Did anyone read Burk today? (3 Viewers)

rocketman

Nitro Member
Sounds like Bruton Smith is trying to buy both NHRA and IHRA! According to Burk, NHRA would be the pro league with NO Sportsman racing and IHRA would be the development league. The problem is there's no IHRA on the left side of the Rockies other than Edmonton. NHRA would be limited to 16-18 elite teams in each pro division while everyone else would race in the developmental IHRA league. If anything it's an interesting concept that would take drag racing to the next level kicking and screaming.

I could've sworn I heard Burk was NOT smoking that stuff, anymore!

I heard he quit when Willie Nelson did... LOL

Hey I like Burke - I think if he's printing it there is some thread of truth - but my guess is this is more of a few guys talking about 'what ifs' over a few adult beverages or left handed cigarettes - whatever your poison.

It does make for interesting conversation - and if someone would put the two together... maybe... just maybe... the sport could grow to where it needs to grow.

More than likely it's Bader's buddy trying to help him pedal his stock - trying to paint a "big picture" for Smith.... that if he bought Bader's stock... and then was able to buy IHRA... and then maybe buy NHRA... WAITRESS - can we get another round?

Last edited:
I'm not a Jeff Burk basher, rather a "NEEDLER"- he's got the best-rounded online-if not in print - DRAGRACE website going and I'm a loyal follower.

IMHOP I think everybody would like to see a BIG change in NHRA from Mr Compton on down, but, how, why where, does/should our sport go and how should it GROW?

Heaven forbid, we should suggest CONSTRUCTIVE comments!

Do i hear coffin nails being pounded?

They would have to put on a bikini contest after round 2 and a Wet T shirt contest after the semis to kill the massive downtime.

I can't see that happening and fear that it could. The world is that crazy.

By the way Edmonton is close to the rockies but not west of it.

If Bruton Smith does succeed with the purchase of NHRA, the racers will be the ones to benefit along with the fans, Bruton has nothing but the finest racing faculties in the USA, Indianapolis will become a show piece

This must be a hell of a thread to get Tom to chime in. Hey Tom, nice to see your still out their buddy. I hope all is well up north.

If Bruton Smith does succeed with the purchase of NHRA, the racers will be the ones to benefit along with the fans, Bruton has nothing but the finest racing faculties in the USA, Indianapolis will become a show piece

Ross, Bruton Smith has done wonders for the NHRA by producing THE Best facilities in the Country bar none! However eliminating all Sportsman from the Natl. events would destroy the sport! Now a Pro Sportsman show I could lie with; Comp, Alcohol cars and the Pro's! They did that at Gainesville in '02 and it was awesome!

Joe, who's to say that it won't include Top Alcohol and Pro Mod? I still think it can't be done without IHRA present in the western states.

Ross, Bruton Smith has done wonders for the NHRA by producing THE Best facilities in the Country bar none! However eliminating all Sportsman from the Natl. events would destroy the sport! Now a Pro Sportsman show I could lie with; Comp, Alcohol cars and the Pro's! They did that at Gainesville in '02 and it was awesome!

I don't want to get a fight started but, any throttle-stop/index/bracket car racing is plain confusing for the fan.
My goodness, I'm a racing fan and I really like the variety of the cars but,explaining what's going on to a newbie is impossible (Heck, I can't even really appreciate all the tactics and strategy.)
Bring on the Pro-Mod and Alky - all-out cars, rails, bikes (fuel-WOW!), and -dare I say - top compacts - and you'll have plenty to keep the show moving.

Go, Jim.Let's have pedal to the metal racing.
IHRA, after purchase could expand country wide and offer East and West (of the Rockies) Championship series. Do well and move up to the National series, the NHRA.
What ever it is your smoking it's good stuff.
Lee
Nitroclovers

If the day does come that Bruton Smith has control of NHRA and IHRA you can bet that he will make it VERY profitable and fun to watch. He is a very good businessman and knows how to make money at all levels. I hope it happens. He has done great things for NASCAR.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back