Didn't John Force say he was going to help setup a NHRA TV channel? (1 Viewer)

Speedy_Sticks

Nitro Member
I thought I heard that John was going to speak with racers and others about trying to setup an NHRA instead of having ESPN as TV provider during the Friday ESPN3 coverage?

ESPN exec's sweating over losing the NHRA coverage:

snoring.jpg

Well Barrett Jackson needs a new home and then there are hundreds of classic Hot Rod and Custom Car Shows every year and Pass Time and A bunch of Gearhead Shows and archives of Motorsports spanning decades .

Wouldn't be a stretch to put on a Cable channel for Gearheads who would know 24/7 they could Tune in for that which we can't find any of anymore .

Get someone to do automotive racing related news and then think of the Infomercials about Automotive related products and new rides .

Turn it on and break off the knob !

Well Barrett Jackson needs a new home and then there are hundreds of classic Hot Rod and Custom Car Shows every year and Pass Time and A bunch of Gearhead Shows and archives of Motorsports spanning decades .

Wouldn't be a stretch to put on a Cable channel for Gearheads who would know 24/7 they could Tune in for that which we can't find any of anymore .

Get someone to do automotive racing related news and then think of the Infomercials about Automotive related products and new rides .

Turn it on and break off the knob !

Yes that would be great.......But wasn't there already a channel like that on cable.................what was it called.................Speed...................Now its Fox Sports 1 and it sucks bad.

Fox is CBS .....CBS is Disney....... CBS Disney owns ESPN............. NASCAR On Fox Sports 1, ESPN and CBS, everything else is gone................ now do you get it...........

Yes that would be great.......But wasn't there already a channel like that on cable.................what was it called.................Speed...................Now its Fox Sports 1 and it sucks bad.

Fox is CBS .....CBS is Disney....... CBS Disney owns ESPN............. NASCAR On Fox Sports 1, ESPN and CBS, everything else is gone................ now do you get it...........

A few corrections. Fox is NOT CBS. CBS is NOT Disney. ABC is Disney as is ESPN. Nascar is on Fox and soon to be NBC. ESPN and CBS do not want it. The old TNN was bought by CBS/Viacom (who is nick and MTV, BET, etc) and that's what killed it in the late 90s. Viacom and CBS have since split. But yes, with a little research you'd be surprised just who owns who.

Last edited:

It was half azzed at best . When it started it ran old Diamond P Drag Races and Wheelie Contests before it switched to NASCAR .
Classic and Mussel Car folks and Drag Racing which is the Largest Grassroots Motorsports in the world need a few hours programing .
Between car shows , collector cars , gearhead shows and Drag Racing I think there would be an audience .

Barrett Jackson is one of the few SPEED properties retained by Fox Sports 1, so you shouldn't miss the gavel fall on any cars.

Velocity is owned by Discovery and has a very low market penetration for cable subscribers, it is usually only available on the highest subscribed tier, that was the way it was on Cox in Vegas and Time Warner here in Northern Kentucky. (But I still love the channel anyway)

There aren't enough gear heads to sustain a network, or SPEED and SpeedVision before it wouldn't have folded -or- there would be more automotive related programming on other TV channels. Besides gear heads are the wrong demographic (old). No one under 35 in America gives a dam about cars besides the badge on the grill. My nephew turns 15 on Monday and he said he has no interest in driving until he leaves for college and has no idea what kind of car that he wants. Me and my Dad don't understand how he is related to us LOL!

The only way I would be in favor of NHRA or Force starting their own channel only to be buried on deep cable is if they could do it for less than or equal to what they are paying ESPN. I don't think they can do it for $15 million or less, so being a glorified infomercial on ESPN is what best for the teams and their sponsors. IndyCar, ARCA, the World of Outlaws, USAC etc. all WISH they could pay for the exposure that NHRA gets on ESPN.

Last edited:
How much TV for drag racing was there in 1973? Drag racing was pretty healthy then.
There are far more important issues.

An all NHRA channel I wouldn't think could fly. Now a Drag Racing channel I think would work. It would have to be appealing to a wide group, not just fuel racing. That way the network could attract advertising aka money. There's a lot to cover NHRA, IHRA, ADRL, Nostalgia racing, Imports, Sportsman racing, old Diamond P shows, reruns of past events, there's a lot there. The thing that will drive it is advertising.

Even a station covering all types of drag racing probably wouldn't be enough to carry a station, but maybe all things automotive outside of NASCAR could work. Zero NASCAR, since they are everywhere else, but cover all types of drags, boat racing, bikes, sprint cars, etc. In essence the anti-NASCAR channel.

An all NHRA channel I wouldn't think could fly. Now a Drag Racing channel I think would work. It would have to be appealing to a wide group, not just fuel racing. That way the network could attract advertising aka money. There's a lot to cover NHRA, IHRA, ADRL, Nostalgia racing, Imports, Sportsman racing, old Diamond P shows, reruns of past events, there's a lot there. The thing that will drive it is advertising.

Crickets & Infomercials at 3:30AM.

Unless its got ESPN's program director- then it will be Nat'l event coverage...:D

A few corrections. Fox is NOT CBS. CBS is NOT Disney. ABC is Disney as is ESPN. Nascar is on Fox and soon to be NBC. ESPN and CBS do not want it. The old TNN was bought by CBS/Viacom (who is nick and MTV, BET, etc) and that's what killed it in the late 90s. Viacom and CBS have since split. But yes, with a little research you'd be surprised just who owns who.

You are correct I have my net works confused.............. They still suck.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back