Densmore Nails It (1 Viewer)

Hard to argue the logic especially on the costs side..
That said - in addition to a focus on building fields - they've got to improve the demographics of the sport.
Imports seemed to be "the future" some few years ago but IMHO devolved "into something less than a family show" (and I'm no prude).
I think leveraging the FOX tie in would be a step in the right direction.

Hard to argue the logic especially on the costs side..
That said - in addition to a focus on building fields - they've got to improve the demographics of the sport.
Imports seemed to be "the future" some few years ago but IMHO devolved "into something less than a family show" (and I'm no prude).
I think leveraging the FOX tie in would be a step in the right direction.

I get where you are coming from but i bet the same thing was said early on when NHRA first got together. The import or sports compact group had serious racers looking for a place to race but NHRA never really supported them. Its hard to get the next generation involved when you alienated the previous generation.

Lights out and/or no prep is the future. The younger people are going there and to the bikes.
Fake reality shows are not the future of anything. They are short-lived fads. The "younger people" have too short of an attention span devoted to these shows to have any long term impact on real organized racing.

I think the bottom line is are you putting on a show that is worth what you are charging the fans to come out and spend their money on?

To me the answer is YES at certain events like Indy and a few others BUT for many of the other events I think the answer is NO and that is why they fans and racers are not attending other national events..

Someone told me years ago when you think you are putting one over on your customers it's time to start thinking about selling your business!!!!

Jim Hill
www.nostalgicracingdecals.com

Not sure I understand the logic here Jim.
Each national event has its own personality and history - I think - ALL of 'em are good.
Obviously, INDY has an "everybody invited" tradition (and a couple extra days, no?), so, there's something for everybody.

Only "fly in the ointment" (and such would make ANY venue a "bad show") is a lousy car count.

I think the bottom line is are you putting on a show that is worth what you are charging the fans to come out and spend their money on?

To me the answer is YES at certain events like Indy and a few others BUT for many of the other events I think the answer is NO and that is why they fans and racers are not attending other national events..

Someone told me years ago when you think you are putting one over on your customers it's time to start thinking about selling your business!!!!

Jim Hill
www.nostalgicracingdecals.com

every nhra nat. event these days is the exact same.....sum have pro mods, some nitro harleys, some jets....big deal.
even indy....big deal, just a few more cars......if indy means anything, it's a feather in cap for the sportsman winners as they
still race from huge fields......the pros?.....bob bode won a few years back, name anything remotely similar since.

it is obvious nhra is filling the pro fields for the western swing, and i agree the first round racing is pathetic at best.
i was not aware that the leakers did not have to make a Q pass?.....guess i was of the assumption you still needed at least one pass.
guess not, that is too bad.

noticed bir is having jets again this year....first time i bet in about 25 years, glad they are, they are crowd pleasers and a nice ending to
the day's entertainment.....not to mention a teaser to keep the fans in their seats for entire day.....some will still leave, but some will
hang around to see them

Name one racer that was put on the ladder without making an attempt. I'm waiting........

Then name one racer that has been paid ANYTHING more than the normal qualifying money just to show up, NAME ONE! Then I will go directly to that persons trailer and get them to answer that question.

Has NHRA reached out to racers and ask them to participate at events that might otherwise have short fields? Absolutely.

Has NHRA paid anyone any extra money to show up? Absolutely not. If you think otherwise then name one.

As for the first round, is every run down the track a "Final Round Worthy Match-up"? Nope, and it never has been. Sometimes it's marquis match, sometimes it's David vs. Goliath.

First pair of Top Fuel last week? Tony Schumacher vs. Doug Kalitta
First pair in Funny Car last week? Ron Capps vs. Jack Beckman

I guess Dave thought that sucked.......

Alan

wonder if zizzo will make his only 2nd appearance @ BIR in a few weeks?.....a short 8 hr. tow from chicago.....a regional independent
team on a budget towing to the closest nat. events to their home.....makes sense to me, hope they decide to go.

if there are 4 leakers per class you will have 1/2 the first round races lop sided; and about every 1out of 20 (or more) of these races will be
an upset because the touring pro messes up / has freak failure.

