to go up in the future. Despite guys like Billy Beane.

All broadcast rights are doing is opening a different revenue source for teams to draw from. Where the NFL has shot itself in the short term foot is that a few owners (not all) are building Taj Mahal's (oft times at tax payers expense), that are over capacity for today's game. They may not be too large for the game in, say, 10 years though. Jerry Jones was brilliant in his thinking. He built an expansive (and expensive) facility for the Cowboys, but it is also used for NCAA hoops, NCAA bowl games, major concerts, and on and on. But his brilliance was paying for it out of his own pocket. HE gets to keep every dollar spent there. None goes back to the city, county, state, lottery commission, leagues, his mother, nobody.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back