Like many of you, I find myself often getting stuck on "the good old days", and I'm only 46. But even so, things have changed quite a bit for even my age group. The more I look at things, the more I think things may not be as dismal as everyone, and even myself at times, thinks.

Yeah, the car counts and attendance are down, but it's that way with many motorsports right now. People seem to be in love with this reality show bullsh!t, and because they packed a local track that holds 5,000 people, think it MUST be more popular than the NHRA big show. Please...... It's the drama and weak suck storylines people get consumed with, just like any other soap opera. They're watching to see who's fuedin' with who and who might stack their sh!t up because they know a good portion of these guys couldn't drive a nail, let alone some of these cars they're building.

Are the things we're experiencing actually pertinent to our sport, or are similar things happening across the board? For that matter, maybe we're in the middle of a culture shift altogether and that's the TRUE challenge in front of Glendora. No matter how you look at it, or the folks calling the shots, it's naïve to think that issues that have been YEARS in the making can be resolved as quickly as many of you seem to think they should be able to.

Sean D

Fake reality shows are not the future of anything. They are short-lived fads. The "younger people" have too short of an attention span devoted to these shows to have any long term impact on real organized racing.
Nothing said about TV shows. Lights out and the bike thing has been around longer than any TV show. However, what the TV show has done is show people that tyhere is a type of heads up drag racing you can actually do.

When and why did the pairings change from. 1 V 9 to 1 V 16?
I believe the first order had a better result.
Sure sometimes the #16 will get lucky but the 1 V 9 had a closer matchups and potentially more upsets.

i was not aware that the leakers did not have to make a Q pass?.....guess i was of the assumption you still needed at least one pass.
guess not, that is too bad.
Staging a car and taking the green light under it's own power is a minimum requirement to be placed on a qualifying list. It's also enough to win a round on a natural bye or no show bye round. Not doing those two things will also result in a loss during eliminations. I think it was Brandon Bernstein who lost on a 1st round bye when he banged the blower on the burnout.

When and why did the pairings change from. 1 V 9 to 1 V 16?
I believe the first order had a better result.
Sure sometimes the #16 will get lucky but the 1 V 9 had a closer matchups and potentially more upsets.

Harry,
I don't recall the year but it was done quite a while ago and the reason is that it rewards everyone on the ladder for qualifying better. Here's a couple of examples.

On the old ladder if you're #8 why would you try to move up knowing that you are going to race #16 the slowest guy in the field? #8 would be the best possible spot.

Also if you're #15 you would be paired with #7 , in theory a decent draw, but if you move up to #9 then instead of racing #7 now you would race #1 you are essentially punished for improving.

With the ladder we use now, no matter where you are on the sheet, if you improve you will race a slower guy. you are always rewarded for stepping up.
Alan

To answer the ladder question, it was announced at the end of 1989 and started with the 1990 Winternationals. How did that work out for the #1's? In Pro Stock, Top Alcohol Dragster, and Top Alcohol Funny car, the #1's went on to win the event. (Jerry Eckman, Blaine Johnson, Cruz Pedregon) In Top Fuel, Gene Snow made it to round 2. But in Funny Car, #16 K.C. Spurlock beat #1 John Force in round one and went on to win the event in his very first pro start.

From the November 10th, 1989 National Dragster:

20160730_114106_zpsb3y59i6w.jpg

wonder if zizzo will make his only 2nd appearance @ BIR in a few weeks?.....a short 8 hr. tow from chicago.....a regional independent
team on a budget towing to the closest nat. events to their home.....makes sense to me, hope they decide to go.

if there are 4 leakers per class you will have 1/2 the first round races lop sided; and about every 1out of 20 (or more) of these races will be
an upset because the touring pro messes up / has freak failure.
We will not be at BIR.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